The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 18, 1999, 10:28 AM   #1
Bennett Richards

Just wondering what might be the best reasonably-priced pump 12 Ga. shotgun for defense... reliable and well built...

Need advise...

Thank,

Ben
Old September 18, 1999, 11:15 AM   #2
Woody

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

Both are well built guns and reasonably priced. I prefer the 870 because they have a steel receiver, and an aluminum trigger group. The mossberg has an aluminum receiver and a plastic trigger group, unless you buy the military madel 590, which has an aluminum trigger group.
1)magazine extensions easier on the Rem. mossberg is five rounds unless you replace the mag. tube, Rem is four rounds with easily added ie. screw on extensions for a variety of mag. lengths and capacity.
2) tacticle accesories. When a company comes out with any new gadget, the Rem. 870 is usually the first pump they make it for.
3)functioning in dirty conditions, Mossberg has the Rem. beat here. However I've shot whole hunting seasons in mud and cold with a Rem. 870 without any problem.

These are some of the reason that I prefer the Remington 870, but I do own a couple of Mossbergs and they work.

As I stated at the top either of these weapons will work, see if one of your friends will let you shoot his 870, or 500 and see which one you like better.
Old September 18, 1999, 01:39 PM   #3
pete80

The Mossberg 590A1 is Mil-Spec (passed some horrific Department of Defense tests by not malfunctioning after several thousand rounds) You can find them in the $350 range.
Old September 18, 1999, 03:19 PM   #4
Bill Bryant

For home defense I don't think it matters whether your gun has a steel receiver or an aluminum trigger guard. After all, are you going to be banging it around outside a lot, or keeping it inside by your bed? You said personal defense, not military spec ops.

I picked the 1300 Defender because it comes from the factory with the bigger magazine already on it, and I want extra follow-up shots without having to modify my weapon.

By the way, I've put hundreds of 3" mag. rounds through my 1300 without a hitch. Seems plenty tough.

Whatever you buy, practice, practice, practice. Otherwise, you're just poorer and the owner of a dangerous knick-knack.

------------------
Bill Bryant

Old September 18, 1999, 08:20 PM   #5
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Mossberg 590A1.

------------------
"There is no limit to stupidity. Space itself is said to be bounded by its own curvature, but stupidity continues beyond infinity."
RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac