The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2006, 11:07 PM   #1
Buckmaster74

Sabot slugs: Anyone re/hand load them?

These are the products I know to be available.

1. Kits from Slugs R Us (Hastings laser accurate sabots unloaded)

2. Collet Cup Sabots from BPI (With or without Speer 45 or 50 cal bullet)

3. Lyman and Lee molds (Loaded in standard trap wads)

Are any of these any good? If you know of something better, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Rottweiler

I have used the Lee and Lyman molds. The Lee slugs didn't perfom very well at all for me. Dinner plate groups at 25 yards. The Lymans are a different story, They shoot coffee cup size groups at 100 yards out of the same gun.
Old January 4, 2006, 04:07 PM   #3
Poodleshooter

I have good luck with the Lee slugs over a charge of Universal, or using my own Green Dot and Unique loads. This is in a fully rifled Mossberg 500 24" barrel.
The slugs mike out at about .68,which happens to be my bore size.
Old January 5, 2006, 01:10 PM   #4
Buckmaster74

Poodle,

What kind of performace do you get from the lee slugs?
Old January 5, 2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Poodleshooter

In the mossberg,I've tested them at 25yds (one big ragged hole of torn up paper since the wads impact close by) and at 50yds. They were grouping about 4" at 50yds IIRC. This is with iron sights and the rifled Mossberg barrel on a very cold day. I'm still developing my loads for them. The load I used was closer in performance to a "reduced recoil" slug-about 1320fps,IIRC.
I don't stock most of the recommended powders for slugs (HS-6,HS-7,etc), so I have done some improvising based on 1oz lead shot loads. The blue dot loads that the books recommend were absurdly large in charge weight and ignited very poorly in cold weather,which led me to using slightly faster powders.
Old January 5, 2006, 05:27 PM   #6
Bobshouse

I pour and load my own Lee 1 ounce drive key slugs. Shoot them from my slug barrel on my 835 Mossberg. Great accuracy, can shoot 3" groups at 100 yards.

Now on the other hand, the Lyman slugs for some reason don't shoot worth a crap. I think the wad keeps throwing them off center, many keyhole. Someone here posted months ago about loading them with buffer material, but that results in higher pressures. Found it easier to sell the mould and stick with the Lee.

The drive key design really holds the slugs into the wads for positive rotation down the rifled barrels for great accuracy! They don't get swallowed up the cavity like the Lyman slugs.

Bob
Old January 6, 2006, 01:40 PM   #7
Buckmaster74

Anyone try the slugs r us or BPI sabots?
Old January 6, 2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Leftoverdj

The Lee slugs are very particular about the wad and hull combination. I'm still looking for good results. Got sidetracked when I had a Lyman Forster type mould recut with driving bands to bring it to full bore diameter.
Old January 8, 2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Ruger4570

I have had good luck with the Lee slug. BUT, I have experimented a LOT. I have tried different wads and have even paper patched the slug to insure good contact with the bore. Some thing work better than others. I use 2 different rifled guns, a Ithaca Deerslayer II and a Rem 870. Neither seems to like what the other likes. So it is truly a case of playing around to find what YOUR gun likes. I have shot the Lees into around 2" at 100 yards with my Ithaca, mostly 3" to 4" with the Remy. As far as factory sabots, both guns seem to like the Rem Copper Solid and Hornady slugs, with Lightfield very close behind. Most othere is my guns seem to be so so. As usual, some being better than others.
Old January 14, 2006, 01:35 AM   #10
Buckmaster74

What nobody out there that has tried something other than the Lee or Lyman slugs?
Old January 14, 2006, 01:43 PM   #11
Rottweiler

Never found another brand of mold to try other than Lyman and Lee or I would have.
Old January 16, 2006, 12:23 AM   #12
Buckmaster74

Ok Guys,

I guess nobody out there has tried the Slugs R Us or CCS Sabots?

If I were to go with the Lee or Lyman slugs which should I go with? What lead and loading data should I use? What kind of accuracy can I expect from an 870 with 23" cant barrell?

I was really hoping that I might find some opinions on the SLRUS and CCS's. I am trying to find after market components or kits, to load comparable ammo with the big names.

Thanks to all who have replied.
Old January 16, 2006, 10:42 AM   #13
Rottweiler

My gun that made the groups I mentioned before is an 870 with a 26" hastings heavy barrel with a cantilever mount.

Buckmaster, Got a link for Slugs R Us or CCS? I'm feelin a little experimental and would like to look into these.
Old January 19, 2006, 07:25 PM   #14
fatboy02

ballisic products

Check out this link, I am going to try some of the dangerous game and BluForce. I do not reload (yet) but my girlfriends dad does I am going to have him teach me with these for slugs. Ballistic Products has a pretty good catalog for free too.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi...lug/slugs1.htm