The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 8, 2004, 11:29 AM   #1
Dean C

Out of Round

My son and I recently purchased two Ruger M77's chambered for .270 WIN. Fired them for the first time yesterday. (WOW SWEEEEET) When I examined the neck of the spent shell, I noticed that one of the rifles left the neck with a flattened area while the other left the neck near perfectly round. First question: Is that normal? Second question: Will that effect accuracy?
dean
Old August 8, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

I'd strongly suspect the case neck was being dented when it was extracted and ejected. This is fairly common.

Shoot the rifle again, carefully open the bolt, and remove the casing by hand before it can fully extract on it's own.

If the case head is still out of round, have it looked at by a gunsmith, or contact Ruger.
Old August 15, 2004, 09:57 PM   #3
Dean C

Dfariswheel,
As usual, you are correct. My mentor! Took a couple out slowly, round. Took a couple out with normal action, small flat spot.

Oh, "by the way" (I don't use TLA's) it was my son's rifle and he shoot's about a 3" pattern at 100 yd. off hand. (He's good).

thanks again Dfariswheel,
dean