The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 07:45 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Gun Identification App

So I am about to get my first smartphone and someone told me that there was a gun ID app out there. As described to me its basically just like it sounds, an image of a firearm is displayed and you are asked to identify it through multiple choice. For example a M1928 Thompson will be displayed and options like M1A1 and M1921 will be options along with something obviously wrong like Steyer TMP.

Anyway, anyone know anything more about this? Or was I given incorrect information...
Old January 28, 2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Alabama Shooter

I know of such things. Given the state of "permissions" for smart phones you could not pay me to use it.
Old January 28, 2013, 09:26 PM   #3
StukaJU87

While I don't personally know anything about the app in question, I can reccomend a gun app that I've found to be very useful. It's called: Gun Disassembly 2. As the name implies, it's main purpose is to show you how to disassemble firearms. It has a demo option that will disassemble them and then reassemble them for you, or you can do it yourself. It also tells you the number of parts and names of all parts. The app is currently up to 64 different available models. The app is free but of course you only get a couple free models. One free model is the Colt 1911, I don't remeber the other free ones, the rest cost .99 a piece. I bought the lifetime membership so I get all future updates for free. IIRC lifetime costs around $20 - $30. Sounds expensive, I know, but it's actually helped me out a few times. It works on pc, iOS, and android.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:44 PM   #4
'88Scrat

Huh?

No one else has seen this? I gotta be honest I was really looking forward to this App in particular. Kill my spare time by becoming familiar with all kinds of firearms; AWSOME!
Old January 31, 2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Hosty79

I just found an app called "Name That Gun" in the android app store. It sounds like its what you're looking for.