The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 17, 2010, 12:59 PM   #26
BitterTait

When I was younger I found a box of .22 ammo in my basement. It was old (no UPC code) and I don't remember the brand, and when fired would consistently take 3-4 seconds to fire after pulling the trigger. My thought then was "Cool, this'll help me practice keeping the rifle steady, how's that for a surprise break"

Of course, now I know that in addition to being dangerous (I was damn lucky none of the complete duds went off after the 30-count) and that the antique ammo probably had some collector value. Live, learn and remember to teach the hypothetical descendents your mistakes.
Old June 17, 2010, 01:06 PM   #27
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
I had a whole bunch of them with some surplus .303 British ammo in a No. 4 Mk. I Lee Enfield. These, however, didn't give much delay between the striker falling and going off, about like firing a flintlock.

Precisely my experience. Pakistani .303 British, to be precise. Every 12th round or so, CLICK . . . BANG!
I didn't know where the ammo came from, but it was probably the same Pakistani stuff. I distinctly remember it coming in very light greenish color 32-round boxes.
Old June 17, 2010, 02:12 PM   #28
HeroHog

I have experienced quite a few with surplus 8mm and .303 ammo. They ranged from hearing the "click" of the pin striking the primer followed VERY closely by the boom of the round going off but you COULD hear the delay between the click and the boom. Other rounds hung for several seconds. The longest I have personally experienced was around 5 seconds delayed.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.

Last edited by HeroHog; June 17, 2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: my speeling sax
Old June 18, 2010, 05:46 AM   #29
droidw

I have experienced several misfires from rimfire ammo (.22). Re-strike usually solved the problem.

But one day, not long ago, with a friend at the range, we were shooting our .308 rifles. We usually watch each other during strings of shots, to provide some feedback.

Ammo was Santa Barbara (General Dynamics) current military ammo, 42 grains of powder and 142 grain FMJ bullet.

He operated the trigger and nothing happened. We looked at each other. I told him to wait at least one minute, as he was saying that he was going to wait for a while. He stood up from prone (the rifle was on the bipod, pointed downrange), and then BLAM!, it went off.

We stopped shooting that day.

Greetings.
Old June 23, 2010, 07:28 PM   #30
Stevie-Ray

I was firing my AMT Govt. model with UZI ammo, as Israel Military Industries made the stoutest 230 gr ball, and it was suggested I use some hot stuff to "break the gun in." As if that was going to work. I had fired 2 rounds from a mag and the third went click. I kept holding it pointed downrange and was actually about to eject the round when it went off. Scared the crap out of me. I estimate about 5 seconds. I learned that day why I had always been told to wait 10. Strange, but I had forgotten about that for a lot of years, but it's probably because I had wanted to forget everything about that firearm, as much as possible.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:43 PM   #31
chris in va

I experienced a few with some 'subgun' 7.62x25 in my CZ 52. Click...bang. Kinda interesting really.
Old June 24, 2010, 10:02 AM   #32
MTT TL

I adjusted the trigger on my .45s to see how heavy I could make the pull. I fired a round and got a light primer strike that resulted in a delayed detonation of about half a second. Do not recall the ammo.
Old June 24, 2010, 10:46 AM   #33
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, old military ammo.

A few with some VERY old US commercial ammo made, I estimate, between 1870 and 1900 or thereabouts, .56-56 Spencer carbine.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 25, 2010, 06:00 PM   #34
FM12

Had a cold run (igniter that I improperly installed didnt actuate) on a Mark 14 practice torpedo once, does that count? Had lots of egg on my face after that.
Old June 25, 2010, 11:08 PM   #35
Xfire68

I have had it happen to me. I just started reloading back in 1992 and I went and tried something that I more then likely should not have. I loaded up (Can't remember it all) a 110g FMJ in 30.06 and I am not sure how much powder I used it was H414 but when I pulled the trigger it took about 2 seconds for the round to go off. My dumb self went and shot another one and the same thing happened! I pulled the rest of the loads I made.
Old July 4, 2010, 08:20 PM   #36
Avenger

Once, with some Hungarian 7.62x54r...pulled the trigger and there was a peculiar *TING* from the bolt. I had enough time to mutter, "Ah, crud..." thinking that the firing spring or pin broke, and then it went off. It did NOT sound like the firing pin had hit ANYTHING.
Old July 5, 2010, 02:50 AM   #37
BobR

Years ago there was some silver tip russian 7.62 x 54 out of factory 188 (I believe) that was infamous for hangfires. There were enough click...........booms in the can that I took down all of the ammo except for about 25 rounds and kept the bullets, threw the powder on the grass and WD40'd the cases before tossing them.

That was the only surplus ammo I have ever had a problem with.

bob
Old July 5, 2010, 03:01 AM   #38
HeroHog

I bought a case of "loose" 8mm from Cheaper Than Dirt that looked like it had been shoveled out of a ships bilge! :barf: It was FILTHY and rusty/corroded beyond belief! We tumbled a batch of it to see if we could salvage any after CTD told us to "get bent" when we demanded a refund. Of the ones that we were brave enough to actually chamber, about ½ went off... eventually. The rest were duds. Threw better than half away. Mixed in there were several other odd calibers that ya had to look out for as well!

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old July 10, 2010, 02:07 AM   #39
Zudd

I had one round of 7.62x39 hang out of an SAR-1 I used to have. <CLICK>.....bang. Freaked me out. It was old crappy ammo I got from a friend. I didn't shoot any more of it after that.
Old July 10, 2010, 03:24 AM   #40
gyvel

Yep, and always with old military surplus ammo. Fortunately, the longest was only about 1 second.
Old July 10, 2010, 10:46 AM   #41
KMG5402

"I pulled the trigger and heard a pop." -claymore1500

So the popping of the primer is something you'll always hear with a hangfire? Never experienced one.
Old July 10, 2010, 01:12 PM   #42
brickeyee

The only one I recall is some .50-70 government ammunition that was at least 100 years old.

Of ten rounds, three never did go off, 3-4 had noticeably delayed ignition (one about 3 seconds) and the rest worked fine.
Old July 10, 2010, 02:05 PM   #43
SamW

I had a Remington UMC .45 Auto round take about five seconds. It was the first round I put in the magazine. I thought maybe because I cleaned it, maybe I put it back together wrong.

I waited for safety, and right when I exhaled from nervousness it went off! The round was messed up when it did fire. The round didn't seem like it had the correct powder amount because it wasn't louder than of .45 Auto's. The shell casing was split right down the side.

I disassembled and examined my firearm, and everything was in order. I fired the other rounds in that box and didn't have a problem.

I've fire countless rounds (10K+), and I've never had any problems with the exception of this one.
Old July 11, 2010, 08:17 AM   #44
jglsprings

Not one, ever, in 38 years of shooting.

I also don't use surplus ammo.

Commas save lives...
Old July 11, 2010, 09:12 AM   #45
DT Guy

Only with some old, suspect 7.62x25 ammo in a CZ52.

Certainly not enjoyable in any way-discontinued after the second instance of it in about 20 rounds, and threw the rest away.

Checking the brass afterward, we found about half had serious splits in the case neck.

The whole concept of a handfire is pretty scary, if you consider that for something like that to occur, the propellant has to be breaking down in some unpredictable way.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old July 11, 2010, 12:34 PM   #46
Catfishman

These stories are kind of scary.

I had a Federal .308 that was a dud with two heavy strikes last year. I was busy shooting a muskrat so I reloaded after a 3 or 4 seconds. How long should I have waited.

What is the longest hangfire anyone has experienced first hand?