The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 20, 2013, 11:32 AM   #1
Nathan

Smart way to change powder or shot in Lee Load All

I'm getting started reloading shotshells with my Lee Load All. Looks like a pretty good setup, but how do I change powder or shot bushings without making a mess? Or, just dump powder back in it's container for storage?
Old January 20, 2013, 12:42 PM   #2
Ifishsum

If I'm not loading again within I week I would store powder back in the original container rather than in the load-all. It is a bit of a pain to be sure; I actually mounted mine to a piece of plywood and use clamps to hold it to the bench. Makes it easier to dump unused powder back - otherwise you have to scoop and/or cycle the charging lever until the hoppers are empty. Changing a bushing on a full hopper is a real mess - so before starting a new load, I load the hopper only 1/4-1/3 full with powder and verify the throws on my scale before adding shot and filling up the powder. Then I record the recipe including the bushing number so it's easier the next time.
Old January 20, 2013, 01:02 PM   #3
klyph3

I also use one bolted to a board, board clamped to bench. You can make a half lid by heating a piece of plastic sheet (like a milk jug) and forming it over one side to keep the shot/powder separate when you dump it.
Old January 20, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4
5R milspec

put a lage clean cup under it and pump away
Old January 20, 2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Pat T

When I used one I used to pry the handle slightly out off the studs that hold the loader to the base and slide it off. Then dump powder & shot into respective containers. Don't know if they are still made that way.
Old January 20, 2013, 05:35 PM   #6
GP100man

dismount & turn it all upside down .