The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 8, 2009, 02:11 PM   #1
maestro pistolero

Sen Harry Reid, D. NV, Supporting Sotomayor

In a response to a letter expressing my 2nd amendment concerns over the nomination of Sotomayor to the Supreme Court, Senator Reid sent the following response. He did not specifically mention my particular objections or concerns about the 2A record of this candidate.

June 8, 2009

Mr. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXX Dr
Las Vegas, Nevada XXXXX

Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX:

Thank you for writing me concerning the recent U.S. Supreme Court nomination made by President Obama. I appreciate hearing from you.

The role of the United States Senate in giving its advice and consent to the President's nominations is one of the most important constitutional obligations we have as senators, and it is a duty that I take very seriously. This obligation is particularly important with respect to nominations for the U.S. Supreme Court. Please know that when the Senate considers any nominations, I thoroughly review all relevant information before deciding whether to consent to them.

Sonia Sotomayor has served as a distinguished jurist for many years. Judge Sotomayor worked for 11 years on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, one of the most demanding circuits in the country, and has handed down decisions on a range of complex legal and constitutional issues. She is a summa cum laude graduate of Princeton University and a graduate of Yale Law School. Before she was promoted to the Second Circuit by President Clinton, she was appointed to the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York by President George H.W. Bush. She will bring valuable experience to the Supreme Court, having worked as both a big-city criminal prosecutor and a corporate litigator, a trial judge and an appellate judge. If confirmed, Sotomayor would bring more federal judicial experience to the Supreme Court than any justice in 100 years, and more overall judicial experience than anyone confirmed for the Court in the past 70 years.

Again, thank you for contacting my office with your concerns. Please be assured that I will keep your thoughts in mind as the confirmation process gets underway. For information about my work for Nevada, my role in the United States Senate Leadership, or to subscribe to regular e-mail updates on the issues that interest you, please visit my Web site at http://reid.senate.gov. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

My best wishes to you.

Sincerely,
HARRY REID
United States Senator
Nevada
Old June 8, 2009, 02:41 PM   #2
stargazer65

It sounds you got a form letter which might be translated as:

Dear (insert name),

Your letter has been received, duly ignored, and filed in the circular file. I look forward to rubber stamping my approval of the nominee.

Good Day,
Senator Reid's Admin Asst's Intern
Old June 8, 2009, 03:07 PM   #3
JWT

Almost certainly a canned response, and not a good one at that - no mention of the specific 2A concern you had.

Any correspondence I've ever sent to my Senators (McCain, Kyl) or Congresswoman (Giffords) have resulted in replies that at a minimum covered their stance on the specific issue I wanted addressed.
Old June 8, 2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

The dems have almost universally proven that they will rubber stamp everything Obama chooses to do.

The republicans proved the same with GB.

Welcome to DC. Unless we get them out, ALL of them out, it will be more of the same. To our detriment.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:09 PM   #5
doh_312

I'm with Peetzakilla on this one, both dems and pubs are the problem. All of em need to go.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:14 PM   #6
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

No, the Dems will not rubber stamp Obama. The gun control issue is a perfect example. Pelosi and Reid have publicly stated they will not push for another AWB, among other things. Despite this, the Obama administration rattles on about gun control they will never be able to institute. American politics is a lot more complicated, a lot more subtle than "them vs. us". Obama is actually having a harder time with the Congress than he expected. The Republicans surely would have treated him with even less consideration, but he does not have carte blanche.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:27 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
No, the Dems will not rubber stamp Obama
We're what, 150 days in? He'll get what he wants. It just a matter of what he really wants. It's all charades and smoke screens. It most certainly IS "them vs us". The "them" is entrenched Washington DC bureaucracy, not dems or repubs.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:42 PM   #8
JWT

If 'the Dems will not rubber stamp Obama' they've certainly done a good job of hiding the fact thus far.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:49 PM   #9
stargazer65

We better figure out where we want this thread to go. If we bicker and gripe the mean people will come and close it down. MaestroP, any suggestions?
... drat, he's not here

Last edited by stargazer65; June 8, 2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:19 PM   #10
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Too Late! The mean guy is here.

Hate to say it, but I can't really determine what the topic of this thread is, other than political.

Maestro, you might want to try again, giving the discussion somewhere to go, other than political rants.

As it is, this one is closed.
Closed Thread