The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2013, 08:26 PM   #1
red96ta

How many rounds before you give up?

I can usually get between 30 to 40 before my 1860 and 1848 get so clogged up with fouling that I have to call it a day....but I'm reading back in the archives that some guys are doing upwards of a full box of balls.

What's your average and if it's a high number, how are you doing it?
Old January 1, 2013, 08:32 PM   #2
Beagle333

Today, I went through somewhere around 70 in the ol' 1860, and it was getting pretty gummy, but I was poking out the nipple holes with a piece of wire when loading and wiping the arbor and putting fresh lube on it. I think it would have went probably 90+, but it started raining. I think the loading ram would have clogged completely up before anything else.

Just loading and shooting without maintenance.... you're probably right on the money with 30-40.

(note: I just discovered that those little thin Christmas ornament hanger wires are much better than a paper clip for cleaning out nipple holes)
Old January 1, 2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Hawg

You can get a spray bottle of Windex and keep it going a long time just by spraying the arbor at the cylinder face.
Old January 1, 2013, 11:20 PM   #4
the rifleer

I usually shoot two cylinders, then take the cylinder out and clean it with a rag an wipe the whole gun down. It doesn't take long and keeps the gun decently clean,
Old January 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Captainkirk

I've shot upwards of 100 on my Remmies simply by lubing the pin and cylinder with Lubriplate 630AA both before and during shooting.
After I fire off a cylinder-full, I pull the cylinder and wipe it and the gun down, then re-lube the pin with fresh Lubriplate. (white lithium grease)
Old January 1, 2013, 11:57 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

75 plus rounds over three days using Uberti 1861 Navies loaded with 22 grains fffg BP, lubed wad, and .380 roundball. I make sure the arbors are well greased with bore butter at the beginning of a match and just wipe the cylinder face and the hammer down with a rag at the end of each day's shooting. Cylinders will spin just as free on day 3 as day 1.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 2, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
PetahW

I use an overball lube of white Crisco cooking lard (grocery store), filling the front of each chamber even with the cylinder face. (It's available in both small/large canisters)

The heat of firing melts the lube and keeps powder fouling very solft/sloppy, so that shooting can continue as long as you wish.

Often, I stop for a minute or so, to simply wipe the excess slop from the grips/hammer, etc - so the gun doesn't slip in my hand during firing. .

Yep, It's messy - but it works.

Old January 2, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8
Noz

What Fingers said, except: 1860 Pietta Armys, 454 round ball over a lubed wad with 28 grs of FFg. If I get bored waiting for the next days shoot I will pull a bore snake thru my shotgun and rifle and wipe the face of the pistol cylinders.
Then I get into the results of the efforts of the Irish distillers and those that deal in brewery magic.
Old January 2, 2013, 07:07 PM   #9
Hawg

Petah, you really don't need that much lube. Firing blows most of it off anyway. That's where the mess comes from. All you need is a little dab around the edge of the balls.
Old January 2, 2013, 09:51 PM   #10
Hellgate

On Colts I may after 30-40 rounds I will wipe the cylinder face and put a drop of oil on the cylinder pin/cylinder/frame juncture every 30 or so rounds. Same for my Euroarms Remingtons.

On my Uberti Remingtons shooting full loads (30 grs+wad+ball+grease) after two cylinders fired I put a single drop of oil (olive or Ballistol) on the front of the cylinder where it rubs on the frame. About 5 seconds of holding the gun up and twirling the cylinder works it down onto the cylinder pin. I do this AFTER recharging the chambers. The guns will shoot all day.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old January 3, 2013, 08:23 AM   #11
chaz12

I only have colt style revolvers. I added an old toothbrush to the supplies I bring with me. After shooting each cylinder, I brush off the front of the cylinder and the nipples.

I genearally stop shooting after 30 rounds and move on to shooting some cartridge guns, but there is basically no fouling on the pistol after 30. I have no doubt I could shoot another 30. Sometimes if the cylinder is not rotating as smoothly, the arbor may need to be wiped down.

Chaz
Old January 3, 2013, 10:02 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

Generally....

....I take along four revolvers.

I shoot somewhere around 30 rounds from each and then go home.

But it is not the revolver that stops shooting after thirty, It is me who makes the change.
Old January 5, 2013, 04:51 PM   #13
brazosdave

I oftentimes do like Hawg was talking about, I take a bottle of the ammonia free windex, spray and wipe, and slap a little bore butter on the arbor. The windex just melts off the residue.