The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 25, 2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Mystro

This forum is entertaining as much as it is informative....

I have been a member of this forum for years and realy have grow appreciative of its corky personality. Opinions are never hard to find, full of predijust owners willing to stand up for their favorite gun or manufacturer. But after you know how to use this forum, it is full of valuable information. It's like sitting at a local bar full of characters. Some people are clearly drunk but friendly and never shy to say why their ammo is best or what caliber is superior. In a country straying away from its second amendment right, it's nice to have a place where like minded characters can share. Just a big picture thought.

That is all.

Last edited by Mystro; October 26, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
tahunua001

why thank you mystro.
NOW GO OUT AND BUY A GLOCK RIGHT NOW!!!

oh wait, I'm one of the other guys...

IF YOU OWN A GLOCK, GO OUT AND SELL IT RIGHT NOW!!!!
Old October 25, 2012, 06:28 PM   #3
dayman

It's especially nice for those of us who live out in the sticks, and don't have gun clubs to frequent.
Old October 25, 2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Mystro

Yea, I live in the mountains but more importantly, I have two young kids so I can't hang out at the gun shop as much as I would like. I have to keep up on the forum for tips and tricks for all my handguns.
Here is a grey fox I took last week with my old 1971 S&W M17 22lr. I have a pair of mint m17's that are family heirloom. One 30 yard shot to the neck with a hyper velocity yellow jacket dumped him clean on the spot.

They don't build them like that anymore.

Last edited by Mystro; October 25, 2012 at 06:47 PM.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Like-minded!? Who you callin' like-minded?

Old October 25, 2012, 07:40 PM   #6
Archie

Mystro, I agree...

I was raised by wolves and don't get along in polite society so much.

I do better here.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 25, 2012, 07:42 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Nice fox Mystro. That 17 must be one heck of a good shooter.
Old October 25, 2012, 07:44 PM   #8
youngunz4life

luv the pix mystro thx. nice revolvers&nice blade always comes in handy
Old October 25, 2012, 08:07 PM   #9
Mystro

Thanks guys. I am having the fox done into a full body mount and incorporating it in a full Black Bear body mount I already have. They should look cool together in one scene.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Dwight55

I'm with you Mystro, . . .

Being a pastor, . . . I don't do the bar scene, . . . but this place is a good substitute, . . . plus most of the advice seems to be good.

Maybe a bit slanted in a certain direction, . . . but none the less, heart felt.

May God bless,
Dwight

PS: Don't buy no stinkin' Glock.
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old October 25, 2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Here is a grey fox I took last week with my old 1971 S&W M17 22lr.
Very cool! My K-22's are among my favorite handguns.

I used to know a guy who took rabbits with his. He was once criticized by someone who actually called him a murderer. She also felt that she held the moral high ground because she got her meat from the grocery store, where in her words, no animals were harmed.
Old October 25, 2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Metal god

COM-ON MaaN . Why all the H8 for the Glock
It's kinda like all the hate out there for apple . Do you think you would have all those cool Androids , galaxys and tablets if it wasn't for apple ? It's the same for all that combat tupperware out there now . You should be thanking Glock not trashing them .

No I do not own one . XD all the way man

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 25, 2012, 10:05 PM   #13
egor20

My BIL in England always grouses about Apple Fanboys and asked if we had them in the U.S..

I told him yes, they just own Glocks over this side of the pond.

Just kidding guys.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old October 25, 2012, 11:09 PM   #14
SPEMack618

Dude, love the K-22, and nice critter. But Kubota? This is 'Mericuh we drive Allis-Chalmers tractors.

In all seriousness though, I agree whole heartedly. I don't get to shoot no where near as much as I use to, nor do I really have any of my gun buddies around anymore, between marriage, second tours, and big boy jobs, so TFL ha definently become my virtual barber shop.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:08 AM   #15
DaleA

Quote:
-so TFL ha definently become my virtual barber shop.
+1.

I had to chuckle when I read this. Great way to think about this place.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:20 AM   #16
BlueTrain

I frequent several forums. This one is the quickest and easiest to read and make posts on and there are no ads at the top or sides. So as far as that goes, it is less frustrating than any other I can think of.

I realize that sometimes members, including myself, make comments that are a little provocative but that's the nature of a forum on which most members are anonymous. You say things you probably wouldn't say face to face but it's an outlet for things like that. Like playing the radio real loud in your car.
Buy War Bonds.
Old October 26, 2012, 07:57 AM   #17
Nathan

I agree, but wish the mods would loosen up the language requirements and also let the heated discussions flow a bit more.

I mean, I once got warned for answering a guys question and adding some pictures to make my point. I think I was warned for off topic post, but actually, it was spot on!
Old October 26, 2012, 01:35 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

We frown on profanity and crudeness. This isn't the boys' lockroom.

Nice Smiths, Mystro!!
Old October 26, 2012, 04:47 PM   #19
Metal god

I have a question for the staff . How do you guys decide when and why you close a thread ? Do a few of you get together and discuss a particular thread and come to a consensus ? Does each staff member that has the ability to close a thread just closes one when ever he or she feels like it ? The reason I ask is there are some threads that get closed for know real reason other then the staff does not like it . I see some threads that got closed that are virtualy the same as threads that are still open just with a different title . ( the thread that was closed was the first on the topic ) should you not close the new threads and reopen the origanal thread .

I'm sorry if these questions are answered in the rule page . I have not read all the rules and how the are enforced .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old October 26, 2012, 04:59 PM   #20
SIGSHR

I appreciate the mods frowning on crude and vulgar language, IMHO it creates a more family friendly and mature atmosphere.
Old October 26, 2012, 10:06 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I agree, but wish the mods would loosen up the language requirements and also let the heated discussions flow a bit more.
The question of boundaries and limits comes up, and the lines can be hard to define. Inflection is hard to tell from text alone, and arguments can get really nasty in short order.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:13 AM   #22
Bud Helms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal god

I have a question for the staff . How do you guys decide when and why you close a thread ? Do a few of you get together and discuss a particular thread and come to a consensus ? Does each staff member that has the ability to close a thread just closes one when ever he or she feels like it ? The reason I ask is there are some threads that get closed for know real reason other then the staff does not like it . I see some threads that got closed that are virtualy the same as threads that are still open just with a different title . ( the thread that was closed was the first on the topic ) should you not close the new threads and reopen the origanal thread .

I'm sorry if these questions are answered in the rule page . I have not read all the rules and how the are enforced .
It is a really, really good idea to read the rules. No matter how many forums or chat boards you have used, you have probably never read a set of rules like TFL's.

The answer to your question is: both. We have the individual authority to close a thread without consultation. On the other hand, we make it a practice to discuss any questionable case.

As for the inconsistency you noticed concerning similar thread topics (some closed and others left open), that is a case where we can use the million eyes of the membership to let us know about it. We welcome the help. Just click on a moderator's name and send us a PM. Don't forget to copy the link of the threads you are reporting. At least give us the forum name and thread title.

All of staff doesn't make it through every forum every day. Some of us spend most our time here in just a few forums. Even though you see moderator names listed on each forum/subforum, we do share global duties as moderators.

You are correct that when we find duplicate discussions underway, started by different members, sometimes in different forums, we should give the one which started first the preference. We also have the option to merge multiple threads on the same topic into one thread. The objective is to have one topic discussion, give preference to the earliest started and insure it is in the right forum.

'Hope that helps.

Now go read those rules.

Bud
Old October 27, 2012, 07:32 AM   #23
2damnold4this

Mystro, those are some nice revolvers. I'll bet you will enjoy teaching your kids to shoot them. : )
Old October 27, 2012, 07:54 AM   #24
vito

I too find the forums both informative and entertaining. While one must always be cautious about accepting advice or guidance on an internet forum, it seems most folks are genuine in their desire to share knowledge and experience. It also seems that there is a lot of turnover among the people who frequent The Firing Line, and other similar forums, since certain annoying questions seem to keep appearing, such as "What is the best gun?", or "If you could only own....." or " (pick your caliber) is the only good choice for personal defense" and similar questions.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:03 AM   #25
Mystro

Thanks my son just turned 5 so the BB gun is our first training tool. Everyone says having kids changes you and they are right. Now it's about taking a walk in the woods with my son and if you shoot a squirrel that's great but not a measure of success. When I am by my self, I am stone cold killer and my game face is on but anymore I am just as happy to take my gun for a walk in the woods with my son. Both my son and little daughter love venison an recognize when they see a deer, it eaqualls deer jerky and balloney. They already have a understanding how the circle of life works and what it means when daddy goes out with his bow or gun. I took a nice doe already and have 2 more tags but last week I blew off hunting for the day because the kids wanted a hayride. That would have been unimaginable before having kids.