The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2012, 11:20 AM   #26
anode

99% alcohol

Try Amazon.com
I bought both the 99% alcohol, and the 100% lanolin there a couple of months back
Old October 11, 2012, 11:33 AM   #27
zxcvbob

Castor oil (from the drug store) is almost as good an EP lube as lanolin, and it is soluble in alcohol. It's also a lot easier to find than lanolin, and it's cheaper.

"IsoHeet" is a fuel line deicer that's 99% isopropyl alcohol and pretty easy to find.

I haven't tried mixing them yet to make a spray lube. I have used castor oil for sizing cases and it works great.
Old October 11, 2012, 12:16 PM   #28
William T. Watts

IMO

In the past 46 years I've purchased maybe (6) 2 oz containers of RCBS case lube that has lubed thousands of cases, this is not a high dollar item, the up side I've never stuck a case. How much money does one spend trying to save pennies and may very well stick a case in the process. William
Old October 12, 2012, 09:16 PM   #29
Edward429451

Quote:
I wanted to make my own awhile back but couldn't find lanolin anywhere.
Pharmacy. Anhydrous lanolin can be found in the med supply store. I bought it as an ingredient to my felix lube and for swaging bullets.

The felix lube is a great lube for boolits and easy to make.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:13 PM   #30
rebs

I am starting to believe that all the different brands of sizing lube are about the same, some like brand x, some like brand z and some like home made.
Old October 14, 2012, 12:37 PM   #31
jag2

Another source for 99% IPA, we use it in the printing business (printing presses, not computers and laser printers) so if you live in a city large enough to have printing supply businesses they will have it or maybe your local printer would sell you some. Seems like we used to pay about $20 a gallon but that was a few years ago.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:21 PM   #32
Mule

I use ISO-HEAT from the automotive department at Wally World.
Old October 14, 2012, 07:30 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Yikes! I don't think I've ever seen a zombie thread brought back to life so easily. 2007, then one guy writes "no post", and suddenly it's on fire again.

I've bought 99% Isopropyl OH from Microcenter before. Used for cleaning electronic board components and for flux removal.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old October 16, 2012, 12:43 PM   #34
korny351

As the cooler weather approaches, does the lanolin stay in solution or will it separate? If it separates, will shaking be enough to get it back into solution or will reheating be required?