The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Do you legally carry at work even if it's against company policy?
I have a gun on me whenever it's legal for me to do so... 91 70.54%
I need the pay-check to badly to risk getting caught... 38 29.46%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old October 7, 2008, 06:48 PM   #101
longtooth50

The question was "Do you legally carry at work even if it's against company policy?"

I carry at work & it is not against co policy.
Old October 7, 2008, 07:44 PM   #102
zookeeperk9

Some times no means no I don't want to know you carry a gun, My employer has a no weapons policy also. They have a lot of policy's that were made to be broken, the policy's are just there to cover there back sides. I work for an electrical contractor and if I fallowed all the policy's to the tee I would not be able to preform my duties, seriously could not get the jobs done and they know that. I work out of a service truck, I get sent to all kinds of places at all times of the day and night. I have had a manager with me on two different occasions ask me "you have your gun with you don't ya ?" when we were in a ruff part of town. The first time I answered "I don't own a gun" and I didn't. The second time I answered "that would be against company policy" and pointed to my hip. So the policy is no weapons but in private they say they wouldn't do my job with out a weapon. Concealed means concealed. I carry my J frame with me every day. The policy is not directed at me and the other service drivers that are discrete but they can't put that in writing.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:00 PM   #103
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
And so the concerns of the other employees are irrelevant if they conflict with your concerns?
Yes, if their concerns will get me killed or injured.

Quote:
I find most rationalizations to be rather sad, in fact, as they rarely reflect well on a person's character.
I find those who resort to calling people dishonest because they don't like what they post to be rather sad as well. Better get used to it David, not everybody who disagrees with you is dishonest or wrong. You may be wrong.

Quote:
But hey, if your daughter or son has told you they would be home at 10:30, and come straggling in about 3 hours later, it'll be OK if they just changed their mind.
Well see, my children are under my authority and I am not under yours thank God. I don't have to follow your rules, again thank God.

Quote:
I was a cop, remember. I've heard it over and over: That law isn't fair. It's OK as long as nobody finds out. Nobody should get to tell me how to live my life. Yep, heard it all before.
That's probably what the real issue is you are having with those on here who disagree with you. As a cop you were able to force your ideas of right and wrong on people and intimidate them into compliance. Frankly, I am glad you are no longer a cop and it's kind of frightening that you once were. Fortunately, you aren't anymore and have no authority here. I think I see the authoritarian pattern though.

Quote:
translates into an academic let them eat cake response,
The "just quit" answer you keep giving and here's more let them eat cake:

Quote:
Joe always has a choice....Joe can choose to work there or not. Joe can choose to follow the rules or not. Joe can choose to be honest or not.
Quote:
Everybody has that choice. Come on now, be realistic. If you really thought your life would be in actual danger if you went to work tomorrow, would you go??
Tell that crap to the guy who works at the local "shop and rob" or the inner city liquor store. He has no choice.

Quote:
don't know. Why don't you ask the folks at Virginia Tech how nice and safe their place was.
Most dishonest to compare college campus environment to the places I've described which are far more dangerous. Shame on you!

Quote:
In fact, far more employees would argue against your position than for it, in my experience.
That sort of sounds like stuff the Brady's say. I don't care if a million people think I should obey a rule and die, that doesn't mean I will obey it and die.

Quote:
Given the propensity for questionable decision making shown here, and the fact that you support dishonest behavior any time you feel it is OK, I might suggest having you run around armed in the work place is a greater danger to safety.
Now you are putting words in my mouth. Stick to the topic David, I have never supported dishonest behavior anytime someone feels like it. Now who's being dishonest?

Quote:
Given that I have consistently advocated honesty and telling the truth and you have advocated the opposite,
What I have read you advocating is your own arrogance, self-righteousness and ego. You can't or won't see that there may be several sides to an issue and like many of the other posts I have read from you, there is only one way; yours. You have no idea that a rule may be unjust and wrong only that is a rule and must be followed whether ethical or not. No questions, no thought to the impact that obeying the rule will have. Do it or quit. That is the same mindset that I guess some Germans had when they herded up undesirables.

You know better and have a smug pat answer for everything. Like "just quit".

It's a shame because some of what I have read from you is pretty inciteful and knowledgeable. Unfortunately, when one is often wrong but never in doubt and those that disagree with them are considered stupid or dishonest then the ground is fertile for abuse and delusion. Too bad.

Quote:
You'd rather make things up that fuel your own opinion than make any effort to discover the facts. No problem. Ranks right there with some of these other ethical challenges that seem like such high hurdles for you.
You've shown no facts either, just sat on your academic holier than thou high horse and made judgements about situations and people you have no idea of. I hope your students can see around that.

One other thing, your constant negative references to my character of which you know little, while a personal attack is no big deal. Condemnation from someone I have little respect for means nothing to me.

PS take a look at the poll up top. Lots of dishonest people on here. LOL

Last edited by Tennessee Gentleman; October 7, 2008 at 10:38 PM.
Old October 7, 2008, 09:45 PM   #104
longcoldwinter

Dave you seem awful quick to pass judgement, calling people "dishonest" or "lacking moral fiber". You seem to have forgotten your opinion is just that a opinion no more right or wrong then anyone elses.

Some people have to make tough choices, risk getting fired for not following another humans edicts or dont carry and hope they never need there firearm.

As far as the idea that a worker does not need to carry because other workers dont carry:barf: Thats the same line of logic the anti's like to use, not exactly good company.
Old October 8, 2008, 09:35 AM   #105
pax

This one's been repetitive for awhile, and some folks are beginning to lose their cool, so -- closed.

Thanks to those who resisted temptation!

pax
Closed Thread