The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 22, 2015, 10:18 PM   #1
AndyAdams

Help! S&W model 37 cylinder stop or cylinder stop spring proplem

Working on an older model S&W airweight model 37 serial number J793XXX. When the cylinder is locked up, it can be turned clockwise by hand, (when held pointed downrange). It does not rotate by hand in the counter clockwise direction if you attempt to turn the cylinder manually by hand. I am told the cylinder is not supposed to turn unless cocking the pistol, (and then only counter-clockwise since it is a Smith), so I am assuming either the cylinder stop is worn and needs replacement, or a combination of the cylinder stop and/or the cylinder stop spring is broken, loose, or weak and needs replacing.
The Brownells site lists parts numers for the cylinder stop, the cylinder stop spring, and then a "...cylinder stop spring, torsion type, with offset arm",
(stock numbers 341820A, (schematic no. 67), 309070, (schematic no. 68), and 1124640A, schematic no. 68 also), respectively)
Can anyone help me with how to verify and confirm (a) that the cylinder stop and/or cylinder stop spring are definitely the part or parts are the actual problemallowing the clockwise rotation, and/or (b) how to deternine before opening up the side plate, if this particular model requires the "....cylinder stop spring, "torsion type with offest arm" if the stop and spring are the cause? I know this sounds convoluted, as I ain't the world's best writer, but I wanted to include enough detail so someone who may have experience with this could offer me some advice without them having to do a bunch of research. Any advice at all on this one would be very much appreciated.
Old February 23, 2015, 08:19 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Can you see the cylinder stop up in the cylinder notch when it is cocked? If it is, it could be either a worn cylinder stop, a cylinder stop spring, (or even needing a cleaning). It can be made to reverse direction when locked, if this is the case, or turn CW. It means the stops nose is not quite high enough, to catch the cylinder, on the side the flutes of the notches are on.

You will have to see which spring it has, but if it is older, I would say it is just the coil spring, which is part 11 on the S&W parts list I have. Below is a link to the same.

http://www.vivasandson.com/refinfo-swm37parts.html
Old February 23, 2015, 08:40 AM   #3
AndyAdams

Quote:
Can you see the cylinder stop up in the cylinder notch when it is cocked? If it is, it could be either a worn cylinder stop, a cylinder stop spring, (or even needing a cleaning). It can be made to reverse direction when locked, if this is the case, or turn CW. It means the stops nose is not quite high enough, to catch the cylinder, on the side the flutes of the notches are on.

You will have to see which spring it has, but if it is older, I would say it is just the coil spring, which is part 11 on the S&W parts list I have. Below is a link to the same.

http://www.vivasandson.com/refinfo-swm37parts.html
Dixie Gunworks:
Thanks for your quick reply and the link to the parts list. I will go through that checklist/process and see if that is the case and get it on order. I really appreciate it.