The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 24, 2002, 09:42 AM   #1
Bottom Gun

Need help finding scope caps for Leupold 3-9x40

Can anyone tell me where I can find some scope lens caps? I bought a Leupold scope and was dismayed to discover there were no lens caps with it. Thinking it was an oversight, I contacted Leupold and was told:

"Leupold has opted to not provide the lens covers due to all of the different available covers. Some of our customers prefer the Butler Creek flip covers and some prefer the bikini cover. If we provide one, we would have to provide the other. And rather than charge the extra cost of the lens covers in the base price, we would prefer the customer to purchase their preference
of lens covers."

A response like this didn't please me at all. Especially since every scope, even inexpensive ones, I've purchased in the past has had some kind of cover.

Since I don't really care for either the flip up type or the bikini cover, I've been searching for some plain old scope caps like the type supplied with most scopes. I haven't been able to locate any.

This scope is a 3-9x40.
Can anyone tell me where I can locate a set?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken
Old September 24, 2002, 10:17 AM   #2
Gary H

Funny you ask

I just received the same scope from swfa for my wife's Ruger. We purchased Butler Creek Flip-Open scope covers #11 & 26. Also, purchased the Leopold ARD, to further reduce any glare.

Might also pick-up a scope lapping kit. Lots of folks have these things...Midway, Natchez, Brownells. Scope mounts are rarely perfectly aligned and you don't want to torque your new scope. Scope lapping takes ten minutes and only needs to be done upon initial install.

Oops, just read your last paragraph. Don't like flip-ups and has many other scopes. So, first paragraph not helpful and second not useful, because you are well experienced with regards to scope installation...sorry..Scope did come with very nice cloth.

Good Luck
Old September 24, 2002, 11:20 AM   #3
Dave P

What's-a matter? You spend hundreds $$ for a good scope, and whata you got?

I splurge on the $4 bikini covers for mine.
Old September 24, 2002, 08:37 PM   #4
nemesis

I second the flip-up Butler Creek units.
Old September 24, 2002, 09:54 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

While mail order or internet is cheaper, I prefer to buy lens covers at a local gunshop. Why? You can fit it right there and make sure it fits right the first time. Mfg tolerances can vary and if it's too big, it'll fall off. If it's too small, it's tough to keep it on.
Old September 25, 2002, 08:42 AM   #6
Bottom Gun

Thanks for the help but. . . . . . . . .

I appreciate the responses, Guys, but it's not a question of going to a gun shop and trying them on, it's a question of FINDING something other than the flip up or the bikini covers. No one seems to have anything but these.

FWIW, I have one of each of the above and I don't like either one of them. Just my personal preference.

I'm looking for something on the order of the old Butler Creek QD covers, which are simply two disks connected by a rubber strap but I can't turn any up.

Can anyone tell me who is selling these Butler Creek QD covers?