Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 26, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
Lonestar06

Opinion on suppressors

I need some honest opinions of the following suppressors:

Surefire
AAC
Wilson Combat

I have a 6.8SPC AR on order. I have zero experience with suppressors. I am interested in quality and performance, please leave cost out of the equation. I know there are many other suppressors out there, but after a lot of reading on several forums, two of the above are widely used and one is a new comer.

Thanks for any info
Old February 26, 2012, 09:08 PM   #2
Herr Walther

Brügger & Thomet and Gemtec are two fine manufacturers.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old February 27, 2012, 01:56 PM   #3
SR420

Lonestar, I have fired rounds through the 1st two you have listed and they worked well, but I spent my money on a Wind Talker M14DC 0.30 Caliber Sound Suppressor, NSN 1005-LLL-997965 from Smith Enterprise, Inc. and use it on my 5.56mm AR, my 7.62 x 39 AKM and my 7.62 NATO M14s.
Old February 27, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Poodleshooter

AAC alone makes at least 2-3 different models of 7.62 suppressors. You may want to narrow your question down to the types you're looking at.
Old February 27, 2012, 04:30 PM   #5
SR420

You also need to decide how you want the can to attach -- thread directly to the
barrel or quick connect to a brake, comp or flash hider that is attached to the barrel
Old February 27, 2012, 07:22 PM   #6
David Hineline

Surfire, the most money you can spend per db of sound reduction or possibly Knight's.

AAC great products worth waiting for, not sure what direction Remington plans to take the company.
Old February 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #7
Lonestar06

SR420,

The AR is a Wilson Combat 6.8SPC and it comes with a threaded barrel and a Accu-Tac Flash hider. The Accu-Tac can be removed and a muzzle break attached. Even though I am a Wilson fan, I am looking at other manufacturers of suppressors other than Wilson. I was in hopes of finding someone that had experience with the Wilson suppressor. The AAC and the Surefire are popular in this area, and that is not to say I would not be open to other brands.

I am interested in the AAC M4-2000 or the Surefire FA68K, and any info on the Wilson available.
Old March 1, 2012, 12:27 AM   #8
David Hineline

Just give up a bit of size and bump it up to a 30 cal silencer, you will be able to use it on many more weapons.
Old March 1, 2012, 04:11 PM   #9
thesheepdog

YHM!

I have one of theirs on the way!
Old March 1, 2012, 11:05 PM   #10
Charles S

Not to hijack this thread, but I have followed it with great interest. thesheepdog, why the YHM? Please elaborate. I have looked hard at it and have narrowed my choice down to YMH SS vs. the AAC M4-2000, but cannot find any reason to choose one over the other.
Old March 1, 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
thesheepdog

The YHM are built like tanks. The use top notch materials and have attention to detail.
I spoke to many representatives from AAC, YHM, GemTech and ultimately the difference between these companies is prices, and mounting options.
AAC uses circumferential welds and so does GemTech and YHM. AAC uses inconel on their blast baffle and so does YHM and GemTech.
Their decibel ratings are all about the same and all are tested to military specifications for decibel reduction and full auto capability.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:01 AM   #12
SR420

Quote:
Lonestar06 SR420,

The AR is a Wilson Combat 6.8SPC and it comes with a threaded barrel and a Accu-Tac Flash hider. The Accu-Tac can be removed and a muzzle break attached. Even though I am a Wilson fan, I am looking at other manufacturers of suppressors other than Wilson. I was in hopes of finding someone that had experience with the Wilson suppressor. The AAC and the Surefire are popular in this area, and that is not to say I would not be open to other brands.
As previously mentioned, I went with SEI's .30 caliber Windtalker.
It's built for battlefield conditions and it's easily rebuild-able.

Old March 2, 2012, 12:12 PM   #13
Charles S

SR420, that looks very nice, I like it. The website does not list a MSRP.

How much should I expect to pay if I go that route?
Old March 2, 2012, 01:16 PM   #14
SR420

Contact SEI for the exact price, but I think you can expect to spend $1K.
Old March 2, 2012, 05:11 PM   #15
Lonestar06

Anyone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area looking to make similar decisions about Suppressors might want to check this out.

http://www.silencersarelegal.com/legalshoot/
Old March 2, 2012, 05:37 PM   #16
thesheepdog

Quote:
Anyone in the Dallas/Ft Worth area looking to make similar decisions about Suppressors might want to check this out.

http://www.silencersarelegal.com/legalshoot/
Too bad my suppressor won't be on my gun by then...thanks...now I am depressed....