The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old January 21, 2010, 02:34 PM   #1
jj05

How do you carry?

I use the universal clipdraw to conceal my .380 in pretty much any weather conditions. I had an idea and i put it in the cargo pocket of my old BDU's and it wasnt noticable at all. I tried it in some cargo shorts for summer time carry and that worked also. I then tried it with my SW9VE and again i didnt notice it in the mirror.

Has anyone used there cargo pockets instead of expensive rigs?

If so what were the results?

Thanks
JJ
Old January 21, 2010, 03:09 PM   #2
Webleymkv

When I've pocket carried, it was always either in my right-front pants pocket or my inside jacket pocket. I've never carried in a cargo pocket because the gun seems to have too much room to flop around and wind up in odd orientations. Perhaps with a properly designed pocket holster this problem could be alleviated. Also, I'm fairly tall at 6' 4" and have to stoop over slightly to get my hand into the cargo pockets on most pants.

Usually, I carry OWB strongside with a light cover garment.
Old January 21, 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
The Great Mahoo

I carry strongside between 3-5 position using either IWB or OWB depending on dress. If I really need to worry about concealment, such as when dressed up a bit and dressed lighter, I will go with a tuckable IWB holster.

I have considered a small 32 or 380 for pocket, or perhaps clipped, carry. I'm afraid I just can't squeeze anything new into the budget these days.
Old January 21, 2010, 06:17 PM   #4
45Gunner

My gun of choice is a 1911 which I carry strong side, 3 O'Clock in a belt holster. At times, especially in the evening when the occasion calls for a sport jacket, I will wear my 1911 in a shoulder rig.

For those hot, humid, unbearable days in the summer heat of South Florida, I will switch to my Glock 36 in a belly bag.

If I am going into a jungle environment or a sandy desert, I leave the 1911 home and call upon my H & K USP Compact and will wear a tactical holster, strong side.
NRA Life Member
Old January 21, 2010, 07:40 PM   #5
KenpoTex

Glock 19 IWB in the appendix position (about 1-2 o'clock).

BUG is a .38 snubby in either the off-hand jacket pocket (winter) or pants/shorts pocket (summer).

Matt K.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Dwight55

My Bersa Thunder .380 bangs around in cargo pockets like crazy, . . . turns over, . . . turns around, . . . never know which way the thing is oriented till you put your hand it to get it. Gave up on that as a bad idea.

I'm a holster guy anyway, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old January 22, 2010, 07:24 AM   #7
1911rocks

The way I Roll

Strongside 1911 or a CZ75B SP-01 in a Safariland 528, 2nd weapon, CZ75B P-01 in a Crossdraw or a Fanny Pack, and BUG is a CZ P-07 in an ankle rig. Soon I'll be replacing the 1911 with a SIG P226 BW Tactical if they pass our testing.
Old January 22, 2010, 07:59 AM   #8
hoytinak

When I carry the P2000 it's carried about the 3 o'clock IWB in a Milt Sparks VMII (or on the duty belt while working), when I carry the P32 it's in either my front right or rear right (depending on shorts/pants) pocket in a leather pocket holster from www.rkbaholsters.com. No matter what I've always got my belt from www.thebeltman.net.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:58 AM   #9
smince

Quote:
Glock 19 IWB in the appendix position (about 1-2 o'clock).
+1, brother
Old January 22, 2010, 01:18 PM   #10
win-lose

I carry my sp101 in the strong-side front pants pocket.

I mostly wear cargo pants, but prefer to carry in the normal "top" pocket.
Old January 22, 2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Quincunx

Either a Colt Combat Commander or a S&W Mountain Gun in plain ol' OWB carry, strong side.
Old January 22, 2010, 03:38 PM   #12
peejman

As stated, my .45 flopped all over the place in the cargo pocket. It'll work in a pinch, but far from ideal. I typically use my Crossbreed Supertuck at 4-5 o'clock. When concealment isn't an issue, I use a cheapo Uncle Mikes OWB, same location.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:29 PM   #13
P97

Ruger KP90DC in a Milt Sparks VM2HS at 2:30-3:00.
Old January 22, 2010, 08:47 PM   #14
flashover251

Either an HK P7 in an IWB strong side, or a Taurus TCP appendix carry with a covert carry clip.
Old January 24, 2010, 03:18 PM   #15
Straightshooter629

I'm an old school "wheel gunner" and I prefer the .357. My daily carry ( Rossi 462 ) is a bit heavy for pocket carry, so it's either a Don Hume belt slide or a Galco paddle, always worn cross-draw at the 10:00 o'clock position and always with two reloads...either two HKS speedloaders in a dual leather carrier or two Bianchi speed strips in an acumold pouch.
Old January 24, 2010, 04:37 PM   #16
PH/CIB

I carry my Glock 34 and two extra magazines in cargo pocket pants and cargo pocket shorts all the time with my special holster system that I manufacture and sell at: www.handgunholsters.net

You do have to cut a two inch slit just under the pocket flap at the upper front corner of the pocket for the leg strap to go up and attach to the belt which is worn under your clothing. You also have to turn the pant leg inside out to cut the two side slits which are each 2 inches long and at the middle of the outside seam on both sides of the cargo pocket for the leg strap to go through. This with the holster in the cargo pocket keeps the gun from flopping around in the pocket and you just lift the flap of the cargo pocket to make the draw.

I also manufacture a magazine holster for the other leg and the set up is the same it holds two magazines.

Do I think it is the best and only way to carry a handgun? NO. Do I recommend it to everyone and anyone? No. If you do not mind wearing a jacket or a vest or a loose T-Shirt or shirt or sweater not tucked in a OWB or IWB strongside will serve you just fine.

However I can wear cargo pocket shorts or cargo pocket pants without a shirt or any upper garmet of any kind and still carry concealed, only other system that you can do that with is the Thunderwear/Smartcarry system which I have used and recommend if you are careful and safe.

I can access the gun in the cargo pocket while sitting in a chair or driving and when seated in the bathroom the gun is still concealed and easy to get to in the cargo pocket with my pants down around my knees.

Some years ago a guy was manufacturing Harvestor Gun Pants with the holster system built into the cargo pockets on both legs in every pair of pants he sold. I bought a pair and they work great, only trouble was my holster system manufactured by John Boyt Industrial only retails for $25 and his pants retailed for $150. My belts sell for $10 and are lined as are the holsters with HPDE plastic which will not hurt your handgun. Still his pants were an excellent product and I hope he is still in business as I recommend them. My holsters are totally guaranteed if you don't like the holster just box it up and sent it back to me for a full refund, you will only be out the four or five dollars for the return shipping.

I have tried shoulder holsters, belly band holsters, OWB and IWB holsters, Ankle holsters, pocket holsters, fanny pack holsters, I have a whole box of holsters and actually I like all of them and would recommend any of them to you, they all have their advantages and disadvantages!
Life Member,,,Military Order of the Purple Heart, Veterans of Foreign Wars, American Legion, Amvets, Disabled American Veterans, 173rd Airborne Skysoldier Association, National Rifle Association, Member,,,IDPA, USPSA, Iowa Sheriffs and Deputies Association,,Website http://www.handgunholsters.net
Old January 25, 2010, 11:22 PM   #17
Lee Lapin

How do I carry?

I carry always, and carry the same thing (S&W 642) in the same place (pocket, in a leather pocket holster from RKBA Holsters).

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old January 26, 2010, 12:20 AM   #18
bigghoss

glock 17 stong side in an uncle mike's kydex paddle holster and a glock 26 support side front pocket.

if I can't dress for the 17 I'll move the 26 to stong side pocket and slip a .357 snubbie in the left pocket.

I have an NAA mini .22mag but I don't have any holster for it yet and I'd also like to get me a .380 mousgun