The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 19, 2014, 02:55 PM   #1
BombthePeasants

data for one bullet, but not another...

Dear Sirs/Madams/Transgendered Austrian Eurovision Singers,

I have recently entered into a new caliber to load, the 9mm Luger (or Parabellum as I prefer). My only pistol caliber at this point is .45Auto (as God intended [A JOKE!]), so I'm quite familiar with the procedure, and have found my favorite bullet/powder combination. Seeing as how I now own a large amount of Winchester Super Field for said .45 loads, and seeing as how I really love to use hard cast lead bullets, I went ahead and bought 1000 125gr. lead RN bullets to use. However, I find that both in my Lee 2nd Edition, and the Hodgdon online Reloading Data Center, they don't list WSF data for this bullet weight. However, they DO list it for the 124gr. Lead RN...My question is this:

Is this a product of there being many, many powders to choose from, that they omit certain powders from certain bullet weights? Also, were you in my position, would you not simply start at the bottom end of the 124gr. bullet data, and go from there? I cannot imagine a 1 grain difference being a deal-killer. Would you?
Old May 19, 2014, 03:23 PM   #2
WESHOOT2

load on

First I would confirm the actual weight of the bullets in hand.
Then I would use WSF data for the 124g as listed.
1g will not matter whatsoever.
Old May 19, 2014, 03:36 PM   #3
steve4102

Also, Lee data is the same as Hodgdon data, Lee borrows their data from the powder guys, repackages it and sells it. It is also quite old.
Old May 19, 2014, 03:59 PM   #4
Jim243

Quote:
Then I would use WSF data for the 124g as listed.
This is correct, BUT soft lead and hard cast lead bullets go down the tube faster than jacketed bullets. (More friction on copper jacketed bullets)

SO - start at the min load for jacketed bullets and do not exceed mid-range load data unless you check each load for pressure signs.

Jim
Old May 20, 2014, 06:02 PM   #5
PA-Joe

Powder makers cannot buy every bullet and run tests on them. They pick the most common ones. That is why you see 124 gr and not 125 gr.
Old May 20, 2014, 06:11 PM   #6
Jim Watson

Brand to brand and a grain or two weight difference is the point of the boring fine print in the manuals about "starting loads" and "working up." Don't just look at the numbers, try to get some idea of procedures and logic. Not to say common sense, because this really is rocket science, or as close as most of us are likely to get.