The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 5, 2012, 03:17 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

I kicked some funds in as soon as I became aware of the project, and kept sending the updates through my "pro-gun" network. From there, I convinced a few people to back the project -- everywhere from DC, to North Carolina, to Pennsylvania, to New Mexico, to Montana; but not one person from California.

It's definitely a nation-wide project (as intended).
Old October 7, 2012, 03:21 PM   #27
DeadPatriot

Hiya, Folks –

I want to thank everyone for the support of our documentary,
“Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire.”

We have reached our goal for initial funding, and are now officially in production.

Thanks again for all of your ideas, information and pledges; its good to know you are here and ready for this film to be made!

Anita
Dead Patriot Films
Old October 10, 2012, 09:08 AM   #28
StainlessSteel215

Cant believe I JUST found this thread now.....I am focused on being as politically active and loud about protecting the constitution as possible and proud to support this film. This video trailer looks amazing - you sure have balls guys! I see you have made your goal but I will show my support by donating today.

Keep fighting the fight - hope this film makes sundance and eventually top media outlets!
Old October 10, 2012, 09:29 AM   #29
StainlessSteel215

I see that donations are closed now....how can I donate and sign up for the DVD once its released? Thanks Kris & crew
Old October 25, 2012, 09:21 AM   #30
aaronsc

Quote:
I see that donations are closed now....how can I donate and sign up for the DVD once its released? Thanks Kris & crew
Ditto that.

I hope you'll keep us posted on release dates and/or airing date and time. Thanks.
Old January 24, 2013, 01:19 AM   #31
FrankenMauser

This project seems to have gone over budget, or the actual financial requirements were not properly disclosed, originally. (Lean toward the latter.)
The Assaulted team is now trying to raise another $70k for post-production, before the film can be released.

If you missed your chance to donate, in the previous drive, now is the time.
And, for people just becoming aware of this project... give it some thought. There is no better time, than now.

Kickstarter page for the current funding drive: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...nishing-fund-c

The latest project update:
Quote:
We were hoping that some deep-pocket finance types would have shown themselves by now to help us carry this film to the finishing line, but no such luck. Therefore, the crew and I have decided to return to Kickstarter to raise the funds needed to complete the film and take it to theaters by March to be part of the “conversation” while congress debates our 2nd Amendment rights.

Yes, theaters!

Using a similar distribution plan used by the recent film 2016, we’re going to self-promote and distribute the film in major US cities “art house” cinemas. With strong positive reviews, we will then secure traditional distribution. Once the theatrical release is completed, we will then distribute a TV edit to PBS/PTV affiliates for broadcast. Netflix and web streaming will follow by the end of spring.

What happened to the funds from the first round? In the 90 days since receiving $64,000 from Kickstarter (yes, they take a commission!), we hit the road and conducted 50+ interviews and gathered some great footage. Our travels took us up and down California, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Florida and Louisiana. Expenses included t-shirts, hats, insurance, salaries, fuel, lawyers, hotels, airfare and food. We also covered the small loans that carried us from May to October when we were developing the concept for this film.

Now we will recharge the till, set the editor and his crew to work and craft the film that is needed now more than ever. We hope that each of you will consider another donation to our film to help us communicate the importance of “we the people” and the right to “keep and bear arms”.
Old January 24, 2013, 06:05 PM   #32
DeadPatriot

Frankenmauser -

Please look back over all the threads on the various boards and listen to the radio interviews including Guns Rights Radion.The budget has always been $175K.

We had hoped someone with deep pockets would make up the difference with an investment in the film, but that hasn't happened yet. So we move on with another campaign.

Thanks for your support! Together we can educate the masses.

Kris
Old January 24, 2013, 06:08 PM   #33
CowTowner

Kris, I'm back in! As a California ex-patriot (La Mirada), I can't let this project die now.
Time to help finish the project.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old January 24, 2013, 06:08 PM   #34
maestro pistolero

Thanks again for the sticky on this and for everyone's support. If you haven't seen the new trailer, it has been re-edited, again with the post-scoring or yours truly. It is a rare opportunity to bring my music production/composition skills to the cause.

I donated my time for the trailer, because I see the value and timeliness of this project, and I believe in the ability of the creative team to do it justice.

FYI, FrankenMauser, the film is not over budget. As I think Kris Koenig will clarify, the first Kickstarter drive was to get it started.

BTW, 175k is be a lot of money to you and me, but in the movie world, it's not even beer money. Editing alone is a time consuming, expensive, and critical part of the process, more than most could even imagine.

50 interviews in the can, with a who's who of the 2A activism world. Amazing. Excited to see this moving ahead.
Old January 31, 2013, 03:38 PM   #35
DeadPatriot

Kickstarter 2 Week #1 update

It’s been one week since we launched this campaign and we want to thank each of you for your early support. The fact that each of you believes in what we are doing is more important than your donations, but we need your pledges and more to complete this film.

Entering into the post-production process for me is a love-hate proposition. On one hand it means we’re closing in on a finished product and on the other, it means hours of writing, debating with Anita and the voices in my head to hammer out a script for the editor to begin his work. I am proud to tell you that we have crafted a solid story arc and are now combing the transcripts to find those interview bites that will drive our film. History, laws, engineering, stories of oppression, individual triumph and the roots of American culture all mixed up in a recipe of visuals and sounds to convey one of the most important civil rights we have – the right to bear arms.

A couple of weeks ago, I was having dinner with some friends at the SHOT show. One of them turned to me while we were eating and said that I was either a genius or damned lucky to have this film nearly completed. Well, I don’t think of myself as a genius, and I know many who would agree with that statement, but I do feel incredibly lucky to be able to bring this story, our story, to the screen when it needs to be seen the most. With a little more luck and your support, we’ll deliver this film in 60 days.

To make this deadline, I need to ask for your continued help. Please share the link to Kickstarter campaign with your friends and ask them to join us to make this film a reality.

http://kck.st/VZmXBM

Thank you,

Kris
Old January 31, 2013, 07:41 PM   #36
Daugherty16

grammar lesson, sorry!

Great project, wish you all the luck and will certainly be watching for the release. I hate to be negative, but wanted to mention that on your main webpage for the project, the following sentence appears:
When the subject of gun control laws are discussed, rarely are they associated with the civil rights movement and the quest for equal rights for all.

Basic english grammar informs that "subject" is the subject of this sentence, is singular, and that "are" and "they" are incorrect. Written correctly, it would read:

When the subject of gun control laws is discussed, rarely is it associated with the civil rights movement and the quest for equal rights for all.
"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness... How pathetic." - - Ted Nugent

"Cogito, Ergo Armitum Sum" - (I Think, Therefore I Am Armed)- - anon.
Old February 1, 2013, 01:00 PM   #37
DeadPatriot

Wow! Our Kickstarter campaign had a $6,670 rally yesterday. That puts us just shy of $15,000 and 20% of our goal with 15 days to go.

This is the week to push forward to our target. Please let your friends and family know that we need their support to complete this important film.

Share the link - http://kck.st/VZmXBM

Thank you,

Kris
Old February 10, 2013, 12:53 AM   #38
rc

I want to mention something. In California during WWII some people of italian decent had their weapons seized for the duration of the war. It was not just the Japanese. The only difference was the Italians were not interned. My great grandfather could not even keep his single shot 12 guage which was returned after the war because he was born in Italy. He had been a U.S. citizen since before 1920. My grandfather who was born here was allowed to keep his guns.

Are gun owners the new Jews?

Jews were used as a scapegoat by hitler to blaime for the ills of germany and give people a focus for their hate and anger. People hate what happend in Newton. They are angry that this could happen and are taking their frustration out on a group that the government has turned into public enemy #1 (gun owners). While this is not "racial", the parallels are there.... It can't be the government's fault for establishing "gun free zones" and taking away peoples right to defend themselves. It must be those gun nutz fault...

Last edited by rc; February 10, 2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old February 12, 2013, 01:58 PM   #39
DeadPatriot

^^ RC, thanks for this input
Old February 12, 2013, 03:05 PM   #40
mtrvl

If this movie does not air soon, it will not be of any help. The wheels are turning and the door is slamming shut on our Second Ammendment.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:21 PM   #41
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

^^ And that is why the shift in focus from on CA's restrictive firearms laws to laws across the nation (predominately showcasing CA law) and showing this in theaters, instead of just PBS.

That shift began with the recent election and sharpened with the Newton shooting.

It's also why the production staff is again using Kickstarter to get the additional funding to get this documentary rolling as soon as possible.

If you have any spare change, even a dollar, donate please! It is extremely important that this get into the public, now.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:25 PM   #42
MLeake

Just donated to the cause, but looks like they still need over $30K in donations within the next 4 days...
Old February 16, 2013, 03:41 AM   #43
schneiderguy

Less than $3k to go and less than a day left. Donate now!
Old February 16, 2013, 05:24 AM   #44
MLeake

I doubled down, but apparently they had $5k of backers renege, so they need more people to contribute.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:02 PM   #45
MLeake

Just curious, received several emails saying that production souvenirs (t-shirts, etc) would begin shipping to donors a while back, but I have not received any packages.

Has anybody else?

The emails came from a no-reply address, so I can't email the producer to ask.

Based on a FoxNews article today, the documentary should air next month, but I think BarryLee has started a separate thread about that.
Old May 23, 2013, 10:26 PM   #46
dakota.potts

I will make sure to watch this. Wish I had caught it in time to contribute!
Old May 23, 2013, 11:33 PM   #47
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

The documentary will begin showing in selected cities on June 20th. That is the point at which the DVD/BlueRay disks will be shipped.

The official MPA trailor is available to view here: Assaulted: Civil Rights Under Fire - Theatrical Trailer

Kris & crew have been able to get Ice-T as the narrator of the documentary. That’s big news by itself. The Fox News article on the production is here: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...ntcmp=features

If you haven't yet received your T-Shirts and other paraphernalia, I'll try and get the addy to get a hold of Kris.... Maestro? You got that one?
Old May 23, 2013, 11:43 PM   #48
maestro pistolero

I just emailed him to call this thread to his attention. I know it's crunch time, but I expect he'll reply soon.
Old May 24, 2013, 01:25 AM   #49
dakota.potts

Maestro, as an aspiring soundtrack composer/sound designer, I look doubly forward to this. I've also just offered my time to process audio for the Florida Carry, Inc. audio blogs.
Old May 25, 2013, 04:34 PM   #50
maestro pistolero

Kris informs me that the T-shirts " . . began shipping two weeks ago".

By the way, because of the urgency to release the film, there was no time left for an original score. The soundtrack was constructed of high quality cinematic library music. I was, however, able to work on the first two trailers. Kris assembled a fantastic team for this project.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; May 25, 2013 at 04:39 PM.