The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 8, 2012, 12:01 PM   #26
hoytinak

Quote:
I guess people don't know how to use their fist any more?
Actually, I can still hold my own but having a pistol helps cause you never know what's going to happen. About 2 weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were walking around one of the parks here pretty late (bout midnight). We had a guy that looked like he was just sitting on one of the benches watching the lake jump up right in front of us and pull a knife on us try to rob us. I was able to get him to the ground and get the knife from him, holding him there till APD showed up. Never once pulled my gun, just didn't feel like I needed to.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:29 PM   #27
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistolgripshotty
I guess people don't know how to use their fist any more? Most people that I encounter that carry can't even throw a decent punch.
This certainly doesn't have anything to do with the subject of this thread and is pretty much beside the point.

Many of us are no longer young. Some may have some disability issues. And in any case, the point is self defense, not mutual combat. The point is to be able to deal with a possible armed assailant or multiple assailants. The point is to avoid becoming a victim of violent crime.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old October 8, 2012, 01:17 PM   #28
rodeo roy

Where I live church is about the only place I go where carrying is not allowed but I can with the pastors ok but, in the parking lot in my ride in my lockbox is my piece. When I go to my kids football games I lockup too. When I wash the cars, walk the dog, sitting in the backyard, I'm armed and ready. Once I get dressed my gun is part of my clothes, not my pjs.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:41 PM   #29
iraiam

My employer prohibits firearms on thier property, so 4 days a week (4 10's), I am unarmed, not that bad, it's a secure site and a secured parking lot.

Other than that I am always armed, I am a believer. As far as being able to fight, yes I can fight if need be and have successfully defended my self unarmed before, however, It is not recommended as there is always a better figher about, unless maybe you are Chuck Norris. In my case one hit to my pacemaker and I'm collapsed in pain. Yes, I was 38 when I had to have a pacemaker installed.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old October 8, 2012, 01:43 PM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

All the time...If I'm in the shower, it sits on the toilet. If I'm brushing my teeth before bed, it's next to me (I have a skylight that illuminates when the light is on.) If I'm home I'm usually wearing pants all day long so it's at my 4:00 IWB or OWB.

Outside of work. 24/7 @ 3:00 OWB or 4:00 IWB.
Old October 8, 2012, 01:58 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

In a class, a large gentleman opined that folks don't mess with him because of his side. Using a training knife, the small teacher basically 'eviscerated' him.

Oops -

I was also an expert witness in a case. Two gentlemen had an interaction over a road incident. The large young man advanced on the older skinny man to use his skill at fisticuffs. The old man took a paring knife (little thing) out of his pocket and stuck it into the young fist fighter -who proceeded to drop stone cold dead from a magic sweet spot hit.

That's why distance is your friend. Fist fists are last resorts and to be avoided.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #32
Pistolgripshotty

Quote:
Never once pulled my gun, just didn't feel like I needed to.
I respect it man. It never hurts to have a good mixture of both firearms training and martial arts. But I am saying that the people I encounter depend on their firearms a little to much because in the Corps we think differently.
Old October 9, 2012, 08:21 AM   #33
j3ffr0

Quote:
As far as being able to fight, yes I can fight if need be and have successfully defended my self unarmed before, however, It is not recommended as there is always a better fighter about, unless maybe you are Chuck Norris. In my case one hit to my pacemaker and I'm collapsed in pain. Yes, I was 38 when I had to have a pacemaker installed.
My understanding is that unless there is an obvious disparity in force, I'm NOT legally justified in drawing a deadly weapon to defend myself against some guy who just wants to kick my butt. I also realize that: 1) days of the old fashioned fist fight are either over or never existed, 2) There is always a tougher man than me just around the corner. Life is complicated and the situations we find ourselves in are often not simple. All that said, I'd rather recover from and old fashioned butt kicking than a murder charge due to undue use of deadly force.
Old October 10, 2012, 07:35 AM   #34
45_auto

Quote:
My understanding is that unless there is an obvious disparity in force, I'm NOT legally justified in drawing a deadly weapon to defend myself against some guy who just wants to kick my butt.
You really need to get some training. You believe that as long as a guy is just trying to kill you with his bare hands you're not allowed to use your weapon??? I suppose that you didn't really want the use of your eyes that he gouged out or that arm that he broke in 43 places anyway ....

I'm not sure exactly how it's worded in Virginia, but in most jurisdictions deadly force is legal to use if you are in fear of death or serious bodily injury.

Quote:
I'd rather recover from and old fashioned butt kicking than a murder charge due to undue use of deadly force.
Who has control over when he stops kicking your butt? How do you know you'll be able to recover from whatever injuries he chooses to inflict on you?
Old October 10, 2012, 07:53 AM   #35
bikerbill

I carry every day (even at home, where I take off my EDC and slip an NAA Pug into my pocket) except where it's against the law, as so many others have said ... and since I don't go to bars much, that means only for post office runs ... There are few other places where I can't carry in the great state of Texas; hell, I can take my gun into the Capitol if I want ... shedding a tear for those forced to live in less-enlightened locations ...

Fist fights are great if you're young and all your parts work; at 67, I'm not going toe to toe with anybody unless there's no other option ...
Old October 10, 2012, 08:26 AM   #36
Brit

Post number 6 and 7 says it all!
Old October 10, 2012, 09:14 AM   #37
TAKtical

I carry a glock 17 every day. I do not spend my hard earned money at criminal safe zones.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 10, 2012, 10:10 AM   #38
Harryball

Carry Every day, were it is legal to do so.
Old October 10, 2012, 03:37 PM   #39
Transplant

My permit is for display only it seems. The only places I truly spend much time at (college, work) both do not allow cc. Neither are very safe either. Counting down the time to move on...
Old October 11, 2012, 02:29 AM   #40
Sheriff Gotcha

I have just gotten into the firearms thing and bought a CZ-85 for protection for the house. Never thought I'd actually be interested in carrying everyday, but in light of recent reading and now that I actually have my carry license I'm looking for a smaller lighter double stack 9 that I can conceal better than that heavy steel framed CZ.

That being said I plan on carrying everywhere I can. Thankfully PA is a relatively gun friendly state.