The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 29, 2010, 12:27 AM   #1
colospgsAVID

Cabelas Hazardous Material Fees

Hi All,
I am considering a group order from Cabelas consisting of primers and powder. Is there a separate handling fee for each hazardous material? I've had an E-mail in to Cabelas for a while now and haven't gotten a response. Any body else bought both in one order?

Thanks in advance for any experiences in this matter.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:30 AM   #2
CarterMccoy

If you cant wait.....

If you cant wait, then you most likely will pay a seperate hazmat fee for each package.

see if you can find it locally first, the hazmat fee translates into a whole pound of powder (7,000 grains makes alot of ammo!)
Old January 29, 2010, 12:34 AM   #3
Bronco4me

There is a $20 Hazmat fee for up to something like 48lbs, and yes, you'll pay shipping costs on top of that. That's why you need to get a good sized order to minimize that Hazmat bite.

FYI - You'll find that any shipment of *dangerous* material carries the Hazmat charges from UPS or FedEx...

Last edited by Bronco4me; January 29, 2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old January 29, 2010, 12:41 AM   #4
BDX

Actually

I just had a conversation with one of their customer service reps (but you should verify this too); According to him the fee is charged per order not per shipment or item. So apparently you pay the 20 dollars for the order, even if primers are sent after say powder. I was more than pleased with that bit of news!
Old January 29, 2010, 01:18 AM   #5
colospgsAVID

Thank's BDX.
That's what I wanted to hear. The primers needed are in stock but not so with the powder. They would have to be shipped separately.
Any body else?

EDIT: I would rather not wait as I have monitored the situation and I don't think the quantity needed will be available soon.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:29 AM   #6
Qtiphky

Double Check before yes

Last time I ordered powder it came from two different manufacturers and I was charged the hazmat fee twice. They charged me for the first order and when the backordered powder shipped, they charge me again. About six months ago.
Old January 29, 2010, 07:50 AM   #7
parttime

I ordered powder and primers from Cabelas six months ago on one order. I was charged "1" hazmat fee of $20.00 at the time of the order when the powder was shipped and the same Hazmat fee covered the primers that I received last week. If they charged you twice for one order, then I would call them and I am willing to bet that they will credit you with one of the fees.
Old January 29, 2010, 03:22 PM   #8
heartbeat

my brother ordered several different powders from cabelas and each came seperatly, but only 1 hazmat fee. this was last summer.
Old January 30, 2010, 12:36 AM   #9
colospgsAVID

So I assume there's a different "fee" for each type of material? Primers being different than powder?
Old January 30, 2010, 02:04 AM   #10
BDX

@colospgsAVID

Quote:
So I assume there's a different "fee" for each type of material? Primers being different than powder?
No the fee is charged once...per order not per shipment(see below), even if two different materials on the same order require a HazMat label and are shipped at different times. Again this is from my conversation and it appears to be backed up by Mr.partime's post above.

This is Cabela's policy and may not be the same from another vendor.

Last edited by BDX; January 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM. Reason: add display