The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 27, 2009, 12:49 PM   #1
Elvishead

Changed guns and tactics for the time being.

I live in NW Vegas, and there was some serious police activity going on in my neighborhood, serious cop cars and heli's flying super close to my house.

I had my S&W 327 M&P loaded (.357 8 shot's) hot, but felt I should get the CZ75 out of storage, with 16 rounds 9mm loaded hot, and have a back up mag.

I never felt before I wanted to change guns before, but the CZ75 just seemed more logical at this time.

Now this was instinctual, and I didn't take a second thought about it.

I still keep the big .357 ready to go by my bed, but I think, if I know of a potential danger ahead of time, I'd like to have more fire power (9mmx16+mag) than a more powerful fire (.357X8).

But if I'm thrown off guard or surprised? I want the .357. So I still keep it bed side.

True story, happened yesterday.
Old November 27, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Doc Intrepid

When the zombies come through the wall, you'll likely want more than a handgun...

Nothing handheld works 100% of the time!

Old November 27, 2009, 01:01 PM   #3
Elvishead

Quote:
Doc Intrepid:

When the zombies come through the wall, you'll likely want more than a handgun...

Nothing handheld works 100% of the time!
Your right, I should have got out my 12 gauge, but it's 1200 miles away, and I don't want to buy another one, along with my M44 (762x54).
Old November 27, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
Old Wanderer

I should have got out my 12 gauge, but it's 1200 miles away, and I don't want to buy another one, along with my M44 (762x54).

You can never have too many guns.......
Old November 27, 2009, 04:29 PM   #5
Firepower!

For scenarios like this nothing works better than a Kalashnikov with drum mag loaded and a 10-12 spare mags in UTG Jacket, that can also house a pistol + 4 mags, and some shotgun shells.
Old November 28, 2009, 12:20 AM   #6
Elvishead

Quote:
You can never have too many guns.......
You can never have to much money either.
Old November 28, 2009, 02:30 AM   #7
Hook686

There is nothing logical about instintive reactions. Take care of yourself as best you can. I see nothing wrong with an 8 shot .357 magnum, unless you are one poor shot.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 28, 2009, 05:48 AM   #8
Elvishead

Quote:
There is nothing logical about instintive reactions.
I don't know about that, or what your point is, but for some reason, I pulled out the CZ.

I think it was because I can rapid fire the CZ better.

I guess the helicopter flying overhead and police cars going crazy all over the place took me out of my comfort zone, but non the less, I was well armed either way you see it, and I was ready, good or bad.

PS: I keep my little .38 snub usually by my side, and that should have been fine.
Old November 28, 2009, 08:18 AM   #9
Glenn Dee

OK... cool thread.

If that little voice in your head told you to up-gun.... you did the right thing. Its called the survival instinct. You felt a threat... and instictively reacted to it. IMO you did the right thing.
Old November 28, 2009, 01:48 PM   #10
Hook686

Quote:
I don't know about that, or what your point is,
The point being, if you pulled out the CZ, you do not need to analyze it. Use it and stay safe.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 28, 2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvishead
I still keep the big .357 ready to go by my bed, but I think, if I know of a potential danger ahead of time, I'd like to have more fire power (9mmx16+mag) than a more powerful fire (.357X8).

I can't say as I understand that reasoning.

No matter what the threat is you're still dealing with one target at a time. If the 9mm is sufficient for the first threat out of 4 then it's equally sufficient for the first and only threat. Likewise, if you want more power to deal with a single intruder then you need equally more power to deal with the first of 4 intruders.

In other words, either both of those guns are sufficient for either situation... or neither of them is sufficient for either situation.
Old November 29, 2009, 12:53 PM   #12
Elvishead

Quote:
I think it was because I can rapid fire the CZ better.
Did you read that?

Of course, I could have got my 627 V-Comp out with a compensator. But I'm low on premium HPs in .357 too, and have plenty of premium 9mm +Ps GDHP's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun S&W 327 w Light c 007.jpg (146.7 KB, 57 views)
Old November 29, 2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Did you read that?
Sure, I read the whole thing. My point is that if the 9mm is good enough for multiple threats then it doesn't make sense that's it not equally good, or better, for single threats.
Old November 30, 2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Elvishead

Quote:
Sure, I read the whole thing. My point is that if the 9mm is good enough for multiple threats then it doesn't make sense that's it not equally good, or better, for single threats.
9mm was my first choice of gun I bought, and never felt it was under powered, but it's a toss up to which I prefer, the 8 shot .357, or the 16 (Really 17) shot 9mm. My CZ doesn't have a light or laser rail, but my TRR8 revolver does have the picatinny rail for a light I have mounted, so that is my bump in the night gun when I just wake up in the dark.

I still never did find out what happen, they just built a 7-11 store about 400 ft from my house, so maybe they got robbed. Who know's?
Old November 30, 2009, 12:15 PM   #15
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I see. That makes sense.

So, what you really need is a "rad" dual holster so you can have one on each hip!
Old December 11, 2009, 08:31 PM   #16
JohnN

Hey Elvis, have you ever shot that .357 inside in the dark, let alone one with a compensator? I think if you did you would adopt that CZ pretty quick. The muzzle blast inside your house without ear protection along with the muzzle flash will leave you unable to see or hear. IMHO, the 9mm is a much better choice in an enclosed space, if you do your homework you can find a 9 mil load that has low flash.
Old January 6, 2010, 02:38 AM   #17
Elvishead

Quote:
JohnN

Hey Elvis, have you ever shot that .357 inside in the dark, let alone one with a compensator? I think if you did you would adopt that CZ pretty quick. The muzzle blast inside your house without ear protection along with the muzzle flash will leave you unable to see or hear. IMHO, the 9mm is a much better choice in an enclosed space, if you do your homework you can find a 9 mil load that has low flash.
No, but when I sleep I uaually wear eye plugs. Actually the gun I usually keep closest to me most of the time is my S&W 638 snub with Gold Dot SB which have low flash. My 9mm has 9mm Gold Dots also.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Mastifflover

Eye Plugs?

How exactly do those work? I think that you did good by trusting your instincts to change guns. For some reason they're usually right.
Old January 6, 2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Diamond LawDawg

Damn Sam

I just knew Vegas was tougher than the westside of Chicago or Ford Heights or Chicago Heights lmao get a gernade launcher and sit on your roof
Old January 6, 2010, 11:48 AM   #20
Balog

If I was seriously worried about home defense I'd sell one of the fancy pistols and buy a shotgun/rifle. Just imho, ymmv etc
Old January 6, 2010, 02:48 PM   #21
Elvishead

Quote:
Diamond LawDawg

I just knew Vegas was tougher than the westside of Chicago or Ford Heights or Chicago Heights lmao get a gernade launcher and sit on your roof
OMG, I got lost looking for fuel there. I never seen a war zone before!

TBS, I should have been paying attention to my gauge.