The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 1, 2013, 12:14 AM   #1
9mmfan

Texas Jack's gun leather?

So I have been eyeballing the shoulder holster on the Texas Jack's website. Thought it would be good for my 3.5" Thunderer.

Was wondering if anyone had experience with this rig or ordering from Texas Jack's in general, in particular if these are stocked typically, and what the wait times might be if not.

I have not found a ton of info, but what little I have has been generally positive with regards to the quality.

Thanks for your time and any info is appreciated.
Old May 1, 2013, 08:04 AM   #2
twobit

I have been to their brick and mortar store. I have bought some "period clothing" from them. Their leather is made by Hunter. Same stuff your can buy from Sportsman's Guide. It is OK leather, but it is production line quality, looks machine made, not holster store leather quality. If you want to go a little higher quality and get handmade stuff, check out Cochise Leather. They have a web page, just google it. Cochise is mostly "old west" style. For concealed carry holsters I like Simply Rugged. I have several of his holsters and belts.

Edit; I just looked at the Cochise site and counted eight different styles of shoulder holsters mostly for the single action revolvers. In the search box just type "shoulder holster". I plan on buying on of those 3 1/2" Thunderers. I have a 5 1/2" Cimarron Artillery model now and love it.

Last edited by twobit; May 1, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old May 13, 2013, 02:50 PM   #3
therizzzo

I can speak with authority. I was a manager at Texas Jack's Wild West for 4 years and still work there part time occasionally and ordered all the leather during my management tenure. The "Texas Jack" brand leather is made by El Paso Saddlery of El Paso, TX only. EPS has always made it and puts the "Texas Jack" maker's mark on it. I'm not sure where you got the "Hunter" and Sportsman's Guide information from, but that is not correct.
Old May 13, 2013, 04:58 PM   #4
9mmfan

Thank you both for responding. I did notice that they appeared identical to EPS, and had it in my head that they were made by them. Are they generally stocked, or is there a wait? Not that it really matters, we just moved and money is entirely too tight right now for such a purchase, just curious.
I did look at the Cochise website, nice looking stuff, and could work as well. They don't have a 3.5" listed on the model I was digging on, so I would have to talk to them about a custom order. If Texas Jacks stocked such a thing regularly, it would be nice not to have to wait as long. Not that his will be my daily carry or anything.
Again, thank you both for your time.
Old May 15, 2023, 08:32 PM   #5
Armybrat

10 year old thread I accidentally stumbled across, but here is an EPS holster stamped with Texas Jack. I bought it at the store in Fredericksburg several years ago.
About a year later I bought a new Ruger Bearcat birdshead that fit in it like a glove.
Gave them both to my youngest grandson when he turned 12 last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4EE7D1A3-2FDE-414B-A8F4-2C171A67ADD0.jpeg (85.0 KB, 62 views)