The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 12, 2008, 11:21 PM   #26
skeeter1

"My wife says she don't like it and tells me I should arm myself. Something just seemed creepy

That's all you need. Always trust your instincts, ALWAYS!!"

I don't know what the law is in south Florida, but here in Ohio, it's perfectly legal to carry a firearm in your own house, and I do. When I leave the house, then I switch to a little (2.5") folding knife, also quite legal. CCW licenses are dreadfully expensive. Last time I checked ($175), so I gave up on the idea. Besides, I have to walk with a cane everywhere anymore, and I have several, and I suspect any of them would make a good shillelagh (I have one of those, too) if I ever needed it, and perfectly legal.

The little NAA revolver that I carry in my pocket around the house might not be much, but I've shot it, and with CCI Velocitors, well, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end. I keep a .38Spl+P by my bed. The bigger iron is all locked up in the safe.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I tend to do that sometimes.
Old October 13, 2008, 01:47 AM   #27
Nnobby45

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Quote:
I think that having CCW and DL in hand when LE arrives is sufficent.

Unless I'm holding the suspect at gunpoint or the gunfight is still in progress............
LOL, Ah, Jeez, no kidding? if you were in the middle of a gunfight or holding the suspect at gun point, that would be quite different than ZO6vettever's situation in which the suspect left the scene before officers arrived. It's only to that, or similar situations (no gunfights in progress or drawn guns) I was referring to.

Then you went an injected the hypothectical-- you crafty devil. LOL
Old October 13, 2008, 03:51 PM   #28
HogManMagnum

hey, Z06, u did the right thing and im glad it worked out ok. south florida has had a rise in home invasions lately so i cant balme anyone for even overreacting in that situation...

at the end of the day the BGs are scared off, the family is safe and u didnt have to fire the sigma. good deal
Old October 13, 2008, 03:53 PM   #29
Nnobby45

Quote:
Last evening about 6PM I got a call from someone who could hardly speak English who wanted to see my house (for sale by owner)........
I live in an area north of Reno called the North Valleys. Homes in my neighborhood are 1 acre lots. There have been many homes for sale for a long time and a high percentage of buyers are Hispanic whose language skills range from zero to excellent. Mostly good folks who like horses, keep to themselves, and are family oriented.

If somebody is coming to look at your house, then it's logical that they'd be a couple. With English skills sorely lacking, as in the case of your prospective buyer, the "Spanish jib" you described may have been an attempt to communicate after being threatened with bullet holes should he not show up alone--especially if he was on his way with wife, mother-in law, and all the kids--with everyone eager to look at their possible new home.

You were quite correct to be on alert and suspicious, but, under the circumstances, you might have, from the start, asked him who was coming with him, what kind of car did he drive, etc. Sounds like the kind of thing that could happen with someone who "barely speaks English".

What are the chances that language barrier was the problem? I don't know, but I suspect a lot more likely than gang bangers who want to gain access to your home through trickery and rob you--- or worse. I'm not saying you were wrong, just that you might have left out the bullet hole part.

If something similar to way I described was the case, it might have been who called the police in stead of you. Guess we'll never know if you saved your lives or just scared some people looking for a new home.
Old October 13, 2008, 05:36 PM   #30
Slopemeno

I also think it's a good argument for subbing out what youre not prepared to do yourself. Having your house emptied, then staged, and sold by a realtor will probably make you more money anyway. I'd be willing to bet speaking Spanish isn't a bad call these days for realtors either.

I'm all for being prepared, but let's be realistic. What percentage of "visits" results in a home invasion in the US every year? Very, very, very few.
Old October 17, 2008, 06:21 AM   #31
JAYBIRD78

Strange indeed. You did what you felt was right and no blood/no foul as far as I'm concerned.

What does concern me is yet again the cops don't trust you/me/us. Unload for their safety? THEY are in control of YOUR firearm while being ARMED themselves. What isn't all ready safe about that. Then in my opinion to rub salt in a wound they run the serial number on your pistol. Like Joe Citizen is going to bring a illegal gun with him to the door with cops showing up.

ATTENTION: THEY don't trust you.............so PLEASE DON'T trust THEM.

BE SAFE
Old October 17, 2008, 06:29 AM   #32
heyduke

I guess I don't get it.

No one broke in, let alone showed up at the house

Then, the cops come and you're raising your gun in the air

I guess I consider myself lucky. The road to my house is on my land, and you can't see the house from the road. Someone comes to my house, either myself or my animals will know it, and by chance if someone comes down that road meaning me harm, they will wish I called the local sheriff