The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 29, 2005, 09:46 AM   #1
alan3299

Tight reloads

I have reloaded pistol rounds in the past with no problems. I have now decided to try rifle rounds. I followed the rules the best I could in reloading 270 and 30-06 rounds. The look good and are the proper length in case length and loaded length. In putting the shell in the chamber, it seems tight and when lowering the bolt handle, it seems that it is forcing the round into a tight spot. I am wondering where I went wrong or is this to be expected? I have a Ruger Nr. 1 in 30-06 and it is not wanting to accept the round. Thanx in advance for any information given.
Old September 29, 2005, 10:04 AM   #2
918v

You need to readjust your FL sizer die so that the shoulder is pushed back .001" to .003" more.
Old September 29, 2005, 10:24 AM   #3
zeisloft

Very true, but also also check case length
~z

Obviously, Occam was not a reloader
Old September 29, 2005, 10:25 AM   #4
LHB1

Alan,
Either 1) the case shoulder is hitting front of chamber or 2) the bullet is being pushed into rifling when seating reloaded round.

1) Are you using brass fired in another gun? Are you using full length sizing die or neck sizing die? Try chambering empty RESIZED case. If you feel the binding, you need to push the shoulder back slightly more using full length sizing die. Lower the sizing die by 1 full turn and try again. Repeat if nec but DON'T push the shoulder back any further than required. Doing so is creating excessive headspace with your reloads.

2) If the empty resized case chambers freely but the binding continues, chamber and remove a dummy round (no primer or powder) with bullet seated. Check to see if rifling marks appear on the bullet ogive. If so, adjust the seater die stem 1 full turn to seat the bullet deeper and try again. Repeat until bullet just fails to touch rifling. Suggest not seating any deeper than this. Since you are using a Ruger No. 1 there is no magazine to be concerned with re fit of loaded round.

I used Ruger No 1's for many years with no problems but the dropping block action doesn't have the camming power of a bolt action rifle. You do need to be sure the case shoulder is pushed back far enough to allow rounds to chamber correctly.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB
Old September 30, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Toney

Sometimes it takes alot of force , enough to make you think you are going to brake something. Look between she shell holder and die everytime to make sure they have touched . Then they should chamber .Or you could have a very tight chamber . You might try chambering a brass before you seat a bullet . The only disadvantage of tight chambering is a fast follow up shot . does'nt matter how hard the first round is just make sure the second round will chamber easy.
Old September 30, 2005, 01:01 PM   #6
Harley Quinn

They grow

When you are just starting out some of the simplest stuff goes awry.

Good information, so try what they say. Fireforming and just doing the neck used to be the way for years. Makes for a tight fit. Check length after you have resized and before you put any thing in the case. No primer, no nada.

Remove the sizing lub don't get any in the chamber, make sure you are using enough lube to resize. But not to much, you will see why if you do.

Have someone show you hands on. Go to a gun shop and ask.

Harley