The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 24, 2009, 11:45 AM   #26
goose13

I'm sorry if someone pulls a gun like that in a threatening manner all bets are off. The skateboarder did a good job, to me it didn't look like he instigated it, at one point he tried to skate away from the situation on his board, but that good for nothin stain on society gang banger proceeded to get physical. I know it may have looked bad the beating part, and maybe it was a little excessive, but whose to say if you get off of him that he's not gonna go for the gun, then it turns in to another struggle with could turn deadly. BG ****** off about you disarming him and giving him a whooping could turn bad if you let off of him could turn bad in an instant. and his other friends had every right to jump in and throw a few of their own blows, the gang banger (or wanna be) pulled a gun on them, putting their life on the line. Anytime someone pulls a gun on a human being in a threatening manner like that whether they plan on using it or not is still a threat, you don't know what their intentions are.

I know many of us being gun owners, and most of us on here holding CCW's might have handled this situation differently, but this kid is at the age where he can't legally carry, much less own a handgun so he used the tools at his disposal, his fists.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:48 AM   #27
Eskimo

It was much more dangerous to continue beating him, if the guy was indeed a gang member.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:50 AM   #28
Kyo

gang banger boy is lucky that the other guy didn't have a knife. then he woulda been done. I couldn't believe he kept getting CLOSER to the other kid as he had the gun on him. next to his own head none the less. idiot. got what he deserved.
I agree as well that if you are at the business end of a gun you are a dead man walkin.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:11 PM   #29
Steamboatsig

My heart is racing watching that video. Props to the skateboarder, but man is he lucky to have survived the encounter. I feel for the skater though, now he has to watch his back for the rest of his life. You know the cholo gang banger is going to seek retaliation, and there are a bunch of crazier idiot gang bangers than him. I would have loved to seen the end of it all. Did the cops show up? Did the gang banger go to jail? What happened to the gang banger's buddy?

Great vid.

"Fingers off trigger, action open, and check barrel before even possibly pointing a gun [at] anyone"
Old July 24, 2009, 12:20 PM   #30
Cosmic Zamboni

I'm just kind of shocked that people would try to defend a guy who assaulted somebody with firearm because he got his butt whipped over it.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer screen and critique what somebody else did when a gun was stuck in his face. Real easy. I got robbed once by a guy with a gun who demanded that I empty my pockets. I didn't empty my pockets, but I started talking to him, so he had to get my wallet out of my pocket himself. The whole time I was looking for an opportunity to get the gun without getting shot but once he seemed satisfied with the wallet, I decided to let it go. It was a matter of opportunity and timing. But it's not in my nature to submit or to comply.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:24 PM   #31
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

From what I see... The SB's just clammed up about the gun one of them now had and left the BG to the care of the "blue shirt" that walked out of the building. Now they got a gun to get in trouble with later.
Brent
Old July 24, 2009, 01:03 PM   #32
JohnnyBmore

That gang banger was sooo lucky . If that had been half the CCW guys on this site im sure he would be dead . & a skate board can get pretty bad so like i said..
that dumbass is lucky .
Old July 24, 2009, 01:11 PM   #33
Housezealot

Quote:
It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees
KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!
Old July 24, 2009, 01:23 PM   #34
Housezealot

Quote:
The SB's just clammed up about the gun one of them now had and left the BG to the care of the "blue shirt" that walked out of the building. Now they got a gun to get in trouble with later.
I just watched the video again and actually when "blue shirt" is trying to break it up at least one of the kids is yelling "he pulled a Gun"
Old July 24, 2009, 01:27 PM   #35
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What i mean is none volunteered to turn it over and I think I see one kid possibly picking it up when they head in to the scrap.
Brent
Old July 24, 2009, 01:58 PM   #36
csmsss

Quote:
What i mean is none volunteered to turn it over and I think I see one kid possibly picking it up when they head in to the scrap.
Since the video stopped before everything drew to a conclusion, I don't think you have much basis to ASSUME that one of the skateboarders kept the gun. We simply don't know what happened to it - perhaps we should leave it at that instead of speculating.
Old July 24, 2009, 02:10 PM   #37
TailGator

The gunman can be seen on the video grabbing the skateboarder's shirt and hanging on when the skateboarder tried to disengage. Skateboarder therefore had little choice but to continue his defense. Plus, at the beginning, the skateboarder's gestures give a strong impression that he was attempting to calm the situation. I can find no fault with the skateboarder.

If that was a security guard coming in at the end, he sure approached an armed confrontation rather casually, don't you think? But then, I couldn't tell where the gun was at that time, so maybe he didn't see it.

Video evidence is helpful should any charges be brought against the skateboarder and in prosecuting the gunman. Granted that LE could not have arrived in time to affect the outcome, would ya'll have preferred the cell phone be used to record video or call 911?
Old July 24, 2009, 02:18 PM   #38
S_Constitutionist

Im not trying to give the impression that the skateboarder was in the wrong. He had a gun pulled on him and thus, the GB was threatening his life. Personally, I wish he would have messed him up far worse. Originally, it seemed to me that the other kids joining in, hitting the GB with their boards was excessive- though that was my first take. Now, im not so sure. It seems that the GB WAS continually trying to gain the upper hand (Grabbing/throwing/etc) rather than defend his head.

I agree- props to the kid. Im not sure I would have the guts to do what he did- but in that situation, I suppose instict takes over.

Unfortunately I do not have the rest of the story, I'll post more info when/if there is news coverage and or more info comes out.
Old July 24, 2009, 03:04 PM   #39
Sixer

That GB will probably get his butt whooped again when his homies see this

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old July 24, 2009, 03:27 PM   #40
Thursday

Wow he handled that well. Sounds like the GB is talking ish while he's getting spanked. That kid delivers some blows, you can even see how dazed and messed up the GB is when he stands up. I honestly don't think he even had a thought of using that gun, just trying to intimidate. It was a legal fight! 1:25 in you can see the ref come in.
Old July 24, 2009, 03:29 PM   #41
Housezealot

Quote:
That GB will probably get his butt whooped again when his homies see this
you know that's an interesting thought, we all keep worring about gang retalition to the SB, I have no knowlage about how a gang works but perhaps the GB would not want everyone to know he didn't have the "Guts" to pull the trigger and got whooped by a kid half his size
Old July 24, 2009, 03:30 PM   #42
chadwimc

I'm too old,fat and slow to be wrestling with punks. If, for some reason, I was able to get the bad guy to the ground, I would do anything in my power to leave him there for the coroner. I would consider anybody trying to pull me off a threat.

Of course I'm too old, fat and slow to be skate boarding too...
Old July 24, 2009, 04:21 PM   #43
markj

I hope repurcussions are not soon to follow on this young man. He showed a lot of nerve, he tried to avoid it as long as he could have. Having a gun pointed at you makes you think.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:23 PM   #44
Composer_1777

LOL this doesn't even count.... That wannabe thug couldn't shoot a barn in front of his face.

He was just swinging around a gun and got punched... big deal.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:28 PM   #45
Eskimo

Quote:
I'm just kind of shocked that people would try to defend a guy who assaulted somebody with firearm because he got his butt whipped over it.

It's easy to sit in front of your computer screen and critique what somebody else did when a gun was stuck in his face. Real easy. I got robbed once by a guy with a gun who demanded that I empty my pockets. I didn't empty my pockets, but I started talking to him, so he had to get my wallet out of my pocket himself. The whole time I was looking for an opportunity to get the gun without getting shot but once he seemed satisfied with the wallet, I decided to let it go. It was a matter of opportunity and timing. But it's not in my nature to submit or to comply.
I don't see a single person defending him.. elaborate?
Old July 24, 2009, 04:41 PM   #46
TailGator

Quote:
Originally, it seemed to me that the other kids joining in, hitting the GB with their boards was excessive
Probably not. Think about it - if you were on a jury for a kid who used his skateboard against a guy with a gun, who would you say had the disparity of force on his side? Add in that the gunman is the aggressor, with no apparent provocation, and the kids with the skateboards look to be in the clear to me.

Just my take, of course, but while the gunman was starting to lose the fight, he was still resisting when the other kid got in his whacks with the skateboard. I have a really hard time seeing that go against them.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:44 PM   #47
MLeake

Still think it was staged...

... for one thing, in similar clips done by actual newscameramen, when the BG has friends (there's a second banger at start of clip) they almost always come to threaten the person with camera, to try to make them stop recording. Neither banger approached the guy filming.

The fat banger posed and postured way too much, and seemed to be hamming it up for the camera.

Most of the punches and skateboard hits didn't look like they connected.

The fat banger wasn't bleeding anywhere, after theoretically being hit multiple times with skateboards.

The second banger doesn't do much of anything to help his pard.

And again, the skaters posted the video to a major internet site, where they had to suspect the gang would eventually see it.

For all those reasons, I think this was a staged prank.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:55 PM   #48
Housezealot

granted I doubt the sb's would have thought of it, the GB could concievably (I know its a stretch) had a BUG. I would not have considered the threat stopped untill he and his buddy were totally restrained.
Old July 24, 2009, 06:13 PM   #49
EastSideRich

Quote:
when the BG has friends (there's a second banger at start of clip) they almost always come to threaten the person with camera, to try to make them stop recording. Neither banger approached the guy filming
If you look close when the fight goes to the ground, The friend is tied up with two of the skaters on the ground about 20 ft away.
Could be staged I guess, but I think a lot of the blows while they're struggling on the ground connected. That was a genuine ass-whoopin; whether it was staged or not I guess we'll never know.

One more thing: Did anyone else hear a shot at about 1:17 on the video?
Old July 24, 2009, 08:21 PM   #50
Slopemeno

That's not staged. I'd give that kid (Victim #1, I suppose) lots of credit for keeping his composure and turning the tables.