The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 28, 2009, 09:24 AM   #1
Re4mer

1911 For Target Shooting

I am thinking about getting a new full size 1911 for target shooting this summer. What brand/model do you guys recommend. I am also hoping to stay under 1200.00 in price.
Old February 28, 2009, 11:15 AM   #2
kraigwy

Colt
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 28, 2009, 01:50 PM   #3
WESHOOT2

define "target shooting"

If you mean "shooting at targets", buy a S&W or Kimber 5" 1911.

If you mean "Bullseye competition target shooting", you're gonna need more than $1200.....
Old February 28, 2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Re4mer

Well my goal is to eventually become good enough to do a few competitions, however I am limited as to how much I can spend at one time so I picked that amount as the most realistic base price for my present circumstances. I didn't factor in any later modifications to the gun or upgrades.
Old February 28, 2009, 03:15 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

'Bullseye' competition, or USPSA/IDPA 'competition'?
Old February 28, 2009, 09:16 PM   #6
melchloboo

If bullseye, you should have no problem buying a decent used bullseye gun in that range.
Old March 1, 2009, 12:17 AM   #7
FM12

Go to www.olyarms.com and check out the Matchmaster model.
Old March 1, 2009, 06:58 AM   #8
darkgael

target

Colt.
Though, I have a Springfield that I bought used that has a fairly good trigger. If I was just starting out in BE type competition, I'd give it a go in it's stock form. The precision stage might be a challenge but 50 yard handgun targets aren't easy at best.
Pete
Old March 2, 2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Re4mer

Another question should the gun be a 5 or 6 inch model? Again this is only for target shooting so I don't care about carry option or any of that.
Old March 3, 2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Aldadentist

I shoot bullseye and I( think you should get a used bullseye 45 with a 5" barrel and iron sights to start. Spend your money on good reloading equipment and practice. If you find that you like it then sell the used gun you bought and get a nice custom build. Wait until you are sure you like bullseye. With a used gun you may have to replace the barrel if jacketed bullets were used a lot but otherwise it should be ok.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:16 PM   #11
Casimer

Quote:
If bullseye, you should have no problem buying a decent used bullseye gun in that range.
+1

Used BE pistols are often a steal, considering the quality of their build and parts.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:40 PM   #12
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re4mer
Well my goal is to eventually become good enough to do a few competitions,
You still haven't said in which kind of competition you intend to engage; that's going to have a bearing on what kind of gun you'll need, or be allowed to use.

Some guys are thinking Bullseye, others IDPA, and I'm thinking "Sure you could buy a decent bowling pin gun for less than $1200..."
Old April 23, 2009, 01:52 PM   #13
ForneyRider

You can get a nice Kimber or Springfield Loaded for about $800. Add $200-400 for a match trigger, de-burr job and parts fitted to match specs.

A fitted Bushing barrel is more accurate than a bull barrel fitted to the frame.
Old April 23, 2009, 10:55 PM   #14
sidaemon

Kimber. I own one, have a friend that owns two, and they are by far the best and most consistant pistol in 1911 that I have ever seen. Mine was so nice I took it to the range, let my wife shoot it once, and now am looking for a new Kimber....
Old April 26, 2009, 01:03 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...a decent bowling pin gun..." A stock 'Milspec' Springfield with a trigger job and chamfering the chamber would be a decent pin gun. High visibilty factory sights.
"...you're gonna need more than $1200..." Nope. Good sights and a trigger job is enough. Good ammo is critical though.
"...if jacketed bullets were used a lot..." Too expensive to shoot reguarly. Cast 230 grain RN's or FP's with 4.5 grains of Bullseye works well out of my Series 70 Colt. Scary accurate.
"...become good enough to do a few competitions..." Go shoot the competitions anyway and don't worry about placing. It's great fun and you'll meet some of the best people you'll ever meet. Most of whom will bend over backwards to help you.
Whichever pistol you buy(find a used Series 70 Colt) will need a trigger job. High visiblity(big, front and rear), adjustable, sights are best. And you have to sight in with the ammo you intend using. If you aren't reloading now, you will be. Factory ammo is expensive no matter what bullet it's loaded with.. As are jacketed bullets, previously mentioned, for reloading. If you're not reloading now, you will be.
Old May 6, 2009, 06:14 PM   #16
veronicak

I concur with T. O'Heir. Shoot the match anyways; the people are wonderful.
And spelling and grammar do count, so does punctuation. :-)

("Eats, shoots and leaves.")

Veronica
Old May 13, 2009, 03:02 PM   #17
TheHawaiianGecko

I've been shooting a 70 series Colt, National Match - Clark Custom Combat for years, and I have a better gun than my eyes can shoot. Since CZ has taken over Dan Wesson, I've been seeing a lot of them around. They shoot fantastic out of the box and are priced right.

I know a lot of people who have purchased standard 1911s for $500, then modified the sights, trigger, springs etc. and you will wind up with as much or more money in it than a brand new Dan Wesson.
Old May 30, 2010, 02:33 AM   #18
HighExpert

My advice is to start shooting a decent .22 and find out if Bullseye is for you. When you buy a .45, make it a good one so you can't outshoot the gun. I went through that trama and it is no fun second guessing yourself every shot. Was it me or was it the gun. I have two .45s. One is a Gold Cup highly modified, hard chromed and rebarreled with a fully ramped barrel by Les Baer. My main gun is a Les Baer Premier. My gun is one the originals before Les started making his own frames. It will shoot sub 1.5" groups at 50 yards all day long if you do your part. I still cannot out shoot the gun. When I miss. I did it. I don't even think about the gun messing up. I shoot a SW Model 41 for .22 and a SW Model 52 for CF. Another decent .22 is the Ruger. They will shoot with just about any of them out there with the exception of the trigger which can be fixed. Most people I know with a Ruger have spent almost as much on it as they would have on a 41 by the time they get it right. I use Herrett stocks on all my guns and fell a good stock is almost as important as a good trigger. Good Luck. Bullseye can be a great mental challenge, although my wife says it is more boring than watching paint dry for the spectator.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:55 AM   #19
Slamfire

Before Bullseye collasped at our range, due to lack of interest, the serious shooters were buying new Les Bauer bullseye pistols.

These pistols were incredibly tight.

Bullseye pistols have to retain the old 1911 grip safety and some other old features.

Unlike the Colt's of the 80's, the better factory new M1911's don't rattle.
Old May 30, 2010, 04:45 PM   #20
sgms

competition shooting

You want to shoot big bore(.45) match all you really need to do is find a club or range that shoots NRA match. Get any good quality .45 with adjustable sights and join in. NRA classifications have a tryo or new shooter classification. Get started learn and practice, practice, ect.,ect.. I started with a model 70 government with a set of adj. sights and did accuracy upgrades as needed and could afford. Now six years latter I'm shooting a fully custom longslide. And playing around with a EAA Match pistol in .45. I bought it new at my local shop for around $600.00. It's impressive and would be a good starting place till you can afford a tricked out paper puncher.
Old May 30, 2010, 10:14 PM   #21
johns7022

1911s for competition: You'll end up with a custom gun...it has to fit you...sights, grips, trigger, ect...