The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 11, 2007, 08:00 PM   #1
Buzzcook

When is excess just too excessive?

I understand that the larger an objective lens a scope has the better its light gather capability. That's pretty darn important for dusk and dawn hunting.

But isn't 72mm a bit much?

http://www.opticsplanet.net/zeiss-vi...opes-30mm.html

Its just that 72mm is just way way more than excessive. Couple that with the 6x24 magnification and its a scope for low light at pretty extreme distances.
How many people wake up before dawn and set up to knock down an elk at 600yds?

Not that I wouldn't want to have this scope btw and I want a Ferrari too .
Old December 11, 2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Bitmap

I believe in some countries in Europe it is legal to hunt at night by the light of the moon - no spotlights, just moonlight. For that purpose a 72mm objective might be just what the Dr. ordered.

In the US where hunting, except for wild pigs, is not allowed at night, I think it would be too big and heavy for me.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:11 PM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

Unless you only intend to hunt in the first 30 minutes of light in the morning, and the last 30 minutes of light in the evening, I think it would be a little much. The bigger the diameter of the scope, the more light it gathers, and I would be surprised if you could see anything, but white-out during the day with a 72MM.

I had a 50MM a couple of years ago, and got rid of it, because of the white-out problem in the middle of the day.

A 32MM is plenty big enough here in Oklahoma during deer season.
Old December 11, 2007, 09:28 PM   #4
OSUCowboy

How much more accurately could somebody shoot with this scope than with a $300 Bushnell 40mm?

As far as I'm concerned, any scope that costs 3,400 dollars is excessive unless you're a SEAL sniper taking head-shots at 1,200 yards with a .50

"I'd rather have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun"
-Frank "Pistol Pete" Eaton
Old December 13, 2007, 03:06 AM   #5
bclark1

Yeah I find in legal shooting light - which I feel like could be safely extended a half hour in either direction - a moderate 40mm is plenty bright (I use a Burris).
Sure wish we had those European hours. I go 10 hours without seeing a deer and then there are a dozen of 'em 100 yards off my porch by 1800. I'd shell out for that 72mm were that the case.
Old December 13, 2007, 03:50 AM   #6
taylorce1

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think AK has any restrictions on hunting hours. I hunted up there in May but with only about 4 hours of night, I used that time to sleep. I just don't remember anything about their being light restrictions for hunting.

Bigger objectives do gather more light but I've found that quality glass does as well. I've got some pretty small objective lens scopes less than 40mm that do an excellent job in low light. The better the glass the better you will see IMO.
Old December 13, 2007, 10:07 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

Well, if it was $3,565.00, I wouldn't be interested...BUT, since they priced it at $3,464.99, well that's a different story - may have to get one! I agree - hunting hogs by moonlight - in this state, there's no prohibition on hunting hogs at night, provided that you're not on public land, but there IS a prohibition against using a light at night, IIRC, even for hogs. So strapping a spotting scope with a reticle on might make sense. That is pretty much the ultimate benchrest gun scope for say, 1,000 yard matches as well.
Old December 14, 2007, 12:57 AM   #8
aaalaska

Alaska hunting season starts 12:01 am the first day and runs till 12 midnight the last day. The use of lights is prohibited.But I am not up for any more weight than needed.