The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 3, 2013, 04:44 AM   #1
saltydog452

Home Security Safes, Fire ratings

If a home security safe has a fire rating advertised as 'X' degrees for 'Y' time, is that advertising refering to the the integrity of the safe, or the internal temp of the metal box?

Paper, such as non-replacabale Deeds, Certificates of Ownership, etc.,will char and become unreadable long before jewelry melts or firearms loose their metal temper.

In the event of death, the heirs would not have access to Safety Deposit boxes at the local Bank and Trust.

So where do you members keep the Titles of your Spanish Land Grants and the Deeds to your own personal gold mine on the family Ponderosa?

Thanks,

salty
Old July 3, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Technosavant

It's usually a rating regarding increase of internal temperature.

Thing is, gun safes use a different kind of protection than fire safes for documents (I'm no expert and can't give exact details, I've just read this from guys who do know safes).

If you're concerned about protecting documentation then I'd get a fire safe intended for documents; those can be had from several places. I'd not depend on a gun safe to keep documents safe in a fire.
Old July 3, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Armorer-at-Law

Quote:
It's usually a rating regarding increase of internal temperature.
This ^^^

Quote:
In the event of death, the heirs would not have access to Safety Deposit boxes at the local Bank and Trust.
As soon as an Executor or Administrator is appointed, he/she will be allowed to access a safety deposit box. This can be done fairly quickly (a few days, usually), if the person has a copy of the will in hand (so the will should not be kept in the safety deposit box). He/she will also need the key, otherwise the lock will have to be drilled at considerable expense.

A home safe for document should also be water tight. A flood (from a broken pipe, etc.) is more likely than fire, and fire is often accompanied by lots of water being dumped on the burning area.
Old July 3, 2013, 11:53 AM   #4
saltydog452

Thanks,

Paper documents and the original signatures on them from several years ago can not be replaced.

salty
Old July 3, 2013, 12:13 PM   #5
noelf2

Quote:
So where do you members keep the Titles of your Spanish Land Grants and the Deeds to your own personal gold mine on the family Ponderosa
In a pelican case, buried in my back yard with all my gold (and a couple street howitzers).
Old July 6, 2013, 01:42 AM   #6
45Gunner

My safe is rather huge and bought it about 10 years ago. It was a gun show special from a local dealer, made in the USA, and had a very high fire rating.
Just as a point of interest, the dealer no longer carries that brand of safe because they switched manufacturing to Mexico and the safe does not have the same integrity.

Anyway, back on point, I bought a small portable safe with a very high fire rating and keep my important papers, passports, cash, and other like items in that safe which sits on the bottom of my big safe.

In essence, I have a safe within a safe and feel that should give me adequate protection from any fire. The big safe sits in a corner with cement walls on two sides so unless a gasoline tanker takes a detour thru my house, my important papers, and hopefully my guns, magazines, and the other stuff will remain unscathed in the event of a fire.

Further, the safe is anchored 9" into a cement slab and I have a motion detector and infrared sensor guarding the safe at all times when I have exited my premises. Then of course there is my four legged, take 'em apart canine early warning system that would scare just about anyone that comes within a whiff's distance of the house.
NRA Life Member
Old July 6, 2013, 08:50 PM   #7
bt380

A safe rated at 1200 degrees at 60 minutes means that under those conditions, your items will not burn (could be ruined however pending the item). You can add extra protection w/ pouches or material in the safe to increase the protection. I live in the suburbs and have the safe in an area on concrete flooring that should be managed quickly since there isn't much there that will burn by the time the 5 minutes it takes for fire response by big fire engines. I was told by different safe companies to get at least a 60 minute rating at 1200 degrees. Firemen didn't have much to say other than we just put the fire out and have no idea if the materials in the safe made it or not.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:26 PM   #8
twp5253

Safe within Safe

My AMSEC BF6030 has some impressive fire ratings and yet, I am not completely relying on it. Note, the safe within a safe. My documents are in a fire safe, key attached, within my AMSEC safe. This is something I read about in a http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html Gun Safe Buyer's Guide. I noted also in the buyer's guide that the picture they used of a safe that survived a house fire was in fact an AMSEC safe.