The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 4, 2000, 09:10 PM   #1
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Lou recently sent me one of his new CQC-I for the Kahr MK9 to test. Upon intial inspection, this holster is pleasing to the eye. Obviously, the holster was boned to the contour of the little 9mm.

Upon placing the MK9 inside the holster, it fit like a glove. Not too tight and definitely not loose.

The CQC-I is an IWB holster. It has snaps on the loop for taking the holster off and putting it back on. It definitely beats taking your belt off everytime. The holster has a slight cant. Nothing extreme like a Mitch Rosen ARG but definitely makes for a very fast draw.

I wore the holster around all day. It disappears underneath a t-shirt. The MK9 is a small pistol. Add that with a comfortable holster and it's a joy to carry. 5 stars to Lou Alessi

Can you tell I'm wearing the MK9 AND a full size 1911?

The CQC-I

Old November 4, 2000, 09:11 PM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I forgot to mention, this holster comes with two sets of loops. One is for 1.5" belts and the other is for 1.25" belts.
Old November 4, 2000, 09:51 PM   #3
bad4u

Nice review with great pics, Son!

One question: Looking at the pics, it looks like the top of the holster is reinforced. Is it metal-spring reinforced?

I have a DeSantis IWB holster that is not reinforced, and the holster tends to collapse after the pistol is drawn. This makes re-holstering the pistol a 2-hands operation.
Old November 4, 2000, 09:55 PM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

The holster is reinforced. I don't believe it's reinforced with metal. However, that does not mean it's not. I'll ask Lou and get back to you.
Old November 5, 2000, 12:38 PM   #5
Louis F. Alessi

Son, Thanks a million for the review, and photos. For a thin guy you really hide those guns well, and I think I know where to look!
Regarding the reinforced mouthband on the CQC/I holster. We don't use steel inside our
reinforcing bands for a reason. If one falls or rolls on his side (as in roll over prone),
the steel can be crushed closed and puts the
holster out of commission until it can be opened back up or otherwise repaired. This can prove disastrous in a situation where someone may not be able to get his holster repaired immediately. The steel band reinforcement is however very important when a holster is designed without a higher back,ie: when the mouth of the holster is symetrical. When a holster is designed with a higher backside, or sweat guard, or shirt guard, as our are, the steel is really unecessary because even with age and softening, there is a 'guide' to re-holstering the gun, and with proper design, and engineering,(using subtle curves to combat the collapsing) the holster should never go completely flat.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it..
[email protected]
Old November 5, 2000, 01:08 PM   #6
ctc

Lou -
After looking at the pics of the snaps I was wondering if you make "split" snaps? This way you can "capture" a belt loop, by snapping on either side, when you put it on helping to minimizing movement.

-- Chuck
Old November 5, 2000, 01:40 PM   #7
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

Welcome to TFL Lou! This is a GREAT board. I couldn't decide which holster to wear today! I eventually decided on the CQC/I.

Thanks again Lou!
Old November 5, 2000, 07:36 PM   #8
Jim V

Hey, Lou welcome to the board my friend. Ok, youse mugs, if you want well made leather gear, Lou is the man.

------------------
"If there be treachery, let there be jihad."
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Old November 6, 2000, 10:08 AM   #9
cobraman

Welcome Aboard Lou. I love my Talon!
Old November 6, 2000, 10:27 AM   #10
Louis F. Alessi

Gentlemen; Thanks to all for that welcome. I really do appreciate it very much.
ctc: The belt loops on the CQC/I are split far enough up on the back side to 'capture' a
belt loop. The only difference is you would have to thread the belt through the loop on the pants before snapping the holster loop.
It wouldn't be a difficult task for us to make a loop that is split all the way so it would make it easier to attach the holster.
That's something that could be ordered at no extra charge.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
[email protected]
Old November 6, 2000, 01:15 PM   #11
M1911

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bad4u:

I have a DeSantis IWB holster that is not reinforced, and the holster tends to collapse after the pistol is drawn. This makes re-holstering the pistol a 2-hands operation.
[/quote]

That's exactly why I no longer use the 3 Galco holsters that I have. Reholstering with two hands is DANGEROUS. It puts your weak hand down there near the muzzle of a loaded gun. Very bad juju. Get a decent holster and retire the one that is collapsing.

I haven't tried any of Lou's holsters, but I've only heard good things about his work. I do have several from Rusty Sherrick that I really like:
http://www.c-rusty.com

Rusty's IWB holsters do not collapse after drawing and are not reinforced with steel. They're hard molded horsehide.

M1911
Old November 6, 2000, 01:37 PM   #12
buzz_knox

Hey Lou

How slim is the CQC-I? I've come to realize that "thin is in" when it comes to IWB. Thus, my recent interest in 1911s. I'd been thinking of an ARG Slimline but, frankly, can't seem to bring myself to spend $165.

Any suggestions?

By the way, the belt you made from me has become my most used belt, for all occasions. It's definitely good enough for suit use (which I'm using it for right now). And, the mag carriers you made for my brother-in-law are in service in defense of him and his family. Thanks again, Lou.
Old November 6, 2000, 02:02 PM   #13
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

M1911
Rusty lives pretty close to me. He made several custom models to suit my slim build. The horsehide is definitely nice. I believe that's all he uses.
Old November 6, 2000, 02:50 PM   #14
OF

Welcome to TFL, Lou! You have big time fans here, myself included. My Talon Plus is my daily rig and I couldn't be happier. A good friend is now awaiting his Talon Plus as well.

- gabe
Old November 6, 2000, 03:26 PM   #15
buzz_knox

Son and Lou,

In followup to my recent question, think the CGC-I would be a good rig for a Glock 17? I don't have any leather for mine yet. I need something that will help keep the ammo-heavy butt (gotta love 17 rounds on tap) from swinging out or shifting too much.
Old November 6, 2000, 03:32 PM   #16
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

buzz
it'd be great for your G17. The double loops makes for a very stable holster. It will not shift on you if you are wearing a proper gun belt.
Old November 6, 2000, 04:40 PM   #17
M1911

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ArmySon:
The horsehide is definitely nice. I believe that's all he uses.[/quote]

Yup, all of Rusty's holsters are horsehide.

M1911
Old November 6, 2000, 11:23 PM   #18
Louis F. Alessi

Thanks to one and all for the very warm welcome!
Buzz: Glad you're happy with your belt. Regarding the CQC/I, it is a thin holster. This was another one of Dave Spaulding's ideas. An IWB using a 5 ounce steerhide body, and a heavy 8 ounce reinforcing band at the top. The thin/light leather needed some body, so I came up with a unique sight rail that is one piece and shaped like a 'U'
which keeps the holster body from going flat when the gun is withdrawn. This holster can be made using some really thin leather (like Shell Cordovan) and not have to be lined to provide body.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
[email protected]