The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 16, 2012, 03:21 PM   #26
603Country

I have one Bushnell. I think it's a 4-12 (or maybe a 3-12, I forget). It has held up pretty well, though it has some little plastic bar thingies on the windage and elevation knobs and one of them broke. Scope still works, but it does irk me a bit that the scope would have a cheap flimsy part on it. All the other scopes I have are Leupold, and one Burris. My Brother-in-Law just bought a Zeiss Victory in 3-12, with a 30 mm tube and a 56mm objective. Cost about $1900. I'd sure like one of those, but my wife would kill me. I asked the BiL if he had the nerve yet to tell his wife, my sister, and he said that she urged him to buy it. Good Lord! I wonder what wine he filled her up with before he brought that subject up. I'll go buy some of that wine and try it on my wife.
Old August 16, 2012, 05:00 PM   #27
CharlieDeltaJuliet

That is why I mainly stick to Bushnells higher end. They really are built as tough as they can be. I am a huge fan of the Elite Tacticals, I think for the $800+ price tag they are as good as any other in the same price range.
Old August 17, 2012, 12:49 PM   #28
rickyrick

Busnell banner, 79 bucks, Wally world.......

Old August 18, 2012, 09:36 PM   #29
three-fifty-seven

I would avoid Bushnell on the fact alone that their customer service sucks (from a Canadian perspective). Also I would be weary of any company that tries to sell their scopes with free extras (GPSs, Raincoats, etc) as their competition does not.

For the price range you are looking at try a Redfield or a Vortex Diamondback.
Old August 27, 2012, 06:42 PM   #30
Major Dave (retired)

I put a Bushnell pistol scope....

on a 12 ga shotgun slug barrel.

The scope is a Magnum Phantom, circa the 1970's. I understood it was designed to withstand the recoil of the 44 Magnum pistol. So far, with about 100 rounds of 12 ga slug fired, the scope holds the zero and nothing has broken.

Two of my rifle scopes are Leupolds, and the third is an expensive ($700 MSRP) Pentax Lightseeker.

While the Leupolds were half the price of the Pentax, they seem to be every bit as good.

None of my scopes have broken, yet.
Old August 27, 2012, 07:39 PM   #31
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I hate to hear about the Canadian issues with Bushnell. I love their warranty on the higher end models.. Not only is it lifetime warranty, but you have a year to decide if you don't like it. You can return it to Bushnell for a full refund. It is there 100% Bulletproof warranty...

http://www.bushnell.com/bulletproof/...E1915E83A17BF&
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 27, 2012, 08:05 PM   #32
603Country

I just brought my Dad's Ruger 77 Ultralight back to the house in Texas for a good cleaning. It's had a Bushnell 3-9 on it for decades (I'll say maybe 30 years). I bought him a Zeiss Conquest 3-9 some years back and he put it on the NEF single shot 223. Go figure...Anyway, he shot an awful lot of deer with that bushnell scope (I can't remember the model name, but it's in the barn workshop and not close at hand). I'm thinking that now that I have my conniving hands on the rifles, I'll switch the scopes.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:09 AM   #33
Frasier

My Savage Model 111 came with a lower end Bushnell scope on it. It was months before I could fire it (around here, you have to join a club to shoot, as it's very difficult to find a place to shoot a rifle in the city) It was all over the place and would not hold a zero.

The range officer looked at it and told me that it had a factory defect. I am saving up for a better scope.
Old August 29, 2012, 12:01 PM   #34
stalkingbear

If you're going to buy a Bushnell, the Elite series is the only way to go.
Old August 31, 2012, 09:53 PM   #35
BIGR

I have a few of the Elites with the rainguard and have had pretty good luck with those scopes.
Old August 31, 2012, 10:25 PM   #36
bcarver

scopes

Scopes come in many price ranges. It is kind of "you get what you pay for."
I have never seen a Scmidt and Bender quaility scope selling for Bushnell prices. I have never heard a shooting or hunting buddy say "I wished I had got a cheaper scope" or seen anybody trade down in scopes. But I am not an Optics Snob. I can't afford $2000 scopes for all my rifles. However I do have one and it is my favorite.
Old September 1, 2012, 05:40 AM   #37
riggins_83

If you want a budget scope the Redfield Revolutions are a great option. Cost is around $200 for a 3-9x40 and is much brighter and clearer than the Bushnell Trophy. I'd steer clear of the low end foreign made scopes especially on a hunting rifle. Don't want that scope failing you on a hunting trip!
Old September 1, 2012, 06:48 AM   #38
Jack O'Conner

This Bushnell is a KEEPER! It is a 1.5X - 4.5X model.

Jack