The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 1, 2009, 10:38 AM   #26
BLS700

You should have laughed in that guys face for expecting you to pay to help him out. As far as the hog thing, it isn't a big deal in PA YET. However, they won't let us hunt them because there is an "organized" effort to eliminate them. So put another way people are being paid to hunt hogs that hunters (like myself) would love a chance to hunt. I would call that a huge load of crap!
Old June 1, 2009, 04:29 PM   #27
the_law_man01

Hog problem

Kansas is beginning to have a large hog problem along large creek and river valleys in southeast to southcentral regions. The state in all their wisdom decided to make it illegal for John Q. Citizen to hunt them. If you are a landowner, you can shoot and leave lying. If you are not a landowner, you must be licensed by the FDA before being allowed to harvest the hogs. And, even at that point, you must shoot and leave lying (if I remember correctly).

Its ridiculous! If you want to get rid of the hog problem, why don't you allow hunters to bag them...unregulated?

In my opinion, hog hunting has become very popular in Arkansas and Texas; its quickly becoming popular in northeast Oklahoma. Its clear to anyone who knows the state of Kansas that legislators are holding out for a large enough hog population to regulate a season. Hunting is ALL about $$$ in Kansas.

These people are making me sick!:barf:
Old June 5, 2009, 11:20 PM   #28
Fat White Boy

I think hunters in California and Texas who are paying to hunt hogs should stop hunting them for a couple of years. Let's see what the landowners say when the wild hog population triples or quadruples and their livestock is starving and their field crops look like a disc went thru 'em every night...
Old June 7, 2009, 10:02 PM   #29
Warhammer

Quote:
I think hunters in California and Texas who are paying to hunt hogs should stop hunting them for a couple of years. Let's see what the landowners say when the wild hog population triples or quadruples and their livestock is starving and their field crops look like a disc went thru 'em every night...
I agree! The fees that these "game ranches" are charging to hunt feral pigs are just ridiculous. It is total asshattery to pay that kind of money to shoot what is essentially escaped livestock. There are places around here charging $200 per day (2-day minimum AND 2-hunter minimum), plus a per pig fee, plus a "trophy fee" if the pig is bigger than say 200 pounds, plus a field dressing fee (and no, you can't field dress it yourself!), and I've even heard of folks being charged a "cooler fee"!

I could understand charging a nominal fee (say $50-$75) just to keep some of the more rambunctious types away, or even taking a security deposit to make sure some jerks don't tear up your land. But when I hear tell of a couple of hunters dropping upwards of $1000 for the honor of performing pest control on someone else's land, and I'm reminded of Huck Finn tricking the neighborhood kids into painting the fence for him. I guess it's like old PT Barnum said, "there's a sucker born every minute!"

Last edited by Warhammer; June 7, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old June 8, 2009, 06:44 PM   #30
fisherman66

Quote:
But when I hear tell of a couple of hunters dropping upwards of $1000 for the honor of performing pest control on someone else's land, and I'm reminded of Huck Finn tricking the neighborhood kids into painting the fence for him.
Yes, instead bring them a rat on a string to swing.
Old June 8, 2009, 07:40 PM   #31
surg_res

Quote:
If Texas didn't want the hogs, they'd allow access to people who wanted to shoot them, and wouldn't charge for the access. As it stands, they want the hogs, because they want the money that hog hunting generates.
Not quite... Hogs are a real problem here, but not much worse than a bunch of "free" hunters turned loose on your property (i.e. drunk rednecks). There are plenty of free opportunities--by association mostly--it just isn't advertised for obvious reasons. The pigs generate a fortune of damage, and hunters don't actually solve the problem well here, mostly because the problem is so big.

Slaughter plants will take live trapped pigs, but not dead ones. For folks with big problems, this is the way to profit.

We have wild pigs up at our family farm, and I wouldn't let anyone that I didn't know just wander up there with a rifle. If they offered to pay, I'd justify that it is income, and that paying customers tend to be a bit cleaner cut than non-paying customers ...