The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 12, 2011, 12:59 AM   #1
aaalaska

moose season

Yesterday was the first day of archery moose here, today I was helping a friend and as we were driving around he mentioned he had been hunting the day before. I told him I couldn't draw a bow because of a shoulder tear , but knew a legal bull was living between our places, as we drove home we took that route and spotted the bull feeding , long story short ,I got to help field dress my first moose this year, and am looking for some fresh moose on the grill. The best part is the moose fell within 50 yds of the rd and we had a younger guy do all the packing.
Alex
Old August 12, 2011, 06:57 AM   #2
Deja vu

sounds like a good hunt. I have had a moose on my property recently, unfortunatly I did not draw a tag. I hope he makes it till next years hunt

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 19, 2011, 07:50 PM   #3
publius

That's great, and damn nice of you to put him on it. I get just as much enjoyment seeing a friend kill a good animal, especially if I'm there.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Cowboy_mo

Congrats to you and your friend!!! That sounds like the perfect hunt.
Old August 20, 2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Rifleman1776

Sounds like more of a harvest than a hunt.
Enjoy the meat.
Old August 20, 2011, 02:17 PM   #6
publius

Instead of being on foot when they initially saw the animal they were in a vehicle, makes no difference. he had to stalk the animal within bow distance and make the shot just the same. You don't "harvest" with a bow. Even if he had been gun hunting he still had to get out of the vehicle and put on a stalk. How it was spotted initially, (on foot, horseback, or a vehicle) is immaterial. Good, ethical, hunt, and you should be very happy.