The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 14, 1999, 11:58 AM   #1
OBIWAN

Does anyone have any experience, opinions, knowledge regarding training options for the defensive use of a knife? ( books, videos, classes)
Old May 14, 1999, 10:41 PM   #2
GLV

Hank Reinhardt, Atlanta, Georgia would be my suggestion for training. I might be able to dig out an address. GLV
Old May 23, 1999, 02:53 AM   #3
SKN

Try Shaykhet Training LLC, run by Lee Shaykhet, PO Box 250601, West Bloomfield, MI 48325, 800-677-4705. He has quite an impressive knowledge of edged weapon techniques and is a very good instructor.
Old May 23, 1999, 06:20 PM   #4
OBIWAN

Thanks SKN

West Bloomfield is pretty local for me!
Old May 25, 1999, 06:00 PM   #5
ATM

OBIWAN -

I just finished a weekend with Bob Kasper, he writes for Tactical Knives on Street Smarts. His course is geared to actual comabt with knives, not dueling (maritial arts type training). The difference being his course was simplicity, only a few basic techinques, with much emphasis in applying those techniques in various manners (single attacks, multiple attacks, standing, on the ground, and from behind) so you learned them well.

This is the same course he teaches to the military units he trains. As he says, they have to learn many different things and be proficient in all but masters of none. Sounds like the majority of people I know. People who wish to be good, but must still work all day and/or raise a family as well.

I feel like I learned alot, especially since I had no training going in. You can find out more at this website:

home.earthlink.net/~ghca/Kni-Com.html

If you register, send me an email. I live about twenty minutes from the Virginia training facility, and I may be able to give free room for the weekend. I say maybe since I may not be around when you want to come. He also offers courses in New Jersey (Ugh!!).

------------------
Freedom is not Free
Old May 25, 1999, 11:24 PM   #6
Rob Pincus

I took a course from Mad Dog Kevin McClung earlier this year and thought it was very well taught. It was actually a "Defense against edged weapons" course.. but it included a lot of basic knife work and theory.

I would highly recommend him as an instructor.

------------------
-Essayons
Old May 27, 1999, 01:16 PM   #7
OBIWAN

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

Special thanks to ATM for the lodging offer.
Old June 6, 1999, 02:20 AM   #8
Mossyrock

The gentleman mentioned in Atlanta kind of intrigues me, since I live in Augusta (when I am not deployed overseas, as I currently am...). Does anyone know how to contact Hank Reinhardt? Does he have a website or an active e-mail address? Thanks.

------------------
Mossyrock
"Just because you are paranoid doesn't
mean that they AREN'T out to get you."
Old June 6, 1999, 08:15 PM   #9
GLV

Mossyback, call LFI, Ayoob, should have information you need. GLV
Old June 10, 1999, 03:00 PM   #10
ctdonath

Ayoob is offering a two-day Knife/Counterknife course in Concord NH in mid-August.
Old June 10, 1999, 03:10 PM   #11
Rob Pincus

If you are in the Atlanta Area and looking for self-defense training.. armed and unarmed.. I suggest you head over to Bujinkan Atlanta Dojo. If I lived there, I'd be there.
It is Northeast of town, I think the road is Jimmy Carter blvd.... "Spectre" will know for sure, use his Email link here at TFL.

------------------
-Essayons