The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 6, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Rachen

Has anyone here dropped a gun or cylinder or had one fall before?

I carry my Navy Model LeMat as a truck gun and carry gun all the time and one time when I had the gun disassembled for cleaning, the cylinder rolled off my workbench and landed smack on the steel floor of the truck's sleeper cab.

Being the type of guy who put safety ahead of everything else, I sent the cylinder in for inspection by a gunsmith and everything was fine. But when it landed on the floor, that feeling of utter nausea flowed right through me like some noxious chemical fume

I had cylinders roll on me other times before too.

Has anyone here ever had that happen to them? Were there any damages done to the gun, cylinder, barrel, etc......?
Old August 6, 2012, 03:57 PM   #2
g.willikers

Think of the pressures guns and their parts are subjected to when they go off.
They are mighty tough.
Other than superficial damage to the finish, they are hard to hurt.

When I was a kid, I was fast drawing my trusty six shooter and flung the thing clear across the basement.
It bounced on the cement floor at least twice.
Other than a few very hard to see scratches and a new flaw in the grips, there was no damage.
I just wiped it down and took it to the range.
Without any more fast draws, though.

At a match, I saw a guy so frustrated with his shooting that day, that he emptied his very nice and expensive custom 1911 and threw it across the gravel bay.
No real damage, other than some abrasions to the finish.
Yeah, he got thrown out of the match.
Old August 6, 2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Hawg

I've got one that when I was young it got dropped, thrown, rode around in the bed of a pickup on gravel roads. It's been submerged in a river several times and spent a week under flood waters. It's still one of my best shooters. Doesn't look too sporty tho. What kind of truck do you have with a steel sleeper floor? I drove trucks for over 35 years and all my sleepers had aluminum floors covered with carpet.
Old August 7, 2012, 08:06 AM   #4
noelf2

After trying some quick draw techniques with my first remmie, and dropping it (on carpet fortunately), I'm pretty careful with my guns now. I do have an old Daisy spring action BB revolver from my youth that I tend to abuse instead. Still shoots but it looks like it's been through hell. Kinda has
Old August 7, 2012, 09:48 AM   #5
Smokin'Joe

Am I the only one thinking "Your carry gun is a what?"
Old August 7, 2012, 10:20 AM   #6
Rachen

Well, I have carried it and used it for a long time. Very comfortable with the grip, weight and feel.

It shoots nice and powerfully. I can hit a standard combat target up to 100 yards away with the .44 rounds and the grapeshot barrel is a nice backup to have.

So yep I have been called an eccentric type of guy, but then, to each his own I guess

Hawg, it is a Freightliner belonging to a intermodal container carrier. It might be aluminum, I never paid too much attention. It is shiny and purty and has these rivets that look like it belongs on an aircraft When the cylinder fell, it actually dinged the surface a bit, and the cylinder also received a tiny chip on the edge where it hit.
Old August 7, 2012, 11:02 AM   #7
BlueTrain

Never a black powder gun but I've dropped one or two revolvers when practicing drawing, which I don't especially like to admit. However, the worst case was when the Browning Hi-Power fell off a shelf about eight feet off the ground and landed on the hammer on a concrete floor. But nothing broke or bent.

That's what I call the jelly side down theory of dropped objects.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 7, 2012, 12:53 PM   #8
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, it is a Freightliner belonging to a intermodal container carrier. It might be aluminum, I never paid too much attention
It's aluminum. That's what my last driving job was, pulling containers out of New Orleans. My last ride was a Columbia class Freight Shaker.

This is the Remington that suffered all the abuse a 12 year old could dish out with Mother Nature helping all those years ago.

Old August 7, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
ChuteTheMall

Yep, second day of a big annual match, and I hadn't missed a single target when suddenly I missed my left holster.
SDQ.
Otherwise, no harm done, because it's a Ruger Vaquero.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:37 PM   #10
Rachen

Hawg, wow, that Remington looks like it rode with a frontier scout throughout his entire rugged career The patina is very beautiful and gives it a sense of antiquity. I think it looks very sporty. Who made this one? Was it one of these earlier Italian repros imported by Hawes?
Old August 8, 2012, 05:51 PM   #11
Hawg

It's a Rigarmi. Actually it didn't originally look quite that bad. I replaced the loading lever and it looked so funny with the new shiny lever I decided to defarb it and antique it. The gun was made in 69 and by 70 all the bluing was gone and it had a kind of grey color. After spending some years in moms attic it had rust and minor pitting in places. I just kinda evened it all out. It may not be for everybody but it looks very much like the original I once had.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:57 AM   #12
Ideal Tool

Hello, Rachen. In all the westerns, both the good & bad guys had to drop their guns when someone got the drop on them! And to think in those earlier films..they were using authentic 1st. gen. Colts..ouch!
Old August 9, 2012, 04:44 AM   #13
Moloch

A friend of mine dropped his Kentucky .45 muzzleloader and it fell straight on its barrel. Bent the barrel so badly that he can barely hit the targets at 50yds with his front sight all the way to the left .
Old August 9, 2012, 10:05 AM   #14
g.willikers

That must have been a soft barrel or something.
There was a fellow at the range one day, who had a 44Magnum Marlin 94 with a big dent at the corner of the front of the barrel.
He had done the same thing, dropping the gun muzzle down on concrete.
But the rifle shot just as good as always.
Old August 9, 2012, 10:36 AM   #15
Moloch

You may be right, if I remember correctly his Kentucky rifle is made in Spain, Ardesa, Dikar something like that.
Old August 9, 2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Rachen

Hawg, I think it looks superb. It would be a real eye-catcher if you show up to a CAS/SASS event with it. Everyone will want to know if you are sporting an original.

On the Kentucky rifle: Is the bend visible to the naked eye? I think I would just go get it straightened out by a gunsmith or just get a new barrel for it.

It is a gut-wrenching feeling when something that is valuable like that gets dropped. The first thing I worried about when that cylinder rolled off was that cracks might develop in the cylinder, that is why I sent it in to get checked.

Does things like that happen on a frequent basis? I see movie guns get dropped and I cringe when that happens.
Old August 9, 2012, 11:59 AM   #17
BlueTrain

A lot of movie prop guns are made of rubber.
Buy War Bonds.
Old August 9, 2012, 12:16 PM   #18
Rachen

Bluetrain, yeah I expect any kind of look-alike can be used as prop guns.

Lets bring this thread back on to guns meant for live-firing, and black powder revolvers specially.
Old August 9, 2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Hawg

If you could crack a cylinder by dropping it imagine what would happen if you filled it with black powder, stuffed a lead ball in one end to plug it and then set the powder off.