The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 11, 2013, 11:15 AM   #1
SPUTTER

Reloading 45 acp

I have not received by Hornady reloading book yet so I am posting to see if someone could look up and give me the information. I have found a site with the some information but want to make sure it is correct before moving on. I will be using a Hornady 230 gr. 45 ACP FMJ-RN, Titegroup powder and CCI 300 primers, I believe my OAL from dummy rounds is around 1.260 firing out of a 1911 45 auto 5" barrel. I have the following and would like the min and max grains, OAL (which varies between weapons). I also have some Speer 230gr, TMJ-RN. I will be using for plinking and work up a good load for accuracy.

Thanks
Old March 11, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Cheap 870

If I didn't have any reloading manuals I would refer to Hodgdon's site.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old March 11, 2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Ronbert

Both powder and bullet manufacturers post load information. Search engines are your friend.

It would be foolish of you to trust what someone posts as load data on the internet.

And it would be foolish of someone to post their load data for use by someone who doesn't seem to be doing his own homework.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:40 PM   #4
SPUTTER

I have checked the web site from hodgdon and others and I came up with some information, but I would like to check to see if I am in the ball park since my books have not came in yet. I have a Lymans 49th edition but does not say anything about 230 gr using Titegroup other than 225 gr. I am new to reloading and want to check things more than once to see.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:47 PM   #5
Ronbert

I'll relent on the homework angle. It sounds like you are trying.

But try some other bullet suppliers sites. Someone surely has documented Titegroup. Search engines can require some creativity to get additional results. How about emailing the manufacturer of Titegroup? 230 is THE standard hardball bullet for 45 ACP. Not 225......

But relying on someone else's typing skills on the net..... not a good idea.
Old March 11, 2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Cheap 870

I just looked at Hodgdon's site & it shows everything you asked.
As far as the difference between Speer's,Hornady's, or any other 230gr. FMJ they are all pretty much the same.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:19 PM   #7
SPUTTER

Understand what you are saying Rombert and Cheap 870 - Since new at reloading I am trying to stay with a recipe according to a manual or powder site with the particlur boolit. I see at Hodgdon site that they have FMJ FP and LRN and I plan on reloading a FMJ-RN and TMJ-RN so would this be about the same to begin a starting load? I appreciate your help and the suggestion that you have.
Old March 11, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
Ronbert

I'd use FMJ data for FMJ bullet. The jacket friction is what matters if the weight is the same. Your OALs may come out different but since you're going to start at the low end it won't matter much.

There is a pretty wide range of loads from starting to maximum in the 45ACP and 45ACP is a pretty low pressure cartridge so you have safety margins helping you if you start low and work up.

Don't make too many rounds to begin with. You might find your starting loads won't even fully cycle the gun.

Heed any warnings that might apply to Titegroup about going below minimums.

Copied from Hodgdon's load data page:
230 GR. HDY FMJ FP Hodgdon Titegroup .451" 1.200" 4.4 744 15,000 CUP 4.8 818 16,700 CUP

They are all listed as 230gr flat points. Fine. The weight and jacketing is what matters most. Seat your bullets to the maximum that will feed and start with lowest charge weight & you'll be fine.

I see that other webpages that used to be free with their data are now charging so it isn't as easy as I thought to get the data. (sorry about that!)

Last edited by Ronbert; March 11, 2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: checked Hodgdon's data page
Old March 11, 2013, 04:07 PM   #9
mikld

I would use the same data for FMJ and TMJ (Full metal jacket, and total metal jacket [base enclosed]) bullets. BTW the most common 225gr. bullet is a leas Lyman design castr bullet. I use a lot of them with the same load data as 230 gr. lead.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:19 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

I suggest not using any data from internet sites except the powder/bullet maker's sites. There is just too much danger that a helpful responder might type a 4 instead of a 3 and the result might be "ungood". The manuals and maker's web site data is double and triple checked and proof read over and over to be sure there are no mistakes that could result in damage to a gun or shooter (or result in a lawsuit).

Jim
Old March 11, 2013, 07:04 PM   #11
Misssissippi Dave

http://www.handloads.com/

There server is down at the moment. I won't use any of the information on this site without checking at least one or two other sources first. It is a source of sorts but as I said I won't rely on their data as my only source before loading a round up.

I check the Speer 14 book and they don't list the powder you have. It is the only book I keep next to the computer rather than the bench.