The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2000, 03:07 AM   #1
I shoot back

If anyone is familiar with or has reloaded any 6.5mm.08 I would appreciate any info you could provide.
This is what I know: I need 260 Remington dies/.243 Brass/6.5 (.264mm) bullets. I have some loads using Vhita-Vouri powders and Sierra 107 gr. HPBT bullets. Any info on OAL and any input would be appreciated. I will be shooting this in a AR-10 chambered in this round. I am experimenting with this rifle/cartridge for possible use in an upcoming sniper match in April so accuracy is my major concern.

Thanks
Old March 8, 2000, 02:17 PM   #2
TaxPhd

Is this rifle already built? If not, why not just chamber the .260 Remington which is essentially the same thing in a factory caliber, and save yourself a lot of aggravation?

I don't think that the 107 gr. bullet would be my first choice. The Sierra 140 gr. Match King HPBT has a BC of .545, and if it can be loaded with the correct OAL to function in that rifle, it would seem to be preferable.

While you mentioned "Sniper Competition" as the reason for this rifle, you weren't very specific. If you anticipate shots past 500 yards, your rifle/caliber selection may prove to be sub optimal.

The main problem that I see with the AR-10 is the requirement for .308 length cartridges. In a bolt action, you could use a 6.5 '06 which would be better at the longer ranges.

If you like the 6.5 mm because of the high BC's, perhaps a .264 Win mag in a bolt gun would better serve you. Seems like the only drawback to that would be premature throat erosion.

And, if you like high BC's, how about a Sierra 7mm 168 gr. MKHPBT with a BC of .630! Launch it out a 7mm Rem mag rifle at 3000 FPS, and it sounds like an optimum cartridge.

Sorry that I got off topic, and didn't really answer your questions. It's just that a good friend and I have been discussing this very thing recently, and it makes for an interesting discussion. And when all is said and done, it really seems like anything past 500 yards is really just BFM (Black F-ing Magic)!

Perhaps Gale, or someone with some more experience that I can chime in here.