The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2014, 04:25 PM   #76
Skans

Quote:
At the end of the day, if someone had really a revolutionary new bullet design that worked, it would have been widely adopted by now.
....or at least banned by now. Such as steel/tungsten core, depleted uranium, incendiary (in some states), steel darts, etc.
Old February 16, 2014, 09:06 PM   #77
ClydeFrog

Hold onto your hats & open your wallets.....

I was on www.SGammo.com & saw they sold the new G2R RIP 9x19mm rounds.
They are now sold out now but they plan to get more.
By the way, SG Ammo is charging $44.00 for 20 RIP rounds.
If the GA based firm is switching over to DRT, www.DRTammo.com then they might change the prices/vendors.

Clyde
Old February 16, 2014, 11:17 PM   #78
Light256

i want 1 round of this just for the novelty of it. i put it in a little baggy and i can point at it and show it to ppl.. and say. will you look at that? sorta weird looking isn't it? oh and of course i don't even have a 9mm lol. but def. cool and weird looking.
Old February 20, 2014, 08:56 AM   #79
skizzums

i was at my LGS last week for about 20 minutes, in that time i overheard two different customers asking for the new RIP ammuntion, i kept my mouth shut, but it seems the demand is definetly there

i actually really like the DRT bullet, i have it and gold dots alternating in my HD gun, ive seen the DRT in action with hunting and it was pretty impressive, but really its just super accurate and easy to shoot

i also have to say that when i bought the dynamic research technology ammo, i had never heard the acronym DRT, it was just a nice looking box and a neat lightweight bullet to me, it wasnt until this forum that i figured out the DEAD RIGHT THERE thing, that has kinda turned me off to it, after i shoot it, i will probably not purchase again and will use the Cor-Bon alternative that uses the same bullet

Last edited by skizzums; February 20, 2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old February 20, 2014, 11:31 AM   #80
ClydeFrog

Hot chicks with big guns.....

Don't forget the DRT ads/marketing/packages with photo art of hot babes holding big guns.

I can just picture a prosecutor or litigator waving that box/ad in the faces of a criminal or civil jury.

FWIW; DRT reportedly scored big in 2013. It was a little known brand but due to the other major firms(Corbon, Speer-CCI/Gold Dot, Remington, Black Hills, Winchester, etc) having supply/logistics problems, DRT got more sales.
There was a business media article last year that said DRT went from a small staff working one shift to a growing company working day and night.

Clyde
Old February 20, 2014, 11:56 AM   #81
skizzums

i heard about the girls with the guns on the box, mine doesnt have any of that, it looks pretty professional now, still need to remove the little DRT logo though

Old February 21, 2014, 05:52 AM   #82
Brotherbadger

Meh, i'll stick with my gold dots. RIP seems like a nice novelty like dragon's breath. Costly, but not really that practical.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old February 22, 2014, 12:11 AM   #83
sakata8242

Gimmick. Plain and simple.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:55 AM   #84
Maddnotez

Resurrection

So....

Now that this has been on the shelves. What do you all think?

96 grain bullet that looks deadly and costs over $2.00 per round. Also note they have already had some recalls.

What's the verdict on these things? All hype?

I'd pay that for a couple of boxes IF they're worth it. One test box and one keep in mags for emergency only box.

I'm really new to guns but what scares me is the 96 grain seems a bit on the skimpy side.

Anyway just curious of some opinions now that they've been out for a bit.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:57 AM   #85
Uncle Malice

Quote:
All hype?
Yes. Don't bother.

Stick with Federal HST, Speer Gold Dor, or Remington Golden Saber.

Quote:
96 grain seems a bit on the skimpy side
Especially when you consider that once all of those superficial petals break off, you're left with a core that's about 50gr... not much more than a 22lr. No thanks.

The 12g slug version might be gnarly. I wouldn't use on in a pistol round though.
Old January 4, 2015, 09:43 PM   #86
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Now that this has been on the shelves. What do you all think?

96 grain bullet that looks deadly and costs over $2.00 per round. Also note they have already had some recalls.

What's the verdict on these things? All hype?
We know that penetration in FBI Ballistic Gelatin is important. It's a widely accepted "standard" used in ammo testing.

I've seen the videos of what this round will do in that gel. That gel is meant to simulate human tissue. Studies say that a round must penetrate at least 12" into the body to reach and damage stuff that's important. The body is about that thick for some folks, maybe a good bit more for others, but it's also more than just tissue. With some FBI Ballistic Gelatin tests, penetration of more than 12" (as much as 16" or 18") is sought.

[Note: I restated the following paragraph, as I wasn't as clear, the first time through, in how I expressed my concerns.]

I'd like to see some videos of what those small pieces do when the bullet must first go through several layers of fabric (denim, leather, workout clothes, etc.) and, possibly, how they do when shot through something simulating harder materials, like the human rib cage. The larger piece probably penetrates about as well as a hot .32 A.C.P. round, if separation occurs as intended. The bullet if the unit doesn't separate, would probably act just like hardball! The small shrapnel-like pieces, if they DO separate, might cause bleeding, but they have to do their "spread" and split away from the bullet body AFTER they pass through the rib cage. In examples of rounds passing through wallboard/gypsum first they didn't really separate -- other materials might also "gum up" the bullet, in which case, it's just another "hardball"-like round without expansion. Hitting bone MIGHT have the same effect.

Stopping the other person QUICKLY is the key, because if he or she keeps coming, s/he can do YOU damage. A quick stop doesn't seem likely to happen with this round unless you're able to make a head shot.

To say I'm skeptical is a big understatement. Maybe there are more-convincing videos available to resolve the likelihood of the round being effective in getting THROUGH the rib cage and still functioning as designed.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; January 5, 2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old January 5, 2015, 10:55 PM   #87
pturner67

Walt: Interesting videos on the G2 RIP showing why it's hype. The third is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psGFPRpWZ3w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_27b9P0dfuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hpoyioicVU
Old January 6, 2015, 09:47 AM   #88
Walt Sherrill

Thanks for that. The third video addresses exactly the concerns I had about the ammo.
Old January 6, 2015, 11:07 AM   #89
SDF880

This ammo may indeed work pretty well but I would be more afraid of what some lawyer might do if you killed someone with this stuff! The name itself spells lawsuit - R.I.P and right on the box " The last round you will ever need"
Old January 6, 2015, 02:35 PM   #90
Wreck-n-Crew

Looks like they pulled the 45acp version off the shelf. First ammo I have seen blamed for Kabooms in 45 caliber Glock's?!. Silly round with unproven science.
The EMJ and Talons were more successful. The only magic pistol bullet is the one that hits the right spot ......Hence practice your magic!
Old January 6, 2015, 03:18 PM   #91
JD0x0

Gimmick.

The 9mm gel tests were able to be mimicked by a 30 grain .22LR fragmenting bullet and a 40 grain solid and actually achieved BETTER penetration with the .22's compared to the 9mm. (both the .22LR fragments, and also the solid penetrated deeper than the 9mm's 'fragments' as well as the solid part of the 9mm)

That's all the time I'm going to waste on this garbage.

Cutting edge bullets sells something similar, but doesn't come off as much as a scam. I think if the bullet is constructed right, you can get decent performance from them but those 'blades' that come off the bullet need to be heavy enough to penetrate well, and they need to shed late enough that something like an arm hit, or striking ribs doesn't cause the 'blades' to stop short of them doing their full damage potential.
https://cuttingedgebullets.com/cgi-b...ey=HGHP_9MM_90

Performance with these sorts of bullets seems to be much greater in a rifle bullet, as one might expect. The rifle projectiles seem much more promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cVl8xaegM
Old January 6, 2015, 03:26 PM   #92
jimbob86

Quote:
I'm disappointed that the video didn't have any ninjas. How am I supposed to take their claims seriously without ninjas?
Oh, there ARE ninjas there. Over a dozen. We just can't see them, because they're ninjas, silly!
Old January 6, 2015, 06:26 PM   #93
Cheapshooter

I hope it's good for Zombies so it can be used to destroy this year old thread!!!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 6, 2015, 09:17 PM   #94
Wreck-n-Crew

Quote:
I hope it's good for Zombies so it can be used to destroy this year old thread!!!
Old January 6, 2015, 09:35 PM   #95
skizzums

I know it's od, but i'll just add, yes it will likely kill somebody, but not any better and actually worse than ammo for less than half the cost.

and I love gimmicky ammo, I actually like DRT, not for it's wounding capabilities but for it's barrier penetration. I would think the RIP would be a very poor barrier penetrator among being poor at everything else. like the video said, your turning your capable 9mm into essentially a .380ACP

I like these pics to kinda see what your dealing with, too old for RIP though

Last edited by skizzums; January 6, 2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old January 6, 2015, 10:10 PM   #96
AdamSean

Some of this stuff is on recall so be aware.

http://concealednation.org/2014/12/a...could-blow-up/
Old January 6, 2015, 10:46 PM   #97
Cheapshooter

Quote:
I like these pics to kinda see what your dealing with, too old for RIP though
That pic always gives me a warm & fuzzy feeling carrying my S/A XD40 Sub Compact when I look at that big cavity, and deep penetration of the 180gr. 40 S&W!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!