The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2005, 08:14 PM   #1
mike-ipsc

Lee Pro 1000

Im having some trouble with my lee pro 1000 loading 38 super, hoping someone out there can help....

the primer feeder seems to enjoy jamming open, which constantly runs primers through even when no case passes through. tried putting an extra spring underneath so the return arm for the primer guide returns and seats properly, but to no avail. Has anyone else had this headache?

also, i've tried to set up the auto bullet feeder which has proven to be a good laugh at least. once its loaded and grabs the first projectile in its flimsy little jaws, the rest of the projectiles stacked above it (be there 2 or 20) all come crashing down making a lovely mess (great when you're already frustrated!)

if anyone can point out what it is I'm doing wrong or what I need to do to solve some of these drama's it would be much appreciated!
Old February 15, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

You'll put your eye out with that thing, boy!

I had the whole priming system on a Pro 1000 blow up with just one hell of a bang. Cured me for life. I've heard from guys who just pulled the priming system off the press. They size and decap with only that die in place, prime off the press and run the brass through again with only the other two dies in place.

Can't tell you anything about the bullet feeder. I was cured before that came out.
Old February 17, 2005, 01:39 AM   #3
Scott5

What primers are you using?
The Pro 1000 doesn't like Winchesters, so try CCI.
Take the bullet feeder off until you solve the primer problem.
You may have to take the die plate and the shell plate carrier off the press and clean underneath where the primers come into the press.
If you've spilled powder on the press you will have to clean under the plate carrier. Taking that off may give you another clue as to what may be the problem with the primer feeder.

If that does'nt solve the problem the write back and we will see what else we can come up with.

happy shooting
Scott5
Old February 17, 2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Jailbirdwatcher

I have loaded 357's on a Lee 1000 for many years. I bought the press from a fellow who did not care for it. He told me that it crushed a lot of cases. I set it up and found it to be almost unusable. I disassembled the whole thing and gave it a very thorough cleaning. I then reassembled it, adjusted everything as the instructions advised, and the thing worked quite well. It fed cases, metered powder (very well), fed primers, and did not crush cases. The thing works very well, but it has to be clean.
Old February 17, 2005, 03:56 PM   #5
cukrus

Hi there, been through the primers continued feeding when a case was not present with a new shell plate carrier recently. The problem I had was that the spring loop that goes around the trip arm was not holding the primer seater up. The straight part of the spring fits in a groove under the shell plate carrier and I very slightly deepened that part of the groove toward the center of the shell plate carrier with a small saw blade so that the spring could slip under the flange on the primer seater. Works perfetly for me now.
As far as your bullet feeder problem, sounds like the wrong sized feeder die for the length of that bullet. I bet your using one too long for the bullet. Sometimes a thin spacer (couple layers of masking take, cardboard or cork disk) at the bottom of the die where the bullet rests will let you use a longer die for a shorter bullet as long as the spacer isn't so thick it interfers with the feed fingers. Also look at your handle motion at that part of the stoke - it's like pulling a tablecloth out from under the table setting - brisk and smooth did not come naturally at first to my wife and reloading companion.
Old February 17, 2005, 11:28 PM   #6
mike-ipsc

thanks for the input thus far guys.

shes been doing it from day one, but im gonna pull it all apart and see what i can find. i've tried adjusting the spring under the primer arm, but it didnt help - which is why i added the extra spring. but anyhow i'll get down there again and check it all out.
Old February 18, 2005, 01:14 AM   #7
bfox

Are you sure sensor clip is on right to stop it from feeding primers ?
I know on mine when I changed it over before I knocked it out of place .
Let us know when you find out what it is.

Good Luck , Bill
Old February 18, 2005, 08:47 AM   #8
.45 Vet

As already mentioned, make sure the case sensor arm is working freely. If the screw and sleeve/bushing are too tight it will not let the spring cycle properly. Also, if you have used a small block of wood to remove the shell plate carrier,(as recommended), check to make sure that the guide groove where the spring arm rides has not been mushroomed and is locking the return spring in the open posistion.