The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 16, 2011, 10:25 AM   #1
cimcw

Breachers ???

I recently had the opportunity to check out an 870 that was being carried by my local police dept. It had a 16-18" barrel with a Royal Arms breacher attached. It was really impressive. Think I am going to put one on my gun. I saw them on GB and the price is not that bad. I guess if you truly want a tactical shotgun you need one of these. Also saw them at the Royal Arms website. They have lots of interesting stuff. Though mostly for Law Enforcement.

What do you guys think??

If I end up getting one I will post photos.
Chris
Old June 16, 2011, 10:35 AM   #2
Lee Lapin

Waste of time and money for anyone to spend their own $$$ doing that to a personal shotgun. If it's an issue shotgun, and some .gov org pays for it, and it's your job to trot up to the front of the stack when somebody calls "Breacher up," it's a different deal.

Otherwise, it's wannabee.

I guess if you truly want a tactical shotgun you need one of these.

Nope. There are no "tactical shotguns" in the hands of armed citizens. Concentrate (and spend your hard earned $$$) on training and practice, not doodads that make your gun look kewel. You can become a tactical shotgun shooter, but you don't need a "tactical shotgun" to do it. A plain jane riot gun will do to learn with.

And we're all still learning.

There it is...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Last edited by Lee Lapin; June 16, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:42 AM   #3
Nickel Plated

And whose doors do you plan on breaching with it.
You certainly don't NEED a breacher for a "tactical" shotgun, or even a "tactical-looking" shotgun.
If you just like the way it looks then it's your money, but most other shooters are not going to take you very seriously with it.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:46 AM   #4
C0untZer0

When you're running late and you don't want to stop to open your front door - BLAM !

And if a family member has been in the washroom for too long....

BLAM !

They are very useful.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:47 AM   #5
TeamSinglestack

Quote:
Waste of time and money...
Quote:
...it's wannabee.
Ditto.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
oneounceload

Quote:
I guess if you truly want a tactical shotgun you need one of these.
No you don't.
Old June 16, 2011, 11:46 AM   #7
cimcw

I guess that I am looking for the "cool" factor. Another reason is that it acts as a muzzle brake of sorts.
Old June 16, 2011, 12:16 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

"YO Hogdogs"... "Yer needed on the soapbox!"

That is what I got from the thread starter... First and foremost... THERE AIN'T NO SUCHA THING AS A TACTICAL FIREARM!!! NONE!!! Tactical is a mindset. I am tactical with the use of toilet paper... I carefully roll it around my hand, remove the now square shaped folded section, wipe, fold into a triangle and wipe again... But I do not buy tactical toilet paper.

Secondly, a breacher requires the use of special frangible breaching ammo to breach a door with as little risk to the gun holder as possible.

Breaching an entrance is considered "Dynamic entry"... So you now own a "Home Offense" shotgun.

Third, The diameter of the breacher being larger than the muzzle will toatally screw up my ability to shoot as accurately as I do with my naked muzzle and brass bead. The brass bead is rarely needed and in those cases it is small enuff not to even get my attention...

Now I turn the soap box over to the next in line...

Brent
Old June 16, 2011, 01:04 PM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

cim, Please do not take offense at my posts... I am a set in my ways sort and these "trends" are just that... they come and go. As for cool... Where I come from "Cool equals Smooth" Cool also equals CLASS!

These guns with a flat/matte finish are posing as a Mil. Spec. Parkerized finish. Parkerized is COOL!!! It is a rust resistant, chip resistant finish that requires far less care and maintenance than many other finishes that makes this finish ideal for our military folks who have far better things to fight than rust.

These guns most are buying are simply lacking the man hour investment to make them smooth before being "blued" with the same "hot salts" as a nice shiny gun. Bluing offers a level of rust control so long as water is quickly and fully removed. The flat/matte blue surface rusts very easy. A water drop don't bead on it and it is near impossible to swipe away all of the moisture in one swipe with a kleenex.

Yet the makers know the P.T. Barnum saying very well... "SUCKERS, There is one born every minute." They are selling ya'll these "tacky-kewl" "ass-ault" weapons at a premium while they invest less in them with their cheap, non-fiber reinforced synthetic stocks and un finished metal.

Folks are paying $100 or more for a lesser grade gun with equal specs and features... So Back to "COOL"...

This gun with the nice lookin' wood and shiny blue 18 inch barrel is what I, personally speaking of course, consider "COOL"...

If I had bought one of the "tactical" guns and then learned this tidbit, I would take high offense to being chumped out by a gun maker I trusted and gave my money too.

Brent
Old June 16, 2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Mudinyeri

Don't worry, cimcw, you're not the only guy in the world that wants a "cool" or "tactical" looking gun.

Lots of people buy lots of accessories for their guns that have no real use ... or accessories that could be useful but for which the owners have had no training to take advantage of the usefulness.

Why, even hogdogs' picture has a pistol grip in it. Many people would react in a similar fashion to a pistol-grip-only shotgun as you have seen others react to your breacher.

Welcome to the forum.

Personally, I'd skip the breacher AND the pistol grip. I do have an older version of the gun in hogdogs' picture, however.
Old June 16, 2011, 02:18 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention, I would immediately sell the pistol grip to someone who acted interested for $15 and spend that on more ammo...
Brent
Old June 16, 2011, 02:21 PM   #12
shortwave

Also...my tacticool shotguns would be either my Rem 1100 or S&W riot gun. Both of which I've had for about 30yrs.,shot/ran more than a few combat course's with and can operate either blindfolded. No fancy doodads or switchs to possibly complicate an already most stressful situation such as something going bump in the night.

I want it as plain and simple as possible.

Many,many moons ago when I would come home a bit inebriated and couldn't find the front door keyhole, a breacher/loads may have come in handy. Boy I'm glad I outgrew those days.

Now, I was once into building street rods and motorcycles that weren't everyday drivers also. If you want to build a tacticool shotgun,go for it. If it were me though, I'd have a separate plain HD shotgun.
YMMV

Last edited by shortwave; June 16, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old June 16, 2011, 03:42 PM   #13
markj

Quote:
THERE AIN'T NO SUCHA THING AS A TACTICAL FIREARM
Thats a tactical statement if I ever read one paint it black add a rail and many fancy items and viola it is tactical

Them tactical things make me smile but I am old and do not understand the new ideas these folks have.

Make sure you get some swat pants too
Old June 16, 2011, 03:53 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Make sure you get some swat pants too
Must have bloused legs too...! If the gun is an HD weapon, you need to wear the black/OD/khaki/digital BDU's as jammies too!

Brent
Old June 16, 2011, 04:09 PM   #15
Mudinyeri

Quote:
If the gun is an HD weapon, you need to wear the black/OD/khaki/digital BDU's as jammies too!
Are the fleece ones OK?
Old June 16, 2011, 04:10 PM   #16
shortwave

Do sweat pants count???
Old June 16, 2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm with Lee and Brent, etc. What you need is ammo, practice time and lessons from a genuine Shotgun Sensei.
Old June 16, 2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Rob228

I'm not sure how many on here have done any ballistic breaching, but I have a bit of a background in this area. That being said, NONE of the breaching shotguns in our platoon, or any other DA (Dynamic Assault, formerly Direct Action, but someone with something shiny on their collar enjoys changing acronyms all the time) had any type of "breaching attachment". The correct standoff for a breaching round being fired into a hinge or doorknob is 0-2", we never needed any kind of gizmo to tell us where to hold the barrel. It does not serve any purpose other than to separate you from your money.
Old June 16, 2011, 10:40 PM   #19
Lee Lapin

it acts as a muzzle brake of sorts.

Again, not likely. The ports are big enough, all right, but they aren't angled to pull the gun forward, and the gas flow in a shotgun isn't really fast enough to do a noticeable amount of good. The brake on my Serbu (.50 BMG rifle, http://www.serbu.com/top/bfg50.php to see a picture ) works, all right - but spectators can't stand right beside the shooter when it fires or they'll get blasted. THAT'S the kind of jet effect that makes a brake work. Put an empty soda can on the shooting bench outside your right elbow and when you touch off the rifle it'll blow the can 12- 15 feet to the rear. As with any other porting in shotguns, about all the standoff device will do is make the gun sound louder. Take a look at what one of the best known names in the shotgun game has to say about porting - http://184.154.228.17/~shotgunr/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=127 .

Royal Arms' storefront seems to be having some problems, so I can't see their prices. I see Botach lists barrels with the breaching standoff installed for $249. Someone had the standoffs alone for sale on GunBroker for $85 each ( http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=234897998 ) but they'd still require installation by a 'smith, which would be more $$$. $$$ better spent on training and practice IMHO.

I can tell you from personal experience you don't want "fangs" on the muzzle of a gun you're going to really use/carry. I put a Phantom flash suppressor on an M4gery I built once upon a time (see a pic at http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yanke...yhm-28-5c2.htm ) and it wasn't long before I took it off and replaced it with the de-fanged version ( http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Yanke...yhm-28-5c1.htm ). The things get hung up an anything they get close to and are a royal pain in the butt to boot. Wait till one of them pokes you a few times and see how much you like it.

BUT - it's your gun and your money. You can do whatever you want with it...

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 17, 2011, 08:56 AM   #20
PJR

You may of course adorn your gun with whatever accessories you wish whether they are practical or not. If you have a burning desire for a breacher then I'd suggest having your gun machined to accept choke tubes and buy a breaching choke that will give you the same look. This way you can remove the breacher if you tire of it and have the additional flexibility of changing chokes.
Old June 17, 2011, 12:35 PM   #21
darkgael

defs

"Tactical" refers to how you use a shotgun, not what it is.

Pete
Old June 17, 2011, 01:23 PM   #22
shortwave

I'm just not a big fan of hanging unnecessary tacticool hardware off of a SD/HD gun that I may(GOD forbid) have to someday justifiably take someones life with. This same gun will end up as evidence in court procedings and some atty. will surely point out the fact to the jury that I couldn't wait to shoot someone cause this gun looks like something out of starwars.
This then puts just one more burden on my atty trying to prove I'm not some itchy fingered, Rambo wanting someone to break in my house so I can kill them.

My atty fee's will probably already cost me everything I've got. No since in making matters worse.
Old June 17, 2011, 01:33 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

Home Offense Shotgun - LOL -

Thanks, Brent!
Old June 17, 2011, 01:55 PM   #24
MashieNiblick

aw come on hogdogs

everyone knows the tru tactical mind only uses one tp square at a time, three wipes per. . . .

- MN
Old June 17, 2011, 01:56 PM   #25
MashieNiblick

or newspaper when in a pinch. . .

- MN