The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2002, 06:55 PM   #1
Sisco

Lead bullets & 30 carbine

I've got a bunch of .308 hard cast gas checked 100gr hollow points & 110gr solid bullets for .30 carbine but can't find any load data.
Anyone?
Old October 18, 2002, 12:35 AM   #2
Cheapo

Try jacketed data minus 5-10%. If your velocities are the same as "indicated" max loads for jacketed bullets of the same weight, the load is at max.

In some rare but not unheard of circumstances, you can wind up with the max load being the same weight of powder, for both cast and jacketed. Velocities are usually within 50 fps or less of each other. This is based on careful study of published data which includes pressure readings.

I've had good results with both H110 and WW296, using lead, in the .30 Carbine. 100-yard accuracy of 2 inches, five round groups, iron sights.
Old October 18, 2002, 11:13 AM   #3
dick w. holliday

i don't remember the load but i think i was using H108 and didn't have good results....my rifle is an old Winchester carbine and i guess my rifling must be shot out but my accuracy was nonexistant....my rounds went all over everywhere at 100yds and the rifle functioning started to get slow and i guessed i was filling up the gas system with lead so i wrote off that experiment...the bullet i was using was a hard cast Valiant vbullet of 100 grains or so.......hope you have better luck than i did.....Dick
Old October 18, 2002, 11:52 AM   #4
Sisco

The gas system fouling does concern me.
I've been using H110, Loaded some up with Lil' Gun yesterday but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
Anyone else use Lil' Gun? I loaded 14grains under a 110gr jacketed bullet, max listed by Hodgdon is 15.