The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 20, 2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Inyaface13

Having a rust problem with H&R Pardner Pump.

I recently picked up a H&R Pardner 12 gauge pump as my first gun, but its primary use is home defense and a dust collector. I don't get to use it too often because of where I live and no local ranges. I store it in a gun sock I picked up to help prevent these things and I know this gun is prone to rust problems and I have been using Rem Oil and a rag to clean out the ejection port and keeping everything slightly oiled. I just recently got a small bottle of CLP Break Free and I am using that next time around. It seems like every time I pick the gun up I find a very small amount of rust than before. It is mostly showing up on the slide assembly and a little rust is coming off on the rag when I wipe out it out. I love the gun and its so reliable and makes perfect for home defense, but practically having to mummify to store it isn't a smart idea lol anything else that i'm missing??
Old February 20, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
overthere

If you store it in a gun cabinet you could get a dehumidifier for the gun cabinet to cut down on the ambient moisture.

I have a this one and it seems to work well:
http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-SPAD-...r+for+gun+safe
Old February 20, 2013, 08:53 AM   #3
nixfix

Quote:
If you store it in a gun cabinet you could get a dehumidifier for the gun cabinet to cut down on the ambient moisture.

I have a this one and it seems to work well:
http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-SPAD-...r+for+gun+safe
+1 on the Stack-On dehumidifier. Love those and they "re-charge" in just a few hours.
Old February 20, 2013, 09:38 AM   #4
hank327

Don't store it in a gun sock.

Tags
care , pardner , rust , shotgun