The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 4, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
pvt.Long

Hogs

Well I dont know where this fits. I live in texas in the DFW area and in city limits and there is a pack of wild hogs that have destroyed my yard. The land lord has contacted the owner of the land they're coming from and she has gotten no response. The only gun I have big enough to put them down is a m14. I do need some advice.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Tex S

Sounds like you need a live trap to me.

Police don't like it when you discharge a firearm in the city limits. I don't know this first hand, but I am taking a wild guess.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
rjrivero

Bow and Arrow?

Do you have a compound bow? I can't shoot a gun in the city, but there's no law that says I can't shoot a bow on my own property. Just sayin.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:06 PM   #4
alloy

Discovery channel is airing a show on hogs right now.
Old February 4, 2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Tex S

Quote:
Discovery channel is airing a show on hogs right now.
Yup, and it is making me want to go kill a few real bad.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:15 PM   #6
pvt.Long

Im not a bow guy at all and i know they dont like it at all but, im realy shure then they wont like these hogs walking up to where the bus stop around 6:30 in the morning when the kids are getting on the bus. These hogs are getting brave.They have already walked a buddy of mine to his car at 5 in the morning
Old February 4, 2010, 11:16 PM   #7
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
Well I dont know where this fits. I live in texas in the DFW area and in city limits and there is a pack of wild hogs that have destroyed my yard. The land lord has contacted the owner of the land they're coming from and she has gotten no response.
If they are actual wild/feral hogs then the landowner of the land where they are coming from isn't responsible for controlling the hogs or the damage they create. So I am not surprised that your land lord hasn't gotten a response out of them.

As noted, a live trap might be your best option, especially if there are numerous hogs.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:30 PM   #8
carguychris

What city is this?

You might want to check your local ordinances. It's not illegal by default to discharge firearms within city limits in TX; state law allows cities to prohibit it, but they have to enact an ordinance first. Most larger communities have such an ordinance on the books, but not all of them.

TX law also exempts certain tracts of land over 10 acres in size.

However, I agree that live traps are probably the safest answer.
Old February 4, 2010, 11:36 PM   #9
jkohler

Head shots with a high power air rifle will do just fine up to 30 yards or so
Old February 4, 2010, 11:55 PM   #10
45Gunner

What kind of hogs are these? How many cc's? Straight Pipes or baffles? Custom chrome or all OEM? Buy 'em a round of beer and speak V-Twin talk. That will get their attention and probably some pretty wild stories to boot. Thank 'em for coming and give 'em directions to the biker bar on the other side of town with the really good looking chicks. Sure to drive 'em away from your place. And in your very best Texan, say: Ya'll come back again, ya 'ear.
NRA Life Member
Old February 4, 2010, 11:59 PM   #11
jkohler

If that is the case just buy a rice rocket and they will stop coming around haha
Old February 4, 2010, 11:59 PM   #12
pvt.Long

theres a guy supposedly coming out but he sure is dragging his feet and there is an ordinance prohibiting discharging of firearms.Traps around the area even on the famous craigslist.com are quite expensive. its just a lil o .308 comeon it aint gona make to much noise.
Old February 5, 2010, 12:04 AM   #13
jkohler

.308 is a great rifle i love them almost as much as my .300wm but if you are worried about noise i would consider going with a bow or high power air rifle i have taken turkey and hog with my air rifle and its fun
Old February 5, 2010, 12:11 AM   #14
rjrivero

Too bad I'm all the way up in OHIO. I'd be happy to sharpen some broad heads and eliminate the problem for you. Sounds like it may take a couple of days to do but what fun it would be!!
Old February 5, 2010, 12:24 AM   #15
simoncrk

I live west of Ardmore Ok, jsut 25 miles north the Red. I'll come take em out for a fee. LOL!!!
My .308 with suppresor plays HAVOC on those little suckers!!!!!!!!! They never hear it comin!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We've got em bad up here.
Old February 5, 2010, 12:31 AM   #16
FALacy

I say shoot it Seems like you're lookin' for that answer
Old February 5, 2010, 04:07 AM   #17
Bluehighways

Maybe someday those hogs will make it up to my neck of the woods. Some Wisconsin hog hunting would be FUUUUUUUN!
Old February 5, 2010, 06:43 AM   #18
P97

We've got them bad here, and hunting them might be fun, but the damage they do is no fun. I have to take a tractor and blade to cover the holes they dig in my pasture.
Old February 5, 2010, 08:22 AM   #19
blume357

I'd say a M-14 will do the trick... but you will either need a big cooler or

be ready to butcher and dress them right away afterwards...
Old February 5, 2010, 09:04 AM   #20
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
theres a guy supposedly coming out but he sure is dragging his feet and there is an ordinance prohibiting discharging of firearms.Traps around the area even on the famous craigslist.com are quite expensive. its just a lil o .308 comeon it aint gona make to much noise.
Well gosh, if the guy isn't coming, you can't use guns, traps are too expensive, then I guess you just need to man-up and work on your ambush tactics and when the hogs come to your yard, run out and dispatch them with your pig sticker knife. I have seen guys do it on video. Supposedly, it is quite sporting, though I am not sure it doesn't involve a goodly amount of alcohol useage both before and after the ambush.
Old February 5, 2010, 09:43 AM   #21
ClayInTx

I had a problem with a dog pack and the Animal Control officer loaned me a trap. She was very cooperative because a dog pack will get braver and braver and eventually attack a child.

I don’t know about an unprovoked hog attacking anyone but a big boar can tear up a dog in a moment.

Anyway, I baited the trap and set it. Caught the biggest darn feral tomcat I ever saw (no, it wasn’t a bobcat). I got a shovel to turn over the trap so the gate would open. No way was I going to put my hands on it. That cat was torqued, hissing, growling, and letting me know he was quite displeased.

When the gate opened I learned a cattus domesticus wildicus can run 30mph if it wants to.

Never did catch a dog but the officer called on the persons who owned them and the problem went away.
Old February 5, 2010, 03:41 PM   #22
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

PM me some additional location info and I can put a hog dogger in touch with you...
Brent
Old February 5, 2010, 04:00 PM   #23
TRguy

This will work

No Report, no super sonic crack, no worries over a rifle projectile flying off not hitting the intended target.

Old February 5, 2010, 05:05 PM   #24
horatioo

My uncle used one of the steel rings that go around round bales of hay and set it up as a trip type trap. He caught 18 pigs at one time. He lived about 80 miles east of Dallas.

good luck
Old February 5, 2010, 05:28 PM   #25
dromaeosaur

There are break barrel pellet rifles that can hit with more energy than subsonic .22lr rounds. The gamos, the daisy 1000x, a lot more. The daisy will be cheap like 50 bucks.

If you have a slingshot you can convert it to a sling bow. There are slingshots that can be made powerfull enough to penetrate or at least smash the brain of most medium and small game.

There are cheap 30 dollar crossbows that have 90 pound draw weight look at pyramidair and airgundepot.

You can always beat them down with a baseball bat and sling the m14 over your shoulder in case they dont run away, just for personal safety. Heck if you can instigate them to charge you you'd probably be within your legal right to blow their brains out.

Here's what i'd do: Throw a cabbage patch doll or other baby doll into the yard, nobody watching. And shoot the hell out of the pigs because i think they are attacking a baby.