The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 16, 2009, 06:42 AM   #26
Qtiphky

Helpful most of the time

I have only been this for a year now and it is the most relaxing time during a stressful life. Go into the "man cave" and load some rounds and the world seems right again.

I have only read one manual so far, but I have read it inside and out. I have studied almost every thread on this forum and a few others. I have gone to the manufacturers website's for load information verification. When I see people reference recipes, I back check them against every source I can find to ensure that they are within safe parameters. I follow the directions to the letter for every piece of equipment that I have. Does this make me unsafe because I have only read one manual? Maybe to some people, but interacting with people is also a form of learning. I have learned more in the real world by talking with people, learning from their experience and applying it to my situations than reading books.

When I have posted questions here, they don't seem to get many responses. Is it because it is a simple question that I just haven't come across the answer to yet? Is it because it is a stupid question? I don't know, but I firmly believe, and tell all of the people that I work with that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask! Just because something may be common knowledge to you, doesn't mean it is to me.

This forum is every expanding and growing and I will continue to learn from it.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:14 AM   #27
Jofaba

First thing I bought was Lymans 49th. My next step is going to be researching the powders, primers and loads for each of the cartridges that I plan on loading so that I am familiar with them before I ever touch them.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:43 AM   #28
hornady

I have loaded ammo for 40 years, I have been a gun nut for 50 years. And still search out as much information as possible. Granted, as with all gun forms there are a small percent of A-holes out there. Just like the punk in the gun store that’s gods gift to the shooting world. But as with most interactions in life. It will not take long to find out who is blowing smoke and who knows what they are talking about. I love to talk guns and reloading. That is why I search out these forms. And yes there are some strange questions out there. as well as dubious answers. I am new to posting on this form. But am a regular. On a couple others . I have been reading post on here for some time now. And have read some well thought out and intelligent answers. Reloading boils down to personal responsibility. Do your homework, and by all means get and read the manuals.
Old April 16, 2009, 07:56 AM   #29
tpcollins

I know what you mean

I hope I'm not one of those new to reloading that's making big mistakes but I understand how things messed up. I spent several weeks of studying leading up to my first 20 reloads, pouring over details and rehearsing the steps required. Halfway through my third batch of reloading recently, I realized I forgot to check the cases with a flashlight after filling with powder to make sure all had powder and none were double charged (I was 90% capacity so I'm positive none could be double). I'm confident they're correct as I was disciplined in my moving cases from one side of the loading block to the other during the filling process.

I was upset with myself for missing this so I'm going to type up a step-by-step procedure I have, laminate it, and make sure I don't repeat this goof again. I believe it's impossible to be too careful.
Old April 16, 2009, 08:23 AM   #30
pbratton

I am a noobie to reloading as well. Did a lot a reading of the forums and manuals and asked a few questions.

Still, there will always be plenty of questions to my reloading activities, as manuals and manufacturers rarely agree and often conflict.

It is really comforting to have a forum to ask and receive information from other folks who have traveled the path I am just now beginning.

I'll say that reloading has been very fun for me. The setup and the checks and balances to ensure things are correct really appeals to my personality.

And shooting the first reloaded batch at the range, well, exciting, to say the least. Fortunately, all of the rounds went POW, not a single BOOM.

Thanks to all of you who are willing to help those of us who need it.
Old April 16, 2009, 11:02 AM   #31
snuffy

My take on this thread, and the one on the other site, is that some people should NOT reload, period! They have 10 thumbs, and no mechanical ability. I suppose with enough training, anybody can be taught the required skills. To others it just comes naturally. You simply have to understand the entire process. For that you either have to have a mentor, or do a lot of reading of manuals. Asking questions here and on other forUms, is also a way to learn, BUT you need to sift through the answers to get the gold.

When I started loading back in '70, I only had a crusty old former teacher that sold components from the basement of a liquor store to teach me. His advice got me started, along with the manuals of that era. Now with the internet, there's a welth of info out there. Some of it can be dangerous, if not checked against an established manual.

As far as being snippy or snide, I have to constantly guard against that for my answers. I can't count how many times I've deleted entries or hit the backspace button to make my post civil. I try to think of it this way; If I were face to face with whoever is asking the question, what would I say?

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old April 16, 2009, 11:50 AM   #32
Nate1778

One thing I have learned in life, is there are many "Darwin" award winners in almost every hobby I have been in. The only thing I can do is hope that myself or those around me don't make the finalist list for the year.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:09 PM   #33
brickeyee

Quote:
Another guy who does not read well and has zero experience with black powder
All of my powder containers say explosive.
Posted by someone who knows nothing about explosives.

Smokeless powder is NOT an explosive.
It is a flammable solid, and regulated as such.

Black powder in sufficient quantity can be an explosive but small quantities are NOT an explosive.

Explosives produce shock waves on detonation.
These waves shatter things very nicely.

Even if you manage to blow a gun up you will have had a pressure failure, NOT a detonation (though you may think it was if you fired the thing).

If I place an explosive in the breech of a gun and set it off, there wil be nothing left of the receiver.
It will be reduced to very small fragments.
Old April 16, 2009, 12:36 PM   #34
Cloudpeak

Quote:
I like this post.. I've asked a few questions, but it IS intimidating being a newbie amongst veterans, and I haven't asked a few for fear of ridicule. It's good to know that no question is a dumb question.
I really think that most people on this and most gun forums that reply to questions are trying to be helpful. I think there are very few smart mouths who are on this earth to merely toot their own horn on our forums (and, in general, be an annoyance to mankind).

So I say to newbies: ask away (and do a search to avoid the wrath of the "search nannies".)

Cloudpeak
Old April 16, 2009, 01:09 PM   #35
webby4x4

This has been an interesting thread to watch - mostly because I'm VERY new to this forum, and have only been reloading for about 2 months.

To be honest, I simply ignore the posts from the guys that want to split hairs or ridicule me when they think I've asked a dumn question, or try and pick my question apart and twist it around to make me look ignorant. Personally, I could care less about them as I feel that my questions are important (my life, or someone else's are in my hands when I reload), otherwise I wouldn't ask them.

Just like any other site, or a public forum with people in a meeting, there's always going to be someone who feels that their voice must be heard, regardless of what comes out of it.

I simply seperate the wheat from the chaff and just focus in on those who are polite, ask questions about my question so that they are providing a good answer, and/or take the time to provide supporting details / experiences.

The good news is that there are several people on this forum who has always taken the time to reply to my questions in a timely, accurate fashion with a lot of good supporting data. In fact, I print some of these out and put them into my reloading log that I keep on my bench.

Regardless - this forum has been a wealth of information for me. And I ALWAYS double-check what I see in my manuals with what I see here, and vice-versa (unless it just isn't possible).

I'd rather ask and be uncool, than be dead and cool.

Rick
Old April 16, 2009, 01:32 PM   #36
Doodlebugger45

Like a lot of the others here, I just started reloading recently. I have lurked and read this forum for a couple months but finally registered this week so that I can ask a question or make a comment once in awhile. I bought a Speer reloading manual before I made any other purchases and I read every internet site I could find for other thoughts on load recipes and techniques.

This place in particular has been extremely informative and just by reading it, I haven't had to ask questions yet because most of the things I didn't understand well have already been asked and answered here. I do admit that I'm still a bit troubled by this whole issue of roll-crimp vs. tapered crimps and I'm not positive that I'm doing it correctly yet, but I'm getting more confident in my loading all the time. Thanks guys.

That said, I do have one specific question about a particular load and bullet weight, so I guess it's time to create my first thread and take the plunge.
Old April 16, 2009, 02:59 PM   #37
oneounceload

I've only been reloading for about 30 years, but I do ALL of mine on single stage presses. I've had some progressives, (and would like to get a few for shotgun and pistil again), but, IMO, a single stage gives you the greatest chances of NOT making any mistakes, and I would seriously suggest to any person who has never done this to start with one and then graduate to the progressives.....but that's just my .02 worth
Old April 16, 2009, 03:02 PM   #38
Cloudpeak

Quote:
I do admit that I'm still a bit troubled by this whole issue of roll-crimp vs. tapered crimps and I'm not positive that I'm doing it correctly yet, but I'm getting more confident in my loading all the time. Thanks guys.
Don't be troubled, grasshopper. (It just occurred to me that youngster's might not know where this came from. Makes me feel old. (Answer "Kung Fu" a TV show starring David Carradine")

Roll crimp: rolls case mouth into bullet/cannelure/crimp groove to aid in retention.

Taper crimp: really not a crimp, per se, it removes the case mouth bell so round will chamber properly. Used with cartridges that headspace on the case mouth, i.e. 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm. Bullet retention with these loads is assured by the proper size of sizing die and expander plug. In cases where I've had a problem with bullet setback, I've reduced the diameter of the expander plug to increase retention of the bullet.

From one Wyoming guy to another.

Cloudpeak
Old April 16, 2009, 03:04 PM   #39
webby4x4

Quote:
I've only been reloading for about 30 years, but I do ALL of mine on single stage presses. I've had some progressives, (and would like to get a few for shotgun and pistil again), but, IMO, a single stage gives you the greatest chances of NOT making any mistakes, and I would seriously suggest to any person who has never done this to start with one and then graduate to the progressives.....but that's just my .02 worth
I use my turrett press as a single-stage for that exact same reason. Most importantly, I learned that from my father AND on these forums from lurking for a month.
Old April 16, 2009, 03:29 PM   #40
Russ5924

What drives me crazy is they ask a question and they do as they want anyway why bother asking if that is the case. Chances are if they are loading min. they will be OK, now if they are trying for Max. loads there could be problems. I have seen a few of those posts about no manual and I think I have told them to get a manual, will they probity not. But how many people start reloading and don't keep it up and quit as to much bother. I would wager that very soon there is going to be a lot of presses for sale Right now not even sure if the people wanting to start reloading can come up with enough components to do so
Old April 16, 2009, 07:33 PM   #41
James R. Burke

I have not been a member for very long, but have reloaded for some time now. I have been recommending to alot of folks to get those manuals and read them. You need to get things in order before you even start. Manuals bench set up etc. I think everyone including new reloaders should be treated good, and encouraged. It is a good clean/hobby to get into. I believe most members are very good people willing to help, but there are a few that seem to have to cut people down for some reason. The only stupid question is the one that you don ask. I keep learning new and better ways to do things just by reading the posts on this forum, and I think it is a great forum to belong to. You know the ones that are always giving real good advice, and know what they are talking about. I learned alot from them. I think with all the short supplys you are getting new reloaders wanting to try stuff that they should not, and I am always telling them not to do it, and get the manual, and follow what it says. I do feel sorry for the new reloader who cannot get the things they need, but it will pass by. Just hope the prices dont go nuts in the mean time. Just my thouhts.
Old April 16, 2009, 09:56 PM   #42
ronl

I was very fortunate to have a mentor who taught me much about reloading years before I even had a press. He gave me a reloading manual that I read over and over and though it is now very outdated, the basics still apply. I have tried to pass the knowledge I have acquired on to others who have started reloading with the same patience given me. I hope all involved will do the same, and I hope all those beginning to reload will not refrain from asking any question, regardless of how mundane they may feel it is. From the most experienced to the novice reloader there is still one more thing to learn and we can all help each other. That is what this forum is about.
Old April 16, 2009, 10:14 PM   #43
webby4x4

Quote:
Roll crimp: rolls case mouth into bullet/cannelure/crimp groove to aid in retention.

Taper crimp: really not a crimp, per se, it removes the case mouth bell so round will chamber properly. Used with cartridges that headspace on the case mouth, i.e. 45 ACP, 40 S&W, 9mm. Bullet retention with these loads is assured by the proper size of sizing die and expander plug. In cases where I've had a problem with bullet setback, I've reduced the diameter of the expander plug to increase retention of the bullet.
Cloudpeak - Interesting, I think you've just solved a big problem I've been having... Could you do me a favor and look at this post please?
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=350343 <-- See the 3rd post down (my post)

The problem I'm faced with is that if I resize my cast 9mm (without lubing it), the bullet seems to seat just fine (very secure). If I lube and resize, I can give a moderate tug on the bullet and then it will spin inside the case (but I cannot pull it out no matter how hard I try). The rest of the details are in the other thread.

My solution thus far is to NOT resize (it's within size tolerances) and to just use Lee Liquid Alox.

Thanks,
Rick
Old April 16, 2009, 10:24 PM   #44
Steviewonder1

New Reloaders

There is lots of GOOD information in the Handloading and Reloading info here. Unfortunately as these times mover forward those of us who have seen this before did plan AHEAD and I feel are prepared to weather the storm as it arrives. IF you can find the necessary parts and pieces to make the bullets you need to shoot for the next 8-10 years, it is already past time to do that. Find your local sources or next door sources for things. There is a ton of stuff on the internet still cheap just Google it, once fired cases (fill in type), these folks will ship next day or so and you have it in bulk. Get your powder in 4lb cans not 1lb cans. Get as much lead as you can, especially Copper Hollowpoints in your calibers. Lastly get the primers, when available and if it is 1K a day from the dealer, go visit as much as needed.
Old April 17, 2009, 01:07 AM   #45
Dr. Strangelove

I'm glad to see new blood on the forum. I've seen this part of the forum go from five or six posts a day to what we see now. I've also noticed many members don't post as much as they once did, particularly in response to new member questions. Let's all remember we were all new loaders once, many of us before the days of easy answers on the internet. The new folks will soon have information and experiences that can help us all.

While I'm still relatively young at thirty five (or so I like to think), I've been loading for more than twenty years. I would have benefited immensely from a forum like this back then, had one existed back in the dark ages. I would ask that we don't jealously guard our hard-earned information, but share it, even for the often answered questions. Any help we give new loaders will only come back to us here on the forum in the form of new experiences and information.
Old April 18, 2009, 12:48 AM   #46
mnhntr

Everybody has to start somewhere. I am pretty new to reloading also, having only loaded afew hundred rounds. I own one caliber specific manual, and have gotten quite a bit of info off the powder companies web site reloading data. What is the difference if i buy a book or read it on the companies web site? The books i have looked at are all different anyways with the same end result, start low and work up. Instead of predicting failure how about a constructive help post. A very helpfull member of this forum sent me lots of information in private emails to help me out. I think it is great more people are getting into reloading and they can use help.
Old April 18, 2009, 03:45 PM   #47
Steviewonder1

New Reloaders

I forgot to address New Reloaders. When I was a Newby back in the early 70's the first thing I did was get 2 reloading manuals. I read all I could on the cartridge of choice then which was a 38Special. I went back to the gun store and asked lots of questions, which produced more questions. After all was said and done I got the Green brand of single stage press with two loading blocks, powder listed in book and primer brand listed in book and scale. The only thing missing was a micrometer, but seating the bullets like the Factory ammo I had worked very well. Today I have learned many lessons and received much advice. On ocassion I give advice but not charge weight of powder.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:37 AM   #48
RGS

Maligator wrote:

"I'm the proud new owner of a Dillon RL 550B with all the amenities. It arrived just last week. I opened it to check the contents and yet there it stays. I read the post about things a new reloader should think about and found it very helpful. Bought the ABC's of Reloading as suggested and got Lyman & Hornady reloading handbooks."

I reloaded for years on a single stage RCBS JR press. When I bought my Dillon 550B, it was used but still pretty much set up and ready to go. One of the first items I ordered from Dillon was the video instruction manual for the RL 550B. I watched it over and over before I attempted to mount my press to the bench and get started. I recommend you do likewise. If anything doesn't seem right, call the tech support line at Dillon. The idea is to get the press, powder measure, primer tube, and dies set up correctly and be familiar with how it works BEFORE you attempt to load ammunition. Take as much time as you need to become very familiar with the operation of all the equipment.

Once you get all the stations busy, there are a lot of things that happen all at once each time you cycle the handle. Get used to supervising every station with each cycle. Your eye will sweep from one position to another as you operate the press, drop powder, feel the primer seat, and index the shell holder. Don't worry about speed or output. Stay alert, and keep the loading sessions short at first. If your mind starts to wander, it is time to quit for a while.

Good shooting

Rick