The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 18, 2012, 03:02 PM   #26
thesheepdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletproof View Post
Do the AR's require a lot of cleaning, how often do ya'll clean?

Are they hard to clean?
No. They keep going and going.

I clean mine after every range session usually but that to me is like getting the oil changed on my car every month.

They get dirty like a lot of other guns do but they're extremely reliable.
Old August 18, 2012, 07:29 PM   #27
bulletproof

Not having any luck finding the Sport. Looks like if I want a S&W MP 15 of some flavor, I'm gonna have to come up with a little more cash and take a step up the ladder to the next rung.

About iron sights & optics again. I should be able to get a model with iron sights, and still top it with a scope, red dot, etc, would that be correct? To clarify: Meaning that the iron sights, or optic wouldn't interfere with the other.

And, if you could I'd appreciate any suggestions/recommendations you might have on an optic that's say under$99, OK a $100 then?

Thanks

Once again, thanks for all your replies!
Old August 19, 2012, 11:09 AM   #28
Sabre9mm

Mine came without any sights it was labeled "optics ready"

They did have a few dots on slide rails so they could be slid out of the way of iron sights if they are on there. Do not remember the price.

I have seen before scope mounts that were high with ports through the base so you could see the iron sights with it on.

It is an addiction, and I have just about given up on budgeting, just buying and justifying somehow...
Old August 19, 2012, 01:42 PM   #29
bulletproof

QUOTE:I have seen before scope mounts that were high with ports through the base so you could see the iron sights with it on.
That's how my scope on my 30.06 is.

just buying and justifying somehow.. My wife does it like that, sooooo, it oughta work for me too!
Old August 19, 2012, 01:46 PM   #30
meanmachine1961

I recently won a M&P Sport off of Gunbroker. Got a great deal and the transaction was smooth as butter.
Old August 19, 2012, 01:57 PM   #31
Sabre9mm

"My wife does it like that, sooooo, it oughta work for me too!"

Yep, I am about to pull 30k out as a down payment on her new office, a few more for my toys is not an unreasonable request is it?

Call them both retirement investments...
Old August 20, 2012, 04:45 AM   #32
Justice06RR

Here are 2 suggestions for optics/scope:

1. Bushnell Banner 3-9x40 Scope with 6-inch eye relief.
bought mine for about $80 shipped from Amazon. Quality is excellent and the glass is very clear, all the way to maximum magnification. You can still use back-up iron sights even with the A-post front sight and low-profile rear sight. You just have to remove the scope, which takes like 15 seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Banne...+banner+3-9x40

2. Burris Trophy 1x Red dot : $85shipped from Amazon but you will need to buy the extra riser to effectively use backup iron sights. If you want a non-magnification optic this is the way to go. Affordable and funtional. My roomate has it and you can Co-witness with your iron sights.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Troph...burris+red+dot

Of the two, the Bushnell is considerably longer because of the magnification obviously, but it really helps when you plan to shoot 100yards + frequently. I have the Bushnell and it is an excellent value and quality.

As far as the AR itself, check your local SuperWalmart if there's any in your area. I checked last weekend and mine has a Colt, Sig, Bushmaster, and DPMS in stock. I have owned a Bushmaster M4A3 and from my experience they are still decent quality for the money.

For reference here is the Bushnell 3-9 magnification scope. Beeotch is long but it does not interfere with your front sight since its a magnified optic.

Old August 24, 2012, 09:47 PM   #33
bulletproof

Justice06RR, thanks for the pics & links.

Have any ya'll bought anything from PSA(Palmetto State Armory) before? The reason I ask is because I can't reach them on the phone, and they don't reply to my personal email questions. But, I do receive almost daily "sale" emails from them.

Does anybody know the answers to the following questions?

Any problems with your order?

Are they fast about shipping orders?

Do you know if they charge sales tax or not, I'm in Ky.?

Just a few things I wanted to ask them. Thanks for your help!
Old August 27, 2012, 09:23 PM   #34
moxie

Rather than waste time worrying this to pieces, with one foot on the banana peel, go down to Walmart. They have, usually, several AR15s, under $900, that are perfectly serviceable. Bushmaster is fine. So is DPMS. You can mount any optic you want on just about any AR. Do it.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old August 27, 2012, 10:27 PM   #35
bulletproof

just yesterday ordered the S&W M&P #811000.

thanks...
Old August 27, 2012, 10:42 PM   #36
Carne Frio

Here is a good link to information on how to take care of an AR.

http://www.ep.tc/problems/25/index.html

It was created for GI's in basic training and is well done.
Old August 27, 2012, 10:50 PM   #37
bulletproof

hey, thanks for the link
Old August 28, 2012, 12:33 PM   #38
Sabre9mm

Hey... Is that Major Houlihan in the orange suit?
Old August 28, 2012, 02:54 PM   #39
Drhc116

Stag Arms with Magpul P-Mags
Old August 28, 2012, 11:42 PM   #40
Metal god

I have a DTI Del-Ton $850 0ut the door . It shoots well and has never jamed or failed to feed . I have only put about 500 rounds though it so it just getting broke in .

I just finished this PSA biuld $ 1,030 out the door.

Build it if you can . they are really not that hard to build and you can save some money . actually you will not save any money on the first one . There are some tools you will need . The rest of them you will save money on .

If you want quick and easy the M&P sport is the way to go .

If you have the time ,build you own and get to know your rifle .It's really fun .

As for cleaning I clean mine after every shoot and lube the bolt just before I start shooting . There are a ton of videos on youtube

If you want specifics . I clean my bore just like any other rifle .

I take much more time on the Chamber and use a chamber brush and T-handle .

As for the BCG I take it apart and clean each piece well .

The lower tends not to get to dirty . I clean mine with a rag,Q-tips and maybe some compressed air .I do not clean my buffer and spring every time I clean My rifle If you find your self really cleaning around the fire control group , a drop or two of oil in that area would be good after your done .

Wipe the hole thing down and you done . You may want to look under the hand gaurd once and a while . Make sure there is no rust or dirt building up .

Last edited by Metal god; August 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old September 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #41
bulletproof

Good looking rifles you've posted there.

OK, i finally picked my S&W M&P the other day. Still have to get optic, it has no sights. Model # 811003.

1) The barrel on mine looks just like Justice06RR's that is in his picture he posted, except mine is minus the front sight. Why does the barrel have those separations in it, like it has been spliced together, what's the purpose of that?

2) I'm 6' 2", and even with the 6 position stock, when I got my rifle, it is still too short for me. What, if anything, can remedy that?
Old September 3, 2012, 11:18 PM   #42
Metal god

That notch in the barrel is so you can attach a grenade launcher to it . I believe it's a Mil-spec barrel or the same type of barrel thats on the military issued rifles .
Old September 3, 2012, 11:19 PM   #43
BarryLee

I'm not 100% sure what you are referring to, but I think the “splices” are there to allow mounting a grenade launcher.

So, why do you think your rifle is too short? You could try replacing the butt pad for another inch or so of length. If you need more than that you may need another stock.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old September 3, 2012, 11:19 PM   #44
allaroundhunter

Quote:
1) The barrel on mine looks just like Justice06RR's that is in his picture he posted, except mine is minus the front sight. Why does the barrel have those separations in it, like it has been spliced together, what's the purpose of that?

2) I'm 6' 2", and even with the 6 position stock, when I got my rifle, it is still too short for me. What, if anything, can remedy that?
1) Those are M203 cuts. They are there as a mounting point for an M203 launcher; not necessarily applicable to civilian shooters, but some like it for the novelty/looks.

2) You can add a recoil pad that will add a little LOP, but other than that you would have to change stocks. You can go to a full A2 style stock, but IMO they take away from the aesthetics of the "carbine".
Old September 3, 2012, 11:36 PM   #45
Metal god

You will get used to it . Im 6'4" and at first I felt the same way . Now they all fit like a glove . There right all you can do is put a bigger but pad on it , I did and it helped . You have to remember its a multi use gun . It needs to be compact for urban environments as well as be able to engage long range targets . There has to be a little trade off . My Del-Ton (the dark earth one in the pictures )felt very compact and not very comfortible but as soon as I put that front grip on it .OMG It feels sssooo good . Give it time It should not take long .

P.S. lets see some pics it's time to show off the new member of the family

Last edited by Metal god; September 5, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:09 PM   #46
bulletproof

Your replies confirm just what I was thinking as I waited for your answers. Like you say maybe i'll get used to it.

Here's the only pic I have available at the moment, no camera right now. Hope this will suffice.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y
Old September 5, 2012, 12:03 AM   #47
allaroundhunter

bulletproof,

You picked a great AR, and you will enjoy it for a long time (until you get another AR and have to split time between the two )
Old September 5, 2012, 06:16 PM   #48
bulletproof

Thanks. From research it appeared that all the S&W M&P's are good guns. I was trying get one in a hurry in order to beat the politicians to the punch, and I was trying to make an informed decision that i would have buyers remorse about later. But, like you, I think I made a pretty good choice, even though I bought in a rush, and online every site seemed to be sold out. Thanks again.

Ya'll will probably know better than me about this comment. I'm thinking that budsgunshop probably sell more guns than most any shop anywhere, and they are able to restock their racks, when others can't get any guns to sell. Right or wrong?
Old September 5, 2012, 06:38 PM   #49
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Right or wrong?
They definitely have more distributor connections than most, but they still have problems getting their hands on guns that are highly requested.
Old September 5, 2012, 06:51 PM   #50
bulletproof

I just remembered something that I need to ask before I forget it.Do ya'll mix .223 & 5.56 in the same magazine, & is there any feeding, etc. problems in doing that? I think I heard somewhere to not mix them.?