The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 12, 2000, 11:43 PM   #1
WinMag

I just picked up my new Guide Gun yesterday. I purchased some Buffalo Bore Ammunition in order to sight my prized rifle in. Ammunition specifics are as follows: 430gr. L.B.T.-L.F.N.-G.C. (1925fps)(hard cast bullet). The warning posted on the ammunition is as follows: "45-70 Magnum ammunition is intended for use in and is safe for use in only the following firearms: Browning Mod. 1885 and 1886, Marlin Mod. 1895 manufactured since 1972, Rugers #1 and #3, new production Winchester 1886, and Shiloh Sharps rifles".

I fired 8 shots through my new rifle and went home to clean it, when I noticed a small crack in the top of my stock where the receiver screws into it. Is this normal? or should I not be using this kind of ammo?

I also found out that I cant raise my rear sight up enough to be on target at 50yds. I am still about 3 inches low.

I hope I can get my stock fixed (even though its a small crack, I can't stand knowing its there).

Thanks for your help,
WinMag
Old March 13, 2000, 08:10 AM   #2
Judge Blackhawk

Winmag, I know what you mean about cracks in the stock, just knowing they are there can drive you absolutely crazy.

The place were you bought your gun should be able to help you get a new stock. Most reputable gun dealers, and most are, will go out of their way to help a client.

Also, I would call Marlin. Those people at Marlin are the nicest you will ever talk too, except maybe for Sturm, Ruger and Co. When I was buying my 1895SS in 45-70 I wanted to make sure the gun I purchased was the Ballard rifling not the micro-groved. So I call Marlin and the young lady told me to look for *** on the gun, well my gun dealer could not find any *** so, I had to call her back, she asked me to get the serial number, so I had to calll my gun dealer and he told me the ending series. The young lady told me the date of manufacture of the rifle and that it indeed had ballard rifling.

Needless to say this phone tag went back and forth for a while but she pleasant and most helpful. She even sent me a catalog and a Marlin patch. I know that is not a lot but it is more than I can say for some other firearm companies.

If the gun was brand new there should be a warranty on it and I know that Marlin will stand behind their product. They have been standing behind them for over a 100 years.

Judge Blackhawk
Old March 13, 2000, 03:32 PM   #3
WinMag

Judge,

Thanks, I called Marlin this morning and they are going to send me a brand new stock. I just hope nothing internal is ruined also. Everything seems to look fine inside, however I did find a metal filing when I was cleaning it. The Buffalo Bore (ammo people) say that thats not uncommon for a brand new gun. I just hope he's right. He also said that the ammo has 40,000cps, and I cant seem to find a reputable source to let me know how much my new rifle can take.

WinMag
Old March 13, 2000, 07:48 PM   #4
Trigger Jerk

WinMag,

If you glas bed the stock where it meets the tang, you will have even contact on the metal to wood fit. The recoil will be distributed evenly, and I doubt that you would ever have to worry about a split stock again.

Whe you think about it, under heavy recoil, the metal tang acts like a dull axe, trying to split a peice of wood that is already started for it.
Old March 13, 2000, 10:13 PM   #5
WinMag

Trigger,

Thanks, thats a good idea. I will do just that when my new stock gets in. My biggest concern was damaging my receiver or the internal components with the heavily loaded Buffalo Bore Ammunition.

WinMag
Old March 14, 2000, 07:20 PM   #6
Trigger Jerk

To be honest, I have to give credit to my late freind and lifetime gunsmith, Charlie Price. He insisted that he do that to my Ruger No 1 in 45-70 when I bought it several years ago. I never had a problem with the stock and I worked some loads up to near .458 Win mag velocities. Normally, I'm not sensitive to recoil, but I can honestly say those loads turned me into a "sensitive guy" real quick.