The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 15, 2014, 02:19 PM   #1
larson1385

1970 thompson contender 410/45

this is my first contender. i am wondering if it is mandatory to remove the choke when shooting 3 inch or 2 1/2 inch 410 000 buck.obviosly it must be removed for 410 slug or 45 long colt. any info you could provide me would be great
Old July 15, 2014, 02:59 PM   #2
Pahoo

Great question !!!

That is one great question, mostly because I have never seen it before. You seem to have a good idea on the choke's usage for shot and removal on a single projectile. I don't see it being "mandatory" and my SWAG on this is to keep it. .....

TC/Smith, is still supporting these and would suggest giving them a call. Kindly let us know what they say. The largest shot I have shot out of my 14, is #4's .....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 16, 2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

agree, great question... I'd probably leave mine in also, since the buck shot is smaller diameter than the bore, probably a little tighter group with the choke in ???

as an aside... I have a custom 444 barrel, made on a 44 Hot Shot barrel ( TC's offering using a 44 mag case, & a huge shot tube to equal a normal shot shell ) I load my 444 cases like a 3" .410, & load a shot load, a .375" round ball load, & light 444 bullet loads, as this barrel also has the straight rifled choke tube... I do get tighter groups with my 444, with ball loads, with the choke tube in ( at 15 yards, pretty much shoots a 1" hole, with the choke tube, & a 3" group with it out... hotshot choke tubes screw on the outside... buck / ball loads might be a little hard on the threads of a screw in barrel, with internal threads, like the .410 barrel

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; July 16, 2014 at 10:09 AM.
Old July 16, 2014, 10:46 AM   #4
Doyle

Larson, be aware that S&W (current owners of T/C) just announced that they are dropping all support for Gen 1 Contenders (what you have). This means no spare parts at all from the factory. That being the case, you may wish to start searching the internet now and grab a few things (like springs, pins, etc) just in case they break.
Old July 16, 2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

good info DOYLE I didn't know that ( & I have 5 1st generation actions )
Old July 19, 2014, 03:44 PM   #6
D Thomson

TC choke tube

Wasn't the choke meant to counteract the affect of the riflings on the shot ?

For parts for your contenders try Home of TC performance, they have just about anything you could want.
Old July 19, 2014, 04:19 PM   #7
Pahoo

True !!!

Quote:
Wasn't the choke meant to counteract the affect of the riflings on the shot ?
That is correct, the rifling, in the .45 bore. ....

Quote:
Larson, be aware that S&W (current owners of T/C) just announced that they are dropping all support for the Contenders
Not too surprising, especially the frame and it's furniture. I'm guessing that there might be some parts that carried over from the Contenders, to the G-2's. That would not surprise me either ....

Be Safe !!!
Old July 20, 2014, 03:59 AM   #8
larson1385

TC 410/45

Thanx for all the info guys.The Mike Bellm website is awsome .Live long and prosper.
Old July 21, 2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Doyle

I need to modify my original statement about S&W dropping Contender support. It is specifically G1 Contenders they are dropping support for (what the OP has). They are still supplying parts (for the present) for G2 Contenders.
Old July 29, 2014, 08:47 PM   #10
jrothWA

Got a 1978 Contender and ...

called original Customer Service and asked the same question.

It was recommended to keep choke in place to protect threads inside.

So S&W finally made it "official" no more support. They are only interested in the Encore. and forget the people that made T/C a RESPECTED company.