The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 22, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Long-Goodbye

Which state would you move to?

I am considering moving out of state after I get out of the police academy.I am a Conservative hunter and Gun nut.So which state would you choose.My demands are for variety of big game and bird hunting,remote areas to rome,horse friendly environment and lack of liberals.Point me to my new home.
Old August 22, 2006, 11:33 PM   #2
Bigfatts

Florida's gun/hunting laws are some of the best. That being said, I am thinking of Tennessee in the near future.
Old August 23, 2006, 12:53 AM   #3
JMK

Eastern washington maybe? All kinds of stuff to shoot at. Stay away from the west side though. All kinds of hippies...
Old August 23, 2006, 02:07 AM   #4
trooper3385

Texas

I think you just described Texas to a tee. What state do you live in right now?
Old August 23, 2006, 02:32 AM   #5
Long-Goodbye

Missouri

Right now I live in MO.I like the land and the game,but bird hunting has become a canned hunt affair and big game hunting has become a exercise in escape and evasion from an attack of drunken city dwellers.I know that not all city dwellers are that way,but enough of there brethren have made me all but give up firearms season and go mostly archery.I am looking for the best this nation has to offer.I am very interested in states that have very low populations compared to land area.There are obvious places like Alaska and Montana,Idaho is tops on my list but I intend to leave no stone unturned.
Old August 23, 2006, 08:22 AM   #6
FirstFreedom

Wyoming, Montana, Utah, Idaho, maybe Colorado. I'm looking at Wyoming hard for someday. LOTS of game to hunt, places to roam, and gun friendly. Texas and Tenn are gun-friendly, but not quite the variety of large game to hunt.
Old August 23, 2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Clayfish

Also consider Georgia. We have a good long deer season with a limit of 12, No season or limit on hogs, great quail and dove hunting, and are gun friendly.

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga....?TopCategory=2
Old August 23, 2006, 11:21 AM   #8
smooks75

Why not Nevada. We have some good gun friendly folks here. Easy to get permits on just about everything, and machine guns are very popular here!
Old August 23, 2006, 11:25 AM   #9
slow944

Going to Texas

As Davy Crockett stated after looseing the election in Tennesee. And I quote
" The Rest Of You Can Go To HELL, I'm Going To TEXAS."
Old August 23, 2006, 12:13 PM   #10
Scorch

Having lived all over this wonderful country, and given the options listed, I would vote for a move to Nevada, Utah, or Idaho. Low populations, mild winters, lots of game, lots of open spaces to roam, horse-friendly, pretty much everything you mentioned. Plus some of the most spectacular scenery you will ever see.
Old August 23, 2006, 12:20 PM   #11
smooks75

Scorch.....

That's what I was thinking! All aside...I love it out here. +1
Old August 23, 2006, 12:21 PM   #12
Scorch

Smooks75-
I love it there too, and I would move back if I could find a job there.
Old August 23, 2006, 12:28 PM   #13
smooks75

Scorch....

I moved from the Bay Area after the Army in 1990 and have moved to Portland and back. We like it here MUCH better. I do miss the rain though!
Old August 23, 2006, 02:55 PM   #14
torrejon224

+1 on eastern Washington or even central/eastern Oregon. However Montana and Idaho have always been top on my list.
Old August 23, 2006, 02:59 PM   #15
Scorch

smooks75-
I was in Reno until 1988, lived in Idaho until 1993, lived in central Oregon until 1998, now in the Puget Sound area. It's OK here, but I would much rather be back in Idaho or Nevada.
Old August 23, 2006, 03:08 PM   #16
Long-Goodbye

Idaho looks good

I also forgot to mention winter sports.I have always wanted to get into snow boarding.Our climate is changing here in MO.We have not had a proper winter in 2 years.I spent some time in Jackson Hole and would also consider that as an option.I would also like to live near other conservative people.Here we have a lot of lybs and even more democrats of the rebel flag persuasion.I spent two months in Salida CO.It was an amazing place surrounded by the 14ners.Thats right a range made up of some 6-8 mountains all over 14,000 feet,but from what I understand the town was founded by hippies back in the 60s.They were not aggressive like the modern libs but it was hard to find a good meal that wasn't vegetarian Pizza or some damn kinda fish taco.I actually found a little place that would serve me a stake and they put fruit on the plate next it and put Cinnamon in my Iced tea.But it was fun living there as the odd ball in my camo jacket and hunting boots.Lots of UFOs too.
Old August 23, 2006, 03:12 PM   #17
jhgreasemonkey

Stay away from western Washington. It has become over crowded and overpriced. Going anywhere and doing anything is an expensive time consuming hassle now days. It didnt used to be like that. The hunting areas have receded and disapeared and the ones left are hunted so heavily that you cant hunt without 100's of other hunters in the area. Once you cross over the mountains into eastern Wa its better but theres not as much work.
And the comment about the hippies is true. If only we could get a hippie hunting season.
Old August 23, 2006, 03:16 PM   #18
Wildalaska

There is only one place for you

And heres some jobs:

http://www.muni.org/apd1/jobs.cfm

WildseeyaAlaska
Old August 23, 2006, 03:25 PM   #19
Long-Goodbye

A more cuddly liberal

I actually don't mind living among hippies.They seem very passive compared to the Hillary Rodom Feminazies.You can just stand up-wind and observe them talking about being meet free in one sentence and making multi-million dollar real estate deals via cell-phone in the next.But they can be somewhat aggressive when it come to anti-hunting strategy.God please just plant me in the mountains among some real tobacco spitting red-necks.
Old August 23, 2006, 03:29 PM   #20
littlmak

Escape to Wisconsin, We have lots of near wilderness up north. Filled with blackbear and 200 + lb. whitetail. Goose, duck, phesant, grouse, woodcock. Plus muskie & northern pike if you like to wrestle big fish. There's no concealed carry yet, but here comes another election. Make yourelf at home, register, and vote!
Old August 23, 2006, 03:30 PM   #21
FirstFreedom

Scorch, I agree but:

Why not Wyoming?

Or Montana?

DOH! And we did forget Alaska too, yall, as WA pointed out. It's the most open AND beautiful AND gun-friendly of them ALL! A bit chilly though....

I'd probably rank my choices something like this, from what little I know, taking into account both gun-friendliness, and pristine beauty & wild game & fish (but not economics, etc.):

1. Alaska
2. Idaho
3. Wyoming
4. Montana
5. Utah
6. Colorado
7. Nevada
8. Washington (eastern)
9. Oregon (eastern)
10. Texas
11. Georgia
12. Tennessee
13. Alabama
14. South Dakota
15. North Dakota
16. Minnesota
17. Arkansas
18. Louisiana
19. Missouri
20. Oklahoma
21. Kentucky
22. West Virginia
23. South Carolina
24. Mississippi
25. Nebraska
26. Wisconsin
27. Kansas

Correct me if I'm wrong folks.

[When Jim Doyle is working at Burger King, Wisconsin will jump up 5-10 places immediately!]
Old August 23, 2006, 03:30 PM   #22
Socrates

To paraphrase Johnny Cash:

"Any place but Kaliforina!! I still hate this place.!!!"

S
Old August 23, 2006, 04:05 PM   #23
smooks75

Quote:
Why not Wyoming? Or Montana?
Because they are having problems with land law. You only "own" the top-soil and nothing under the ground. Familys that have "owned" there property for many years are bieng pushed out by large corps for little or NO money, appology, or reason. The answer they get from the local and state Gov. is, you only own the top soil not underneith the earth. I can not speak for any other states but these. I subscribe to National Geographic and some of the past magazines have had numerous orticles on this very subject. Please read the laws for those states and make up your own mind. I for one will never move up there after what I have heard first hand from some of these familys. They have good points, but on the whole they are not friendly for land ownership.
Old August 23, 2006, 05:24 PM   #24
BUSTER51

I don't know what kind of koolaid you boys are drinking not to consider Arizona,but northen Arizona is great for hunting and we are one of the gun friendlyst states in the union and we got some damn big elk .now we got our problems too like a Lesbo gov,and too many ILLEGAL's.but with any luck we can vote her out this election and god willing the fed gov will enforce the law and get rid of these illegal's for good .
Old August 23, 2006, 05:41 PM   #25
taylorce1

I live in Colorado, but I would vote for Alaska. I'm trying to move up there and I love hunting here. I have access to private lands for Mule Deer and Pronghorn. Colorado has the largest herd of Elk in the US around the Meeker area and I was able to get two tags this year and most of the mountains are still public access.

All that said we don't have the variety of big game that Alaska does, plus the fishing is out of this world from what I here. I'm not into the birds so I don't know what the bird hunting is like but I bet it is pretty good. I think overall that Alaska is a sportsman's paradise.