The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 13, 2009, 09:40 PM   #1
sakeneko

Crimson Trace Laser Grips

I tried out some Crimson Trace laser grips at the store today, and was sold. I have limited vision -- blind in one eye, correctable to 20/30 or thereabouts in the other. With this grip and that wonderful red dot, I could get a better sight picture than I've ever managed with normal sights. I could get a solid picture out at least 75 feet, which is more than enough for any self-defense situation I would anticipate being in. Even better, they're part of the grip, which means that they don't add bulk or bumps that need to be handled when carrying concealed.

That store unfortunately didn't have grips for my S&W Model 60, but another store in town did, so I shelled out the nearly $300 for them. I've been dry firing all evening. Tomorrow we head to the range, where I plan to get them dialed in and adjusted perfectly for me. :-)

I know some of you have these grips. Do they make this sort of difference for people with normal (20/20) vision, or vision correctable to normal?
Old June 13, 2009, 10:02 PM   #2
JohnPaul

I have laser sight on 3 of my guns. They allow me to hit targets out much farther than my Iron sights. I really like them...but... There are some ppl that feel that you should not become dependent on them in case they fail. I somewhat agree with that, I practice with and without them. My vision isnt to good and in low light a lzr sight or night sights are great. BTW check out opticsplanet.com that is where I have bought all my lazer sights and a lot of other crap, their prices are good and you get free shipping. I just got CTC for my wife's Model 60 a few months ago, at the time they had em on sale for about 200 and free shipping - http://www.opticsplanet.net/crimson-...n-j-frame.html
Old June 13, 2009, 10:02 PM   #3
MLeake

Depending on range set

I have CTC on my SP101. Because the laser is both below and to the right of the bore axis, it is only spot on at the range I have it set for. Right now, it's zeroed at 15 yards. This means I hit high and left by an inch or two at closer ranges, and low and right at farther ranges. Even so, I can put 50/50 in the silhouette torso at 25 yards with the CTC, which is not bad for a snubby.

That said, at closer ranges I'm more accurate with the iron sights, as they are near zero out to 25yds. I could adjust for Kentucky windage with the laser in close, but don't feel the need. The other thing is, while the laser is great to have in certain conditions, I have to use a modified grip to be able to actuate it - the curse of long fingers. For rapid, close in fire, I am not sure I could use it; it would probably flicker, as my finger moved on and off the button.

For anybody with weak eyes, the CTC is a definite bonus. I have somewhere between 20/15 and 20/20, and it still provides me with some potential benefit.

It also makes a great dry firing training tool. I've spent a lot of time with the SP, keeping the dot on a doorknob as I pull through full double action cycles. You get immediate feedback as to whether you are pulling the gun offline.

Of course, because it has the laser, that's the handgun I loaned my parents recently... not sure when I'll get it back. Crime is up in their area, so I'm in no hurry.
Old June 14, 2009, 09:38 PM   #4
chris in va

These?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Crimson-Trac...3A1%7C294%3A50
I thought about getting one for my Kahr.
Old June 14, 2009, 09:58 PM   #5
sakeneko

That's the item, Chris from VA. :-)

MLeake -- I noticed that the built-in sights (which are nicely aligned) show that the dot is above and to the left slightly when I'm dry-firing up close. At first I thought that was a bad adjustment, but it appears that they are adjusted perfectly for 50 ft. I think I'm just going to leave them there and train to make the proper close-up adjustments when shooting.

It sounds as if they make a huge difference when you have bad or weak vision, or a poor-visibility/low-light environment, but not as much for those with 20/20 vision in a clearly visible environment. I'm planning to practice both using the dot and not using it; don't want to be completely dependent upon it. But it *really* makes a difference in the quality of my shot placement. :-)
Old June 16, 2009, 10:09 AM   #6
bdturner

I have been thinking about getting a handgun just to put CT grips on. My up close vision is very limited and iron sights are out without glasses. This would be the answer to my problems for things that go bump in the night.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:20 PM   #7
A_McDougal

My justification was that it actually saves money in ammo costs.
Now, if I could just find ammo to spend money on.
Old June 16, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
808Chaney

I put CT grips on my Sig Pro (currently my only gun) and absolutely love them. I zeroed them in for the max distance that I would ever use the gun for in an HD situation. Any other distances I shoot I just compensate accordingly. I've noticed it is real easy to get lazy with the laser though. I try to use the iron sights as well as the laser but every now and again I have noticed myself just pointing the laser and shooting. For dryfire practice I too have been aiming at stationary objects within my house in double action trying to keep it from dancing all over the place. TV shows sure do make it look easy.
Old June 16, 2009, 08:23 PM   #9
BikerRN

I like the laser because I find it faster when I am without my glasses. It also allows me to watch the threat, which is important and more natural than trying to see the thirteen striations on my front sight.

90% of my training is without the laser. I don't go looking for the dot. If I see it great, if not I'm using my sights, which I would be planning to do anyways. This is one of those, if it's there use it, if it's not then don't waste time looking for it.

I've found that to be a very natural and quick approach for me. YMMV. BTW: I favore both Night Sights and CT Laser grips, but if I could only have one it would be the laser.

Biker
Old June 18, 2009, 02:46 PM   #10
Jhawk412

I think BikerRN hit on the other part of the answer. Lasers do two things,

1) help you sight your gun in low/no light, with bad vision, whatever.

2) allows you to watch the suspect you're holding at gunpoint, should that situation arise.
Old June 28, 2009, 06:38 AM   #11
3 gun

Only real downside to CT grips is the cost. The upside, should you choose to learn to use them correctly, is significant. Low light, no light, lost glasses, odd positions, deterrent, training feedback, one hand activation, etc. With CT grips even if the batteries die or the grip breaks it does not prevent the gun from being used. I'd put them on any gun I own for home defense or CC. I'm not a bad shot and I don't have a lot of cash and I've still bought three sets so far.
Opportunity knocks..Trouble kicks down the door.
Old June 28, 2009, 04:34 PM   #12
CraigJS

And if your laser grips are ever used to save your life or a loved ones life the cost is minimal..
Old June 30, 2009, 04:42 PM   #13
smalltownguy

cost vs price
cost 165 ish price = saves your life if you need to use them