The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 27, 2013, 01:27 AM   #1
DavidB2

Partially loaded ammo clip ejecting out of M1 Garand

Today when shooting my M1 Garand; a partially loaded clip ejected at least twice. I have an adjustable gas plug on the rifle so that I can shoot Winchester 150 gr. soft points. However, I wondered if I don't have the plug set correctly? I know those gas plugs can be tricky to dial in. Definitely, I can't shoot military surplus rounds without the clip ejecting itself after the first shot. Any thoughts on this issue or suggestions?
Old January 27, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
4EVERM-14

It is likely that there are worn internal parts. The clip latch, accelerator and op-rod catch are related to working with the clip system. One or all of them are not being cooperative.
Distinguished Rifleman #731
Presidents 100
Old January 27, 2013, 10:25 AM   #3
kraigwy

Premature ejecting of the clip (ejecting a partially loaded clip) is cause by a bent follower rod. In case one doesn't know, (not saying you don't, just adding for those who may not know) the follower rod is the long rod that the operating rod spring slides over. One end of the spring goes inside the operating rod, the other slides onto the "follower rod".

Just for info: Anyone who has a Garand, or likes Garands should get a copy of Hatcher's "Book of The Garand". Besides history, shooting and improving the rifles accuracy, the book covers malfunctions and how to fix them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 27, 2013, 01:20 PM   #4
blfuller

Kraigwy is correct, a bent follower rod cycles the op rod catch and the clips unlatch early. I may add a couple of other possibilities, the follower rod forks are excessively worn, the clip latch spring is weak or short, and lastly the operating rod catch depressor arm was altered or damaged.

Another good book is the Kuhnhausen "The US .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles, A Shop Manual, Volumes I & II"
Old January 27, 2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Jimro

Hmm...I had a similar problem, that spent clips weren't ejected.

I also had a problem of short cycling, so I replaced the OPROD spring. The old spring was about two inches longer than the replacement spring I got, is that normal for an OPROD spring to grow over the lifecycle?

I put an empty clip into the magazine, and a hearty pull to the rear with the charging handle sent it out, but it didn't seem to eject very far, only a few inches above the receiver instead of what I would expect from a Garand. Although I'm sure my hand doesn't operate the weapon as fiercely as a 30-06 round does.

So how would you go about determining which parts are worn causing weak ejection?

Jimro
Old January 27, 2013, 03:17 PM   #6
stepmac

The Garand is a finely made machine and tuned to only those rounds it was made to shoot. So, to keep from damaging your rifle you must shoot rounds that match military rounds and powder.

Reloading manuals usually tell you how to match milspec ammo, the old M2. Use only 150 to 175 grain bullets. Originals were either 152 or 174. It is important to use the proper powder. I use nothing but IMR4895. Do not over load the rounds... You want them to come out at about 2800 fps.

You can load a 30-06 round a lot hotter than the Garand wants to shoot. You can bend the operating rod. BTW: it is a little bent anyway. If you want to create a monster '06 round then shoot a bolt rifle like a 1917 Enfield.

You have to baby the Garand, and if you feed it what it wants to eat it'll shoot forever.
Old January 27, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7
stepmac

About Garand clips. If they get bent they don't work right. Since they are flying all around and landing on concrete at the range check the "wings" to insure they are not damaged. Use only perfectly shaped and undamaged clips in your M-1. If it's working right that clip should fly almost straight up and about three feet into the air.

The Garand isn't as easy to load as some think. In unworn rifles you have to jam the clip in there HARD. It will usually not chamber. You'll have to push the heel of your right hand against the rear of the Op Rod handle to chamber the first round. If the clip is not all the way down the op rod will not go home.

However, some rifles are a bit worn and lubricated and as soon as the clip is inserted all the way in, the operating rod closes. Be ready to get your thumb out of the way of the bolt as it comes home!

BTW: you are unlikely to chamber your thumb when loading. The famous "MI Thumb" happened during inspection arms when the GI had to stick his thumb all the way into the magazine well to disengage the magazine follower which closed the bolt....hard.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:23 PM   #8
tater134

I had the same problem with my M1. I replaced the clip latch spring and got new clips and the problem went away. Clip latch springs are only $2.50 so it wouldn't hurt to change it out.
Old January 29, 2013, 06:23 AM   #9
Orlando

Common issue, things to check in this order
Clip latch spring
Bad foreign made enblocs
Worn lobe on bullet guide
Worn clip latch