The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 19, 2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Tuzo

Joy of M1917

Firearms that are older than me have a metaphysical appeal and the power to reduce the weight of dollars in my wallet. Latest acquisition is an Eddystone M1917 in great condition including soft cosmoline in a few crannies on the stock. Barrel is marked 1918 as is the receiver. Checking date of manufacture according to the serial number places the barrel 3 months younger than the receiver.

Bit of panic and buyer’s remorse when I could not chamber a full length sized casing. Why? you wonder. Barrel was clean with sharp rifling but the chamber was dirty. This was not noticed while checking details prior to purchase. A few moments with a chamber brush and the case smoothly slipped into the chamber.

Shot it yesterday and there was great joy shooting a 97-year old high power rifle with open sights. Windage and battle sight elevation was spot on, recoil was peasant, and the bolt operation was tight and smooth. About 2.5 inch 5-shot groupings at 50 yards and accuracy seemed to improve as the barrel warmed up. Or, I was merely getting used to the rifle and that improved accuracy.

Any members with similar M1917 experience?
Old April 19, 2015, 12:12 PM   #2
taylorce1

Good find, I have a 1917 made by Winchester in .300 H&H. It had been bubbaed when I gave $100 for it. So my 1917 experience isn't at all similar but I'll bet it has been almost as fun. Enjoy your piece of history!
Old April 19, 2015, 01:11 PM   #3
tahunua001

I have a 1918 made remington. it's rusted like none other and poor rifle doesn't shoot all that good, also beats the tar out of me but I still love them.
Old April 19, 2015, 04:52 PM   #4
KROIL

I have a Remington US Model 1917 - sometimes mistakenly called the P17. Its a good shooter and pretty accurate. It definately likes heavier bullets as accuracy is not as good with 150 gr. Also flat base bullets seem to be more accurate than boat tail's in it. Mine has a barrel date of 4/18. Recoil is not a problem as the rifle is no light weight. I shoot 3" groups at 100 yds,benched, with it and my eyes are not that great anymore. Great rifles that will only gain in value. Keep er nice.
Old April 19, 2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Dragonflydf

I have a 1917 Eddystone in the collection and it is my 2nd favorite bolt action US rifle, sorry, but the Krag is first. I found my 1917 to be more accurate than my 1903.

It is a truly a under appreciated rifle that saved our bacon in WWI.

Old April 19, 2015, 08:20 PM   #6
Slamfire

The M1917 was a great battle rifle, it was the main battle rifle used by American forces in WW1 and proved itself a reliable mechanism in countless wars since then.

Put the issue bayonet on the thing and you go around looking for something to stick it in. The bayonet is just as bad ass as the rifle.
Old April 19, 2015, 09:16 PM   #7
Dragonflydf

That is not a bayonet, it is a short sword

It is the middle one
Old April 20, 2015, 12:05 AM   #8
jaysouth

Here is a phot taken in late 66 in Binh Dinh Province, RVN. The bare chested troop on the left is holding a 1917 Enfield. Part of the rifle is behind the head of the black radio operator in the left bottom. This rifle as well as a 1903 Springfield and a lot of French weapons are pictured.

Conjecture is that the 1917 was supplied to Chinese Nationalist troops early in WWII. When the Nationalist troops were routed, most of their weapons were abandoned during their flight to the island known as Formosa back then. The Chicoms picked up the weapons, serviced and stored them until need arose. At which time they were transferred to North Vietnam which in turn shipped them South and issued them to local Viet Cong cadres.

When we found the pictured weapons in a cave, the local viet cong had just been re-armed with SKSs and their hodge podge of assorted weapons had been stored for future use somewhere else.

The eleven troops pictured are survivors of a 44 man platoon that was torn up on a very hot landing zone air assault three days prior. Three more were killed during the Christmas "truce" in 1966. The officer on the far right (cigarette in mouth) and I are the only survivors today.
Old April 20, 2015, 12:38 AM   #9
10-96

Jay- Thank you sir, and as always- welcome home.

I got my 3-18 bbl dated 1917 with the stock broken off at the wrist. and a good portion of the front metal gone. I got it back to shootable condition with a Boyd's stock and healthy donations to Numrich and Sarco. I don't know how the innards of the bbl survived whatever hell the stock had been through- but it's sound and shoots pretty well. Mine does ok with 168gr boat tails- 2.5" 12rnd shot group.

I noticed this years Blue Book of Gun Values lists the 1917 as having a 5-shot internal magazine... oops.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old April 20, 2015, 07:08 PM   #10
Tuzo

This is a good review of the M1917 history from our friends at the CMP: www.odcmp.org/503/rifle.pdf

Many US arms found in Vietnam were supplied to the French after World War II
in support of their return to French Indo China. France had plenty of soldiers but not much war materiel and the US helped DeGaulle re-colonize Vietnam. We, anti-colonialists, helped the colonialists. Some German arms also appeared in Vietnam.

I appreciate the platoon photo. Similar to a few of my photos from 1969 to 1971. Take care.
Old April 21, 2015, 02:45 PM   #11
SIGSHR

I have 2, a Winchester and a Remington. Biggest drawback to the M1917 is the lack of windage adjustment in the rear sight, getting the front sight "just right" can take some effort. Also the slight differences between the manufacturers inhibits parts interchangeability-my Winchester bayonet will not fit on my Remington.
In firing milsurps I have found using either milspec or commercial ammunition with the correct bullet weight makes for greater shooting enoyment.
Old April 30, 2015, 08:44 PM   #12
jrothWA

In 1973, borrowed my Dad's cousin, Win 1917...

and took in down to a match @ Camp Sherman, Ohio.
{ain't there anymore, was plowed under for new national park ]

ANy way, was signed in and walking down the ready line, when a "pot bellied" campaigned hatted gentleman barked at me: "let me see that 1917, son"!

He was recently retired Sargent and was taught in basic using the 17 rifle.

Showed me how to load, using the brass charger and NOT to push the rounds down, but to draw the thumb over the top round and ROLL the rounds into the magazine.

If was a fun match and learned a lot.

Enjoy it.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:17 AM   #13
RC20

I have several and to me they are the neatest of the mil surplus, though certainly others will disagree.

I got this front sight tool and it works very well. Considering the price and free shipping you would be hard pressed to make one for that cost (though some do and or modify other tools)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Enfield-P-19...3D251637531815

The US did arm the French with 1917s in WWII so its possible that was the source of those Vietnam finds. Chinese nationals in WWII got a lot as well so it could be either.

75% of the issue rifles in WWI were the 1917s, we hear about the Springfield's more but as it was name the national service arm after the War the 1917 got somewhat forgotten and lost in its place in history.

Wikipedia Does a good overall view

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1917_Enfield

200 or 300,000 to the Philipines prior to WWII (non came back, pictures of them burning piles of them after recapture, unknown, maybe climate made them useless).

Various issues to US forces including CBs, allies etc so it served in large numbers and as Culver noted, the need for rifles was great enough in WWII that RI, JA and High Standard all made replacement barrels (I have a JA)

Last edited by RC20; May 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old May 1, 2015, 01:59 PM   #14
Tom68

I have an Eddystone and it is my favorite mil-surp to shoot. Kicks less than my 03-A3, and much more accurate (around 2"-3" at 100 yards if I do my part). It probably would do even better if I would ever try to tailor a load for it. I did have one interesting situation with it, however... a blown primer in a Greek round from the CMP... so I save those for the Garand, and just use a light load of IMR-4895 and 147 gr FMJ.

There's one here in a pawn shop with a 1k price tag on it... has been there for many months, and that's after being marked down from $1400. They're nice, and not that common... but $1000 is mighty steep in my book!
Old May 1, 2015, 04:23 PM   #15
GeauxTide

Got a Remington 1917, also. I chrony'd some 172 grain mil ammo at 2877! Comfortable to shoot, too.
Old May 2, 2015, 01:20 PM   #16
RC20

this is a good read and I would recommend Ferris Book on the 1917

http://www.odcmp.org/503/rifle.pdf
Old May 14, 2015, 09:46 AM   #17
velocette

Here's a '17 Enfield rescued from Bubba:

Old May 14, 2015, 02:56 PM   #18
SIGSHR

The M1917 is far from underappreciated. I wince at all that were "sporterized" over the years, no problem with "low number" ones, biggest drawback is the difficulty in adjusting the front sight for windage.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:16 AM   #19
bravo2uniform

The 1917 Gets No Respect!

Quote:
Firearms that are older than me have a metaphysical appeal
Amen!

The 1917 takes me back home to Tennessee and the legend of one of my heroes, Alvin York. What a man, what a soldier!

This is a statue of Alvin York at the Tennessee state capitol. You'll notice he's shooting an '03...I'm telling you the 1917 gets no respect!

Old May 20, 2015, 10:00 PM   #20
RC20

Yep, this is pretty conclusive. You have to read down a bit in it but worth it.

http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...he-M1917/page4
Old May 20, 2015, 10:05 PM   #21
RC20

Quote:
Here's a '17 Enfield rescued from Bubba:
Maybe a shame to loose a good one but it sure is not a BUBBA.

Its beautifully done. If its going to be done that's the way to have it done

I have a 1903A3 Sporter, Smith Corona 6 grove that was put on a Remington receiver in Australia in WWII (barrel has the date and repair center stamped in it an its been authenticated)

How it got drilled and tapped and scoped I don't know but I have it now and its a beauty.

It would have been grand to be original but its my target shooter and at times I can drive 4/10 MOA out of it. If not for the conversion I would not have it so a mixed blessing but I will enjoy it forever.
Old May 21, 2015, 09:55 AM   #22
Unlicensed Dremel

Outstanding. Loves me some 1917s. IIRC, there is some dispute as to what extent York used a 1903 vs a 1917 and at which times/incidents.
Old May 22, 2015, 07:28 PM   #23
quick

I picked up an Eddystone a few weeks ago for $150. It's in rough shape, rear sight was ground down, crappy sporterize job, but hell of a rifle.

The guy I bought it from said it was 300 H&H, however in the pile of ammo that he gave me was some 300 Win mag. I called him and asked and he claimed to shoot both from it? This was news to me and I have yet to get it looked at? Any opinions?

FYI: I chambered both rounds and it closes and locks normal, no forcing.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:13 PM   #24
James K
Member In Memoriam

I don't know where they got them, but the U.S. did supply some Model 1917's to the South Vietnamese "village guards". Of course, the guns were as long as the VN were tall, but they worked and the idea was that if the rifles were "donated" to or captured by the VC it would be small loss.

But never underestimate the ignorance of the American press. One of our gallant and noble journalists, hearing about the old rifles, wrote a half-page article taking the U.S. Army to task for giving the "M17" to the Vietnamese while the Americans were having to use the old and unreliable M16! Come to think of it....

Jim
Old May 23, 2015, 08:51 AM   #25
K96771

So true about that front sight. When I first shot some 150 cmp it looked like a shotgun pattern. Then I tried 165 grain and it tightened up nice. I load them light with 42 grains oh H4895.