The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 22, 2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Can the P95 withstand a Nuclear Blast?

If this isn't the toughest Polymer gun in the World, I like to see what is. Any owners out there care to chime in on this overbuilt Sledge Hammer. I want to purchase one in the near future. I'm wondering, how much Chamber Support does it have? Thanks for any feedback
Old April 22, 2013, 12:41 AM   #2
Mosin44az

Loved mine, 2500 rounds of U.S.-spec. ammo without a malfunction. OK, ONE, likely a dud round.

Don't know about chamber support, but unless you are going to try super handloads I wouldn't worry. Ruger says in the manual that NO U.S. spec. ammo is beyond the capability of the gun. I carried Cor-Bon +P in it for years without issue, and it was nice to shoot. It would be nice if they still sold the decocker-only version, I might get another...
Old April 22, 2013, 01:24 AM   #3

I had a chance to handle one for the first time in over ten years. I apparently didnt remember how stout and over built it Is. And yes, I was planning on shooting some +P+ thru it.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Fishbed77

Quote:
Can the P95 withstand a Nuclear Blast?
It might, but you won't, so it's a moot question.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:33 AM   #5
Dakotared

I had one and traded it away. I found it very easy to limp wrist and malfunction. I shot it fine but every one else shot it it was a jam-o-matic. My brother who spent time in Iraq had 13 out to 15 rounds jam up on him one time. My guess is that mine was not like most out there but I am much happier with what I have now, a full size steel witness.
Old April 22, 2013, 11:41 AM   #6
Hammerhead

My buddy bought a used one. Ugly, thick as a brick, shoots real well though, surprised me on how easy it was to shoot accurately. The DA trigger was very smooth, SA not so much, but it still shot well.
I don't like the tall, thin rear sight blade, but that's easily replaced.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:07 PM   #7
wbw

I'm with Fishbed on this one. The question should be 'Can you withstand a nuclear blast?' I expect that the gun would last longer than you.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:48 PM   #8
elDiabloLoco

Quote:
I found it very easy to limp wrist and malfunction. I shot it fine but every one else shot it it was a jam-o-matic. My brother who spent time in Iraq had 13 out to 15 rounds jam up on him one time. My guess is that mine was not like most out there but I am much happier with what I have now, a full size steel witness.
I'm fairly small sized, and had trouble with my P95 with the first box. Thought it was limp wristing. But after re-cleaning and lubing, it has gone through about 12 boxes of mixed target ammo and about 80 HP without a single problem since. Very reliable, and more accurate than I can hold. Cycles mags loaded with different ammo in random order.

Slipped a Hogue hand-all over it. That makes it even fatter, but it is much easier to hold with the grip than without it, even with small hands.

Great fun to shoot, love the DA/SA trigger on it. Great value.

The only con I have on it is that my thumb is not long enough to reach the slide release.

Might not survive nukes, but probably outlives the cockroaches.
Old April 22, 2013, 12:51 PM   #9
Tom Servo
Staff

Literally, no.
Old April 22, 2013, 02:03 PM   #10
sfmedic

depends - how many KT are we talking and how far away will you be?

why are you interested in knowing? you on a greenlight team?
Old April 22, 2013, 03:40 PM   #11
pete2

Used to have one. At the time it was the only semi I've ever owned that never malfunctioned -- ever. Come to think of it, it's the only semi I've ever owned that didn't malfunction. I didn't like to shoot it and it's way to large for daily carry so I don't have it any more. Mine was the decocker version, wish my 92FS was a decocker only.
Old April 22, 2013, 03:57 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

Anyone mind if we not test this?

Jim
Old April 22, 2013, 03:57 PM   #13
shouldazagged

Quote:
Might not survive nukes, but probably outlives the cockroaches.
My guess is the cockroaches will survive nukes. Them, the possum, and that damn little computer-generated gecko. And maybe Flo. And a few crooked lobbyists.
Old April 22, 2013, 06:25 PM   #14

Thanks for the feedback. Any current owners out their that could slide a snap cap in and let us know about chamber support? P.S. What's a green light Team? I'm guessing its not Traffic Related
Old April 22, 2013, 07:10 PM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
I think we have a winner!
Old April 22, 2013, 07:27 PM   #16
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Says you. I've seen the Road Warrior. I'm totally going to be a bandit, roaming the postapocalyptic wasteland of Australia with Mel Gibson and armed with a Ruger P95. It'll be just like Thunderdome, but with Flo at my side instead of Tina Turner.
Old April 22, 2013, 07:38 PM   #17
SPEMack618

You see Tom, while you roam about with your P-95, you won't have any ammo for it because you used it previously trying to hijack an oil tanker full of children or something.

In more serious news, as a P-95 owner, I will attempt to guage chamber support tomorrow before work.

I've shot plenty of various 9mm loads through mine, and a lot of Wolf junk too, and never had the first problem.

The P-95 was my first centerfire pisol, so it will always hold a special place in my heart.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:10 AM   #18
SIMP

Love my P95. Ugly, heavy, built to last and never fails.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:41 PM   #19

6.8, Ruger gives complete casehead support in all of their autoloading pistols. The P-95 probably won't be a round too much longer and if I were you, I'd take a hard look at the SR9. It's extremely well built with more slide/frame engagement than any other polymer frame/striker fired pistol. Very comparable to the P-95, IMO, except that the rails midway and at the rear of the pistol are stainless steel. The newer models have an improved trigger mechanism that came from the SR9c. I've had mine for about a month and it came directly from Ruger as a replacement for my used P-89, so I did have to buy the SR9 from them, but it's very recent production. My brother has a P-95 and there are a number of areas where the SR9 is a better pistol, IMO. It's the thinnest double-stack 9mm on the market and I can conceal mine without the need to go to the SR9c. It's thinness gives up nothing in terms of strength and it's fully adjustable sights are the best I've ever seen on a factory autopistol.
Old April 24, 2013, 09:49 PM   #20
Leejack

Ruger has the well earned "built like a tank" reputation.

Some of my favorites are Rugers. Having said that, the old P series tanks were a bit on the ergonomically challenged side, but they do perform.

Had a P90 and loved it, it was the Aircraft carrier of the old P series fleet.
Old April 24, 2013, 10:47 PM   #21
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Having said that, the old P series tanks were a bit on the ergonomically challenged side, but they do perform.
That they do. Their price makes for a great entry-level pistol, and it's a good one for folks who don't maintain their equipment. I've done a few classes for armored car guys, and I've seen guns so neglected I had to literally cut them out of the holster. It's a good thing the P-series is an almost universal choice for them

Quote:
You see Tom, while you roam about with your P-95, you won't have any ammo for it because you used it previously trying to hijack an oil tanker full of children or something.
Seriously, man. Can't we all just get beyond Thunderdome?
Old April 24, 2013, 11:44 PM   #22

Thanks for the feedback on case support. I'm sure the new Ruger
SR series guns are an improvement. They must have learned a thing or two in 15 years. I know I'm in the minority here, but I like the Looks of the P95 Does mec-gar make a 17rd flush fit mag for it?
Old April 25, 2013, 12:18 AM   #23
Laz

I like the looks of the P95 also, always have. It has a "bulldog pug" look about it. Not at all svelte but very pugnacious. It's dimensions are deceptive and it looks chunkier than it really is.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:23 AM   #24
kflo01

I used to own one and its built like a tank. Loved that gun and the sound it made racking the slide. Would get another one at the right price. Only reason I got rid of it was because it was kind of hard for me to reach the docket with my thumb without readjusting my grip. Otherwise it would have been my daily carry 9mm. I sold it on gunbroker and ended up getting a SP2022 in 9mm which I am equally happy with.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #25
kflo01

Another thing I dont know its just me but I think the gun looks smart. I had the two-toned verison and loved it. Also it actually is more accurate than my SP2022